is 1000 miles too early to change the factory fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Just looking for opinions on changing the new factory fill at about 1000 miles?

It depends on what vehicle and what new oil you're going to put in it.

Depends on the car. Some new Buicks require a 600 first oil change. Most Hondas don't require one till at least 5k and changing it too early and cause issues with them like burning alot of oil.

IMO depends upon the oil used.

To me, it is a "why not?" situaton. If your car doesnt use a special break-in oil, then why not change it early, get some fresh oil in there and get used to working on your car? If there is ever a time when there could be some junk in there, it is when the engine is new.

That said, if the oil is a specialty product, like the high Mo oils that Subaru and Honda use, then I'd change it by the book, as there is method in their madness.

I like to pull an early UOA if possible to help see what kind of oil is in there and if there is any early flag. It wont trend anything, but there are certain things you can look out for.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

That said, if the oil is a specialty product, like the high Mo oils that Subaru and Honda use, then I'd change it by the book, as there is method in their madness.

Or use another high moly oil like the Idemitsu made Subaru 0W-20 or the Toyota 0W-20.

We know that fresh oil produces more engine wear. The effect is small but measurable. Thus, early oil changing is contra-productive during a break in.

The early oil change benefit is a myth from the old days when break in generated lots of debris and oil filtration was poor.

There's a valid argument to both sides of it, but my opinion is you should go by the factory recommended OCI. I don't believe in changing it early.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Depends on the car. Some new Buicks require a 600 first oil change. Most Hondas don't require one till at least 5k and changing it too early and cause issues with them like burning alot of oil.

I'd like to see the proof that an early change is what caused that oil burning.

I haven't seen any definitive proof either way. It may be that unless specifically directed one way or another by the manufacturer (or maybe even in that case) the most OK thing to do is the thing that helps you sleep best.

How many times has this question been asked here now? And every time it's asked, you get the same divided opinions: some will tell you not to touch it until the first scheduled maintenance interval; others will tell you that you should have dumped it long time ago.

My answer to this question is: do whatever makes you sleep better at night. We tend to over-analyze things here on BITOG, but I guess that's what makes BITOG BITOG.

Originally Posted By: rationull
the most OK thing to do is the thing that helps you sleep best.

Beat me to the punch!
cheers3.gif

Also, most manufacturers specify a time limit on OCIs as well as a mileage limit (e.g. 7.5 months/7500 miles). Any argument that says the factory fill should be left in for wear-in reasons would seem to say that an initial OCI based on time which is "early" by mileage would have detrimental effect on the engine, right?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: rationull
the most OK thing to do is the thing that helps you sleep best.

Beat me to the punch!
cheers3.gif

Now we're even!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
We know that fresh oil produces more engine wear. The effect is small but measurable. Thus, early oil changing is contra-productive during a break in.

Do we really know that?
Higher wear metals in UOA of new oil may have a number of explanations including the greater cleaning effect of fresh oil.

Lots of varying opinions. I kind of split the difference on my wife's Mazda 6. I changed the factory fill to PYB at 2500 miles, changed from PYB to PP at 5K, and have been doing 5K oci's with PP ever since. I have been using filters that I picked up on sale. It has been a mix of Purolator P1, Bosch Premium and Bosch distance plus. This makes sense to me and I feel good about it as well.

OK one more post. If I had thought it through earlier I could've put all my comments in one post, but I didn't
smile.gif

Anecdote:

Bought a 2007 Civic in 2007. Did maintenance by the book. First oil change by OLM at somewhere around 6000 miles. Left the filter on for two OCIs. Again, by the book. Car burned a little oil and trended upward until it hit about 1 quart per 2k miles. Tried a variety of oils (all high quality conventionals or blends like Motorcraft) until I lost patience with it.

Bought a 2008 Mazda3 for the wife in 2009. Left over dealer stock, manufactured in late 2007 IIRC. Changed the oil at 1200-1500 miles or so I think, after I realized the car was a year old. Oil level drop is either not measurable or on the order of 1/4 quart in a 5-6000 mile oil change.

My point is not that the first OCI caused the oil burning (I seriously doubt it). My point is there are too many variables at play to understand the full picture without access to the manufacturer's data. Nontechnical reasons (e.g. disallowing thicker oil for CAFE reasons or extending OCIs when the manufacturer starts to cover oil changes for a few years) play in as well so you can't say that "by the book" is 100% guaranteed to be the best choice in all dimensions.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
It has been measured in the labs. Published in the SAE literature.

citation???

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
There's a valid argument to both sides of it, but my opinion is you should go by the factory recommended OCI. I don't believe in changing it early.

There is no way I am going to run the FF for 8000 miles as suggested. Now, that being said, once change the oil and put what I want into the engine, I'll run it the 8000 miles as per the olm suggestion.

BTW, this is my new 2011 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7L Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back