IRS: Woman claims 19 non-existent children

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dwendt44
With people like the Dugger's and the 'Octomom' pumping out kiddies, it's easy to see where that idea comes from.

The Duggers don't pay income taxes either and get plenty of government support (not that they are even mentioning that part).

Curious what government support the Duggers get. They may get tax exemptions like every other family does for their kids. But I don't think they get assistance, and if I recall correctly, they home school, so they are not even using the government education support.

So I'd really like to get some details on the support you claim they are getting.

Originally Posted By: glum
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Wait, you mean poor people aren't honest? We learned they can't possibly be selfish, they think better, are more generous....oh wait she must be rich.....

I knew who posted this as soon as I read it, without having to look over to verify. We get it; monarchies are good, corporations = people, the wealthy are that way because they truly are superior, equality is a despicable lefty gambit, yada yada.

Wow, monarchies? Good? Really. Please.

I think the Duggers get their income from rental properties, book deals, TV appearance, endorsement, etc, instead of taking welfare from the government. It usually cost more to bring up a kid than the tax deduction allowed, and with the types of income they make (rental on schedule E, etc) they are unlikely going to hide their income in a swiss bank.

While I disagree with having that many kids, they seems to be holding up fine, so more power to them. But I don't know if having your oldest 10 kids raising the youngest 9 is considered child abuse or not, and home schooling all of them at home with one constantly pregnant woman seems to rob these children of any chance of a real college education in the future. Oh well, their kids, their responsibilities.

Quote:
I think the Duggers get their income from rental properties, book deals, TV appearance, endorsement, etc

Perhaps that's the case today. But Mr. Dugger has a job, and that was the main, if not only, income for most of that groups existence.
If they had some inheritance or other windfall that allowed them to obtain property to rent out, fine and dandy. I suspect that there's more than meets the eye here.
While home schooling is fine for some, it's also a means of programing the youngsters for some sects; occasionally dangerous ones. And let's not forget the health concerns of such numerous births on any woman.

Quote:
I think the Duggers get their income from rental properties, book deals, TV appearance, endorsement, etc

Perhaps that's the case today. But Mr. Dugger has a job, and that was the main, if not only, income for most of that groups existence.
If they had some inheritance or other windfall that allowed them to obtain property to rent out, fine and dandy. I suspect that there's more than meets the eye here.
While home schooling is fine for some, it's also a means of programing the youngsters for some sects; occasionally dangerous ones. And let's not forget the health concerns of such numerous births on any woman.

What, EXACTLY, are you trying to control here?

Since the Duggers don't pay income taxes, they would also qualify for food stamps and Medicaid to name just two.

Even if they do qualify, and I'm not sure they do, do you have evidence they actually get food stamps or Medicaid? Qualifying for assistance and applying for it and using it are two different things.

You seem to be making some assumptions here...

Last edited:
Quote:

Why would home schooling preclude a college education? Home schooled kids can take the ACT or SAT just like any other kids.

I think the winners of the national spelling bees the past few years have been home schooled kids. So in some cases, the kids are getting a BETTER education than if they were in a public school.

Apparently, 6 of them are doing college, home school style:

http://www.examiner.com/19-kids-and-coun...college-studies

So much for not getting a college education...

If I recall, they actually built their home themselves. Only contracting out things they were not able to do. If you buy the land, provide most of the labor and buy the materials without the builder's markup, you can probably build a home like theirs in Arkansas for what a moderate home costs almost anywhere else.

If they saved and paid cash for everything, no mortgage. I do think the Duggars are debt free too.

So what is your beef with the Duggars? I think we need more like them, not looking to others to help them along, raising well behaved kids who can take care of themselves and are not selfish brats.

Mrs Duggar is an adult and can decide if she wants more kids or not. I think your concern for her rings hollow.

Re-read the comment. Nowhere did I say or suggest that home schooling keeps one from college.

I just pointed out that home schooling, especially under certain circumstances, can cause problems down the road.
You'll notice that most sects/cults home school so that their youths are 'polluted' with science, and other subjects that might allow those kids to think for themselves.

The Duggers don't elaborate about their total financial situation, whether or not they receive subsidies, etc....

If they don't have anything to hide......

No beef with them, they can live however they want as long as they wouldn't regret their decision later.

Last edited:
Re-read the comment. Nowhere did I say or suggest that home schooling keeps one from college.

You are right, it was someone else who suggested that home schooling would ruin their chance for college, or something to that effect.

We all choose what wisdom and knowledge we want our children to have. So in a sense, everyone as you put it, "pollutes" their children with our own values. Be those values science, religion, no religion, no science, taking care of yourself, relying on government largess. We can't help but pollute our children with our values.

It's not just the Duggars that control what their children learn, we all make choices. Even if that choice is to let others decide, it's still a choice made by the parents.

They, and others simply choose to take a more hands on approach. They choose to be responsible for what and when their children are exposed to certain topics and subjects.

The Duggers don't elaborate about their total financial situation, whether or not they receive subsidies, etc....

If they don't have anything to hide......

So what you are saying is you don't know, so you are trying to put up a smokescreen here, suggesting they are hiding something.

If you don't know, just say you don't know. But your innuendo, suggesting they have something to hide is ludicrous.

If you have knowledge, then share it. If not, then stop with the stealth character assassination.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
You are right, it was someone else who suggested that home schooling would ruin their chance for college, or something to that effect.

We all choose what wisdom and knowledge we want our children to have. So in a sense, everyone as you put it, "pollutes" their children with our own values. Be those values science, religion, no religion, no science, taking care of yourself, relying on government largess. We can't help but pollute our children with our values.

Ok, it was me who said it would ruin their chance for college, and I still believe in that (as well as they can do whatever the heck they want).

The program that their 6 children are in, CollegePlus, doesn't seems to be a real college that would hold its own weight in the job market. They are "regionally accredited" school and not ABET accredited, in other word, not up to the typical standard that most standard universities and colleges are for.

Also remember because of their publicity, they get a free / personalized ride on the program as marketing. If they are not famous, they would probably not be able to afford 19 children for a typical college education unless they take on student loans. I haven't seen these children's SAT or equivalent test score, so I'll give them the benefit of doubt, but based on personal experience unless parents put in a lot of time in children's education, they will not get way ahead of the typical children going to a professionally run school system, public or private, and the Duggars would have no chance getting into the extremely competitive good college public or private.

So yes and no, they did go to college but what kind of college education are they getting?

There are colleges that cater to the religious home schooling; not accredited by any well known or respected agencies. I'm surprised that they can get government backed student loans for such a path.

Most 'home schooled' successes seem to be of a more general nature and not so steeped into a marginal philosophy.

With employers looking closer at academic records, some 'home schooled' types might find themselves un-employable.

Quote:
So what you are saying is you don't know, so you are trying to put up a smokescreen here, suggesting they are hiding something.

I'm going by the odds and the eligibility for those types of government aid. Since the Duggers keep much of their personal information secret, who knows what they get for aid form the state or the federal government.

I'm saying flat out that they are taking every advantage they can. We just aren't informed of all that they are 'using'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back