Is 10w30 Valvoline daily protection a blend?

I picked up some 10w30 Valvoline daily protection on clearance recently that is GF-6A, SP rated. 5w20 and 5w30 Valvoline daily protection are advertised as synthetic blends while 10w30 makes no such claim. I checked the Valvoline website and it dosen't say 10w30 is a blend either. My question is since the 10w30 meets the latest GF-6A SP rating is it possible to still be a conventional oil?

I don't know the answer to your question.
Since today's cracking is so advanced over that of decades gone by, with the exceptions of added PAOs and Esters specifically, isn't the question moot?
If a modern oil is good enough to have an SP rating, isn't this a "six of one, half a dozen of the other" situation?

Also, hasn't the designation, 'blend' been disparaged here?

1682020579450.jpg

The only thing I can definitively determine from the SDS is that it has some group I in it, the "64742-54-7" I think can encompass both group II and group III, although the way it's describes it as just "hydrotreated" leaves me to believe it's probably group II. Looks like it's "conventional" but a conventional with a lot of group II that may very well be "group II+"

View attachment 151667
The only thing I can definitively determine from the SDS is that it has some group I in it, the "64742-54-7" I think can encompass both group II and group III, although the way it's describes it as just "hydrotreated" leaves me to believe it's probably group II. Looks like it's "conventional" but a conventional with a lot of group II that may very well be "group II+"
Thanks for the info.

I don't know the answer to your question.
Since today's cracking is so advanced over that of decades gone by, with the exceptions of added PAOs and Esters specifically, isn't the question moot?
If a modern oil is good enough to have an SP rating, isn't this a "six of one, half a dozen of the other" situation?

Thanks for the helpful information, it is much appreciated. I don't want to offend anyone by mentioning "blended" oils. I'm still learning.

Last edited:

Good to know.

Was at one of the auto parts stores few days ago and saw a few jugs of "Synthetic Blend" that were cheaper than the "Synthetic" jugs. They must have missed the memo also! :ROFLMAO:

I'm just gonna throw this out there but it literally says on Valvoline's website: "synthetic blend"

DAILY PROTECTION SYNTHETIC BLEND MOTOR OIL​

I'm still not sure I think it's still only "conventional" because the page that has all the Valvoline products on it has daily protection along with MaxLife and MaxLife+ listed under Conventional/Syn Blend, and the two MaxLife products are all synblend, and the PDS for 10W-30 doesn't mention synblend but 5W-20, 5W-30 specifically mention it in the PDS, and on the old Valvoline website before the new one, There were two seperate pages for Syn-blend Daily Protection which had 5W-30 and 5W-20 and then another for Conventional Daily Protection which was all the other grades. I wonder if Valvoline is going through a restructuring right now since they've been in the process of and have recently completed the sale to Aramco, it's like their website has gotten worse to use and who ever should have been doing the QC on the packaging isn't doing there job because the labeling on 10W-40 and 20W-50 MaxLife incorrectly displays the API Starburst and claims that it meets or exceeds are requirements of ILSAC GF-6A which is flat out impossible for 20W-50 and still improper on the 10W-40.

Back