Is 15W-40 okay in a ECOTEC 4cyl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought the wife a used Saturn ION with 24K miles on a ECOTEC 4cyl engine. When the warranty is up at 36K, I am looking to run 15W-40 weight oil. The manual states 5W-30 and 10W-30 if the former can not be found. Will using a HDEO 15W-40 oil cause any long term problems? Trying to migrate all my 4 vehicles to the same weight oil (15W-40). Thanks for any input.

Hootbro

I would have suggested staying within the recommended viscosity range, however, probably ok where you are.

What are the other vehicles you drive? Maybe they don't need the higher viscosity.

Why not migrate all your vehicles to a HDEO 10W-30? Then again, I just noticed you're in TX. What part? I guess for all regions except for maybe the panhandle, the HDEO 15w40 should work fairly well. However, I think I would feel more comfortable running that brand new vehicle on the 10w30.

But in the bigger picture of things, regular quality maintenance is probably more important than Vis selection.

[ August 07, 2004, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
I would have suggested staying within the recommended viscosity range, however, probably ok where you are.

What are the other vehicles you drive? Maybe they don't need the higher viscosity.

About what I would have said. I would pay close attention to noise on cold start up if you insist on using the 15W.

How is the vehicle driven? Trip length? The 15W40 would be fine for long interstate trips at high speed in hot weather. If it is driven a mile or two to work and shut off for 8 hrs. then something lighter would be more appropriate.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

Originally posted by tpi:
How is the vehicle driven? Trip length? The 15W40 would be fine for long interstate trips at high speed in hot weather. If it is driven a mile or two to work and shut off for 8 hrs. then something lighter would be more appropriate.

Good point!

Would these variables even matter in the Texas heat?

Or if the engine see's both short trips and long hi-way spins why not use a nice 30wt that you can trust for both duties until engine oil consumption depicts the need for a heavier oil as it ages ?

I don't think there is a 30wt available with so low a HT/HS to let the bearings down in that motor .

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

Good point!

Would these variables even matter in the Texas heat?

If it is driven a mile or two to work and shut off for 8 hrs. from December thru February it might. (For you OKies, "when the wind comes rushing down the plain" it doesn't stop at the Red River.)
tongue.gif

I live in San Antonio Texas where it averages 95F+ most of the summer. My other vehicles I am using the 15W-40 HDEO is in a 2002 KIA Sportage 26K miles, 1998 Toyota Corrolla 178K miles and on my 2002 Suzuki 800 Voulusia Motorcycle. I do also have a new 2004 Ford Ranger with a 2.3L but am sticking with the 5W-20 till the warranty runs out at 60K then will probalby go to the 15W-40. My wife is a home health care nurse and rotates between the ION, Sportage and Corrolla with most days using the Sportage now that she has put the Corrolla in semi-retirement with it probably going to our 18 year old daughter who is finally getting her license (pray for me). So in theory, the ION will see days about 1/3 the time being used all day with 1/3 being a grocery getter or 1/3 just sitting.
I do all my own regular maintenance and just would like to keep all the vehicles under one oil from a logistical stand point of not having to juggle 4-5 different weights. Have read here of some state and local govt. motor pools doing this for the same very reason with it running the gambit of small cars to heavy diesel equipment. Thanks for any input.

Hootbro

quote:

Good point!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back