Iron Duke Cartridge Filter

The good old iron duke. I worked at a Chev-Olds dealership from 82 thru 87. Changed oil on many of them. The early ones with a spin on filter drained oil on a bracket if you weren't careful. Customer would go home and see oil on the garage floor if you didn't clean that bracket after changing filters. The first year of the cartridge filter (actually in the oil pan) didn't have a seperate drain plug so the four quarts came out fast LOL.

Every 2.5 needed a new valve cover gasket-GM used RTV that leaked-Right Stuff RTV wasn't out yet. Pre-serp belts models ate alternator belts. The top span was so long that belt just ate itself apart due the up and down motion. Gates always made it the longest. Great engine-ran forever but had no power and was noisy. Late models ones with balance shifts in the oil pan were a little quieter We sold hundreds of those A-body cars-great grandma/grandpa cars.

My dad had a 1982 Pontiac 6000 (A body also) with the 4.3 diesel. Slower than slow but got 40mpg on the highway.

Dave

Don't the Grumman mail trucks still run this motor? That bargain filter costs the same as one "Forever" stamp!

Originally Posted by eljefino
Don't the Grumman mail trucks still run this motor? That bargain filter costs the same as one "Forever" stamp!

I wonder where they get filters for them at, they just running on old stock or if they have a vendor still making them, they'll be decommissioned at 30 years so that means there's still 1990-1993 Grumman's with the duke that are in service. .For like $50 I could get a whole lifetime supply of those filters. If I buy the thing I'd probably just buy one of every filter they've got that's around a buck or less and compare them all, then maybe buy a few of whichever one I like best.

Get it due to the sole fact that I want a free magnet from RockAuto saying BlueFeb95's Olds Built with RockAuto Parts"
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by blufeb95

I wonder where they get filters for them at, they just running on old stock or if they have a vendor still making them, they'll be decommissioned at 30 years so that means there's still 1990-1993 Grumman's with the duke that are in service. .For like $50 I could get a whole lifetime supply of those filters. If I buy the thing I'd probably just buy one of every filter they've got that's around a buck or less and compare them all, then maybe buy a few of whichever one I like best.

Remember that the LLV's are S-10 based.. looking through Wix's catalog it looks like the rear drive versions of the Duke got a regular spin on( Wix 51040, Fram **3387a,etc), same as the 89 Celebrity(2.8L V6) we had when i was a kid, and Grandpa's-then my 87 Olds 98 (3.8l V6), and our 93 Corsica that Replaced the Celebrity...

Originally Posted by earlyre
Originally Posted by blufeb95

Remember that the LLV's are S-10 based.. looking through Wix's catalog it looks like the rear drive versions of the Duke got a regular spin on( Wix 51040, Fram **3387a,etc), same as the 89 Celebrity(2.8L V6) we had when i was a kid, and Grandpa's-then my 87 Olds 98 (3.8l V6), and our 93 Corsica that Replaced the Celebrity...

Well that settles that, I haven't seen a Celebrity or the like in a long time, my Grampa got rid of his 89 with the duke about 10 years ago now it was pretty rusty and he was pretty good about taking care of his stuff, I'd imagine almost all of them have went to the junkyard long ago, wonder when they stopped producing the filter cartridges for them.

Originally Posted by bmod305
The good old iron duke. I worked at a Chev-Olds dealership from 82 thru 87. Changed oil on many of them...

Every 2.5 needed a new valve cover gasket-GM used RTV that leaked-Right Stuff RTV wasn't out yet....

Dave

This Fel Pro gasket works like a champ for the valve cover leaking. Also the "Duke" engine took 3 qts. of oil and the 3.3 6 cyl. called for 4 qts, many mechanics did not know that and would over-fill the engines.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=261153&jsn=7

Had a 1988 Old Calais 2dr with the 2.5 Iron Duke engine and 5sp manual. Loved that car Would not win any races but it just was fun little commuter car and the manual trans just made it seem better than it really was.

Typical 80's GM quality. Had shorted fuel sending wire the first time I filled it up with gas and wind up being a pinched wire when they put the rear seat in. Coil pack went at 30K miles but other than that, ran it out to 189K before selling it. The in oil pan filter was weird but nothing insurmountable or I found a hindrance in doing the oil changes.

Back