Is 15W-50 M1 EP too thick to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently cleaned out the shelf at my local Target and stocked up on M1 15W-50 EP that was on sale at clearance prices. My '03 Accord V6 calls for 5w-20; my 3.5L Chrysler 300Touring calls for 10W-30. Do you think the M1 would be too thick to use in my Accord?

Typical summer days here are between 85 -100+ degrees. I'm not worried about the "15W" part but rather about the "-50" part. I use the Accord for long trips and although I might feel comfortable using a synthetic oil in the 30 - 40 weight, I wonder whether 50 is just too much.

Living in Texas you should be OK with that oil. There are some on this board that only use M1 15-50 with a long and sucessful history with the heavier wt. oil.But your may be a little sluggish and not get the MPG you had.

Last edited:
You could mix it 50/50 with M1 0W-20 or 5W-20...gets you a 30-weight.

In general, it is pretty thick and may make the engine somewhat 'sluggish' as some have reported, but its not really going to do any harm in a Texas summer (ie, no cold starts to worry about).

I noticed that it meets M-B 229 & 230 spec's. If it okay to use in gasoline and diesel engined Mercedes, how bad can it be? Besides, I like the 15K oil change interval. Even regular M1 & PP don't claim to offer oci that are this long.

That Honda motor will definitely not like that thicker oil.And MB engines are designed altogether differently.you may be able to get away with it in your Chrysler,but as I mentioned above I wouldnt do it.

Honda engines do not like anything thicker than xW30, and believe me: the moment you throw in xW40 or thicker is the time when your engine gonna complain to you in the form of sluggishness, etc.

You don't have to take my word for it: just try it. Just try it and see what happens.

Q.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Say hello to start-up wear with a viscosity like that.

Oh,hello start up wear....nyuch,nyuch,nyuch!!

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Say hello to start-up wear with a viscosity like that.
Wouldn't the film strength be better with 15W-50?

This is just our advice Throck,you make the final decision.But I`m definitely warning you about putting that oil in your Honda.It wont like it.

I have used M1 15W-50 in every vehicle myself, my two daughters, and their husbands have had since 1990. Just as an example: Ford van called for 5W-20. Went 170,000 miles before traded. Chrysler called for 5W-20. went 190,000 before traded. Toyota pickup now has 301,000 and still in use. 1999 Cavalier now has 211,000 miles and used daily. No oil consumption, never a leak or seep, all got/get better than EPA estimates, never an engine problem, no hard starting, no engine noises. Many more with 140,000+ before traded.

I think Mobil 1 15W-50 is the premiere oil for warm climate use. My cold days are 8-12F, and vehicles start before you can release the key. My hot days are 90-95.

I'd stay away from the thicker oil in the Honda, if you want to use it do as addyguy suggested and mix it.

AD

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
I have used M1 15W-50 in every vehicle myself, my two daughters, and their husbands have had since 1990. Just as an example: Ford van called for 5W-20. Went 170,000 miles before traded. Chrysler called for 5W-20. went 190,000 before traded. Toyota pickup now has 301,000 and still in use. 1999 Cavalier now has 211,000 miles and used daily. No oil consumption, never a leak or seep, all got/get better than EPA estimates, never an engine problem, no hard starting, no engine noises. Many more with 140,000+ before traded.

I think Mobil 1 15W-50 is the premiere oil for warm climate use. My cold days are 8-12F, and vehicles start before you can release the key. My hot days are 90-95.

yeah,and those vehicles requiring 5W-20 probably didnt perform to their full potential either.

Use it.

Those motors will probably outlive us both either way. I would be more concerned with the choices on your dinner plate.

Fried chicken or...
boneless, skinless, tasteless chicken breasts.

I too scored on the Target sale of M1 15W-50 EP. $1.74/qt. I'm going to mix it with less viscous oils to reach the desired viscosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back