Is 0-40 full syn the oil to end all oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading a lot about this oil and it sure sounds like it's the bee's knees. This may be just what I'm looking for as I'm looking to extend my OCI's from 6K using Havoline dino to 12K using M1 0-40. Is anyone else using this stuff? What's your input on this stuff?

Search around and you'll see that it's a pretty popular oil. Seems to shear down in grade a bit initially and then starts to thicken back up. Personally, I'd use Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (a.k.a., "German Castrol" or simply "GC") in any application that you'd run M1 0W-40. Seems far less likely to shear.

Mobil 1 5w-40 is a better built oil and is more shear stable. Why not use this oil instead of the Mobil 1 0w-40?

Their site says it's at 14.3 cSt @ 100C. That's about middle of the road thickness for a xxW-40 weight. I believe it's a tad thinner than Havoline 10W-40 if memory serves correct.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
Mobil 1 5w-40 is a better built oil and is more shear stable. Why not use this oil instead of the Mobil 1 0w-40?

Agreed, M1 5w-40 FTW. 0w40 is fine if you need a thick 30 weight, but if you want a real 40 weight then 5w40.

quote:

Originally posted by bottgers:
I've been reading a lot about this oil and it sure sounds like it's the bee's knees.

It sure is . . . for about 3,500 miles.

After that, it starts to shear down significantly compared to some more robustly formulated alternatives already mentioned. There are now too many UOAs to conlude otherwise. It at least looks like it's VII related. Many of the long OCI runs with it seem to be in huge sump quantities.

For comparable performance, but with genuine OCI stamina, think about Delvac 1. Otherwise, use the 0w-40, but keep the changes shorter.

Compared with M1 5W-40, M1 0W-40 has organo-moly in it, which helps with boundary lubrication -- M1 5W-40 doesn't. This is just a consideration when weighing the pros and cons of each oil.

I am not at all impressed with 0W-40 oil. It shears down and then thickens back up. Do you need a 40 wt?..probably not.

Quote:
"Is 0-40 full syn the oil to end all oils?"

Hard to fathom since most-all vehicle manufacturers nowadays recommend 5W-20 or 5W-30.

"Thin Oils Are In Style".... even slowly going global!

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
Compared with M1 5W-40, M1 0W-40 has organo-moly in it, which helps with boundary lubrication -- M1 5W-40 doesn't. This is just a consideration when weighing the pros and cons of each oil.

organo-moly? huh?
quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
Quote:
"Is 0-40 full syn the oil to end all oils?"

Hard to fathom since most-all vehicle manufacturers nowadays recommend 5W-20 or 5W-30.

"Thin Oils Are In Style".... even slowly going global!

De Germans still prefer thick 30 and 40 weights.
wink.gif

Germans must be slower than the rest of the planet inhabitants....
dunno.gif

I always thought the slowest were us Frenchmen
lol.gif

Come to think of it, I think the Australians compare their oil consistencies with mud of the earth.
rolleyes.gif

m1 0w-40 is good for applications that are designed for long drain oils.

As usual, UOA is necessary to see the best oil for your car, your engine and your driving style.

Some dislike the way m1 0w-40 shears down, but if it shears to a heavy 30wt and still maintains engine cleanliness, I personally dont see a hige issue.

JMH

I don't see where the sheering thing is going to be an issue in my application. Since 30 weight is recommended for my engine, and I haven't seen any data showing the M1 0W-40 sheers to anything less than 30 weight, I don't see a problem using it.

One of the arguments in some earlier discussions about not going with extended drain intervals on the Corolla was its small sump size. I don't consider 4 quarts of oil in a 1.8 liter engine small. I've seen 5 liter and larger v-8's that hold no more than 5 quarts. Relatively speaking, I'd say the Corolla has a fairly large sump.

My main concern is how well will a given oil hold up at the 10K-12K range. Since I already know Havoline dino holds up well up to 6K, I can't imagine a far superior full syn not holding up well out to 12K.

If your engine spec's a 5W-30, why are you considering a specialty oil like 0W-40 which is out of grade? There are 5W-30 oils readily available that will go 10K miles and are superior to the M1 0W-4O in all respects if a 30 weight is needed. Thicker is not better.

No I don't need a 40 weight. The oil recommended for my engine is 5W-30, so the 0W-40 would probably work well. BTW, someone mentioned going with Redline. From what I've seen, the M1 trumps the **** out of Redline.

quote:

Originally posted by Volvohead:

quote:

I've been reading a lot about this oil and it sure sounds like it's the bee's knees.

It sure is . . . for about 3,500 miles.

After that, it starts to shear down significantly compared to some more robustly formulated alternatives already mentioned. There are now too many UOAs to conlude otherwise. It at least looks like it's VII related. Many of the long OCI runs with it seem to be in huge sump quantities.

For comparable performance, but with genuine OCI stamina, think about Delvac 1. Otherwise, use the 0w-40, but keep the changes shorter.

If I can't double my current OCI's, then there's no reason to switch.

quote:

I don't see where the sheering thing is going to be an issue in my application. Since 30 weight is recommended for my engine, and I haven't seen any data showing the M1 0W-40 sheers to anything less than 30 weight, I don't see a problem using it. . . .

If you don't need a 40 weight, why are you contemplating running 0W-40?

There are better picks if a 30 weight is needed. Like GC.

quote:

Originally posted by Rodbuckler:
If your engine spec's a 5W-30, why are you considering a specialty oil like 0W-40 which is out of grade? There are 5W-30 oils readily available that will go 10K miles and are superior to the M1 0W-4O in all respects if a 30 weight is needed. Thicker is not better.

I'm looking to go 12K, which ones are good for that? I was considering the 0-40 because I was under the impression no 30's would go that long.

quote:

Originally posted by Volvohead:

quote:

I don't see where the sheering thing is going to be an issue in my application. Since 30 weight is recommended for my engine, and I haven't seen any data showing the M1 0W-40 sheers to anything less than 30 weight, I don't see a problem using it. . . .

If you don't need a 40 weight, why are you contemplating running 0W-40?

There are better picks if a 30 weight is needed. Like GC.

GC is better than M1? That's a shocker! Never would've expected that. Is it good for 12K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back