Is 0w-50 possible? If so who offers it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay ..on another board someone linked to this AMC site where one of the members, noted for "repackaging" products and hyping their advantages, displayed a "new" oil specifically designed for AMC engines (a different label on HDEO). Basically everything he said was apparently true about the 15w-40.

Later in the thread he mentioned a 0w-50 for a winter oil. Looking at the visc chart ..it appears marginally possible to be below 5w- and at 50 (somewhere around 17 +/- CST) ..but I KNOW that this guy isn't into anything except repackaging.

Who makes such an oil?

click click!

Oh ..I don't even speculate on the need for such an oil ..just the existance of it ..and who makes it. I'm just questioning this guy's rhetoric. He's done a good job (if you read the thread in the "click-click" link) of repackaging HDEO diesel oil and reselling it under his banner. I'm all for free enterprise and whatnot ...but he also claims to have a 0w-50 in the works ..which since I KNOW he's NOT a refiner or blender ...where's he getting it from???

[ June 12, 2004, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

I've seen references to 0w-50 oils on some russian websites, but haven't been able to find out who makes them and what the exact specs are. Maybe Primus knows something, being close to that area?

Mobil makes or made a 5w-50 I believe. It's another "one size fits all" oil that has little use anymore.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Mobil makes or made a 5w-50 I believe. It's another "one size fits all" oil that has little use anymore.

Yep, in Europe and Australia Mobil makes a 5w50. Don't forget that Castrol also has Syntec 5w50 in North America, and Quaker State also makes a 5w50. I am pretty sure Pennzoil still has a 5w50 too.

Mobil1 5w-50 is practically the only M1 sold in department stores here. The other grades are much harder to come by. 10w-30 is recommended for LS'1 motirs here and the HSV/ Monaro's. The others grades are alos much dearer. 5w-50 is about $60- per 5 litres whilst the 10w-30 is $90+.

The dealer of my Nissan 200sx turbo offered either a blend 7.5w-30 (factory install) or if I wanted a synthetic 5w-50. No thanks.

If it weren't for Castrol's fishy advertising of group III oils as "fully synthetic," I'd still be using the "obsolete" 5W-50 in my obsolete '96 Audi. I myself feel quite obsolete these days.
tongue.gif

Not sure why the question if there is a 0W-50 stirs up emotions and makes people question why "90% of drivers" would want that kind of oil. What's THAT got to do with ANYTHING? On one hand, people here want a large variety of products to choose from, at the same time they want to limit the available choice based on their personal preferences and/or needs. Come on, people...

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
The other grades are much harder to come by. 10w-30 is recommended for LS'1 motirs here and the HSV/ Monaro's. The others grades are alos much dearer. 5w-50 is about $60- per 5 litres whilst the 10w-30 is $90+.

Depends where you buy it
wink.gif
M1 SS 10w30 is $85 for 5 litres from Autobarn, or you can get either M1 SS 0w40 or 10w30 from my local Mobil servo for $69 for 5 litres.

quote:

scroll down, mention of NASA 0w60 at $90 a liter:

The link for synlube kept timing out.

But how do you get a 0w-60? The chart indicates you would TRULY have to be heavier at 212F then at 100F (5w starts @ 90 SUS and 50 ends at over 100+). That is unless they lump 5w and 0w into the same classification (why in the heck would you do that?). Even then 5w peaks out at about 100 SUS and 50 is still over 100 SUS at the high end so it must be heavier then a 50 weight.

Magic oil?

How can this be??
confused.gif

No doubt someone will make it but I wouldn't buy it...have no use for it.

If someone wants to use it more power to them....would love to see the uoa!

quote:

scroll down, mention of NASA 0w60 at $90 a liter:
http://synlube.com/viscosit.htm

Okay ...I found it. But leads me to another question.

Note the lumping of 0W and 5W in the same chart at the same site.
 -

Why would you match 0w with 5w? Under this chart I could call any alleged 0W-x a 5W-x and be just as accurate ..or flawed. I would have naturally assumed that "0W" would be MANDATED to be below 5W in all respects of viscosity at temperature. Just like 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 are, going up or down the scale.
confused.gif

What magical exemption does the "0w" get assigned to pull off this statistical "slight of hand" here??
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
What magical exemption does the "0w" get assigned to pull off this statistical "slight of hand" here??
confused.gif

Well, the obvious question is "Who died and made this chart god?"
grin.gif

The SAE J300 specs ARE different for 0w and 5w oils. This chart is simply inaccurate.

Well ..then (and thank you btw) that makes the existance of a 0w-60 impossible UNLESS you can truly have a fluid get heavier at a higher temp. That is, the bottom end of 5w (which 0w would be assumed to be below) is lower then the lowest 60 weight "weight".

I'm sorry for perceverating on this here ...but the itch must be scratched ..so to speak.

Guess this oil would answer my question: "what are BWM M3/M5/Enzo Ferrari driver's supposed to use in severe cold?" (ie. when a 10W isn't adequate)

Sprintman, just out of curiosity.....what are the average OCI's being done with the 5-50? 10k km? 20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back