Iridium vs. Platinum 06 Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does this topic keep coming up? Their is no horsepower to be gained by using a different kind of plug, just horsepower from a misfiring wrong kind of plug. Use OEM replacement, whatever it is, the manufacturer used it for a reason.

Originally Posted By: Maritime Storm
Use OEM replacement, whatever it is, the manufacturer used it for a reason.

Yeah, because they were the lowest bidder.

Did you hit the nail on the head... There are so many that post that yes I feel more power with this or that plug then before.... Bull....The only way is if you had a bad plug or two already. A plug either fires or not. Not rocket science to it....A two dollar copper core plug will do just as good as the most expensive iriduim....The difference is that the copper core plug will need to be changed around 35 to 45 thou and the iridium will last for 80 to 100 thou....The bottom line is like I said in another post if your plugs are easy to change the cheaper copper core plugs will be fine but if you have a engine that is hard to get to all of the plugs go with long life such as irudium.....It is like installing a K&N air filter in your car and then drive it and say yup I can feel the difference in power....Bull....

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
Did you hit the nail on the head... There are so many that post that yes I feel more power with this or that plug then before.... Bull....The only way is if you had a bad plug or two already. A plug either fires or not. Not rocket science to it....A two dollar copper core plug will do just as good as the most expensive iriduim....The difference is that the copper core plug will need to be changed around 35 to 45 thou and the iridium will last for 80 to 100 thou....The bottom line is like I said in another post if your plugs are easy to change the cheaper copper core plugs will be fine but if you have a engine that is hard to get to all of the plugs go with long life such as irudium.....It is like installing a K&N air filter in your car and then drive it and say yup I can feel the difference in power....Bull....

And there's something to be said for periodically removing the spark plugs....especially for those folks that don't use anti-seize on them. Trying to remove a seized plug that's been in service for 100,000 miles has the possibility of ruining your day.

Originally Posted By: Footpounds
Originally Posted By: rszappa1
Did you hit the nail on the head... There are so many that post that yes I feel more power with this or that plug then before.... Bull....The only way is if you had a bad plug or two already. A plug either fires or not. Not rocket science to it....A two dollar copper core plug will do just as good as the most expensive iriduim....The difference is that the copper core plug will need to be changed around 35 to 45 thou and the iridium will last for 80 to 100 thou

And there's something to be said for periodically removing the spark plugs....especially for those folks that don't use anti-seize on them. Trying to remove a seized plug that's been in service for 100,000 miles has the possibility of ruining your day.

Great no nonsense post with all the needed facts.

The comment about long life plugs and the chance of seizure is the most important one.

I agree totally if you have easy access to your plugs use a quality brand name copper plug and change them every 30k or so.

If your car has a rotor and cap I would recommend that you change them at the same time you change the plugs. Rotors and caps are often over looked as critical components in your ignition system that need attention as much or more so than the plugs.

If not make sure you apply a quality anti-seize or even synthetic oil to the threads you don't need a lot just a dab. But it could save you lots of cash in the end.

Last edited:
Don't use anti-seize. It isn't recommended.

Spark plugs seizing seems to be common with certain vehicles, but it isn't an issue with every single make/model. Lots of Hondas go 105k or more before their spark plug replacement and reports of seized plugs are extremely rare.

I use engine oil and coat the threads of the plug. I also use Iridiums, for my prelude however which came with platinums factory the iridiums from ngk and the factory spec is 0.44 where denso's iridium replacement for my car is at 0.35. I have tried both with denso in the car right now and no noticeable difference.

The rdx comes factory with denso long life iridiums....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back