Iridium sparkplugs @ 100k mi., pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ The youtube I watched by awesomesocks444, he didn't remove the plenum, but it looks like pita doing it that way. I most likely would not have attempted the Camry.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
How difficult was it to access the rear spark plugs?
smile.gif

My son and I changed the plugs on his '12 Accord but it has the 3.5L engine, not the 3.0L. With a flex-head ratchet, the right length extension(s), and spark plug socket, it was no problem.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Those could be the nicest looking plugs I've seen in a long time for 100K miles in service.

You don't get around the Internet much then. I have seen (OEM) plugs that look just as good coming out of a 5.3 Silverado after 100Kmiles. As a matter of fact-there are numerous posts that show plugs that look this good on several different forums across many different vehicle manufacturers. This is a testament of the metals used in the plugs verses anything else.

Last edited:
Agreed, the 105K mile Denso's out of my Corolla and both sets of NGK's out of my Pilot looked good, and looked tan (lightly baked) liked the OP's plugs.

After metallurgy, credit tight mixture control of modern engines.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
How difficult was it to access the rear spark plugs?
smile.gif

Not hard, there's space in all the right places to get tools in and out. As long as you have the right length extensions its a cake job.

...As long as you have the right length extensions its a cake job....
I imagine ones definition of cake job a matter of interpretation and degree. For me, I'd think the four cylinder to be a "cake job". The topic engine while a very doable diy, does require a tad more time and effort on rearward bank. I found having two 3" extensions on hand helpful. There is adequate space to access the plugs though. Having done it once now, obviously the next time would be easier.

Otoh, looking at the previously mentioned Camry V6, 'relatively speaking' the Honda a "cake job".

I agree, those plugs do look very nice... and amazing that the gap is still in spec after 100k miles. Long life plugs provide long life!
laugh.gif

And often it seems the 100k mile service interval is simply to reduce the chance that the plugs will seize in the cylinder head. So perhaps a time factor is in order here: 10 years or 100k miles, whichever occurs first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back