IR vs. Snap-On Cordless Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh, the snap-on one. Far superior. That is, if you have the money for it.

I went for the Makita as the price was much more reasonable and it has served me well. However, both are overkill for suspension work. Yet, with rusted parts, overkill is needed.

As much as I love my Snap On hand tools, I have to say that their cordless stuff always seems like it's a step behind.
I'd go with the IR or Dewalt.
I have a 3/4 drive Makita 120 V impact gun that has yet to disappoint.

Like I said, I was too cheap to by the snap on impact. I bought the Makita 3/8" and I love it. Small, very versatile, then I bought the 1/2" and it is more than enough for me. Takes the same battery as the 1/2" and with all that I bought, extra batteries and a drill it was about the same price as the snap on.

Here is a video that may interest you.

IR vs Snap on compare

Snap ons "Mother of all cordless impacts" is a BAD [censored] nut removing menace.

I LOVE MINE.

The dewalt DW059K-2 Is a formidable unit for the price. I picked mine up on E-bay for under 90 bucks as I already had PLENTY Of 18V dewalt battery's. I use this wrench for structural steel erection and it takes a BEATING! Dropped from heights several times and it hangs on my belt and bangs around on iron constantly.

My only problem with BOTH units is remembering to charge the [censored] batteries.

I would say for your intended use go with the dewalt.

The snap-on is a good tool, but how good in practical terms for the backyard mechanic? Last I checked, I don't hard-connect one to another and let them fight to the death for which one will break first.

I posted the same question a year or so ago. The recommendation varied, but many cited the snap-on video of it "smoking" its IR competition. This only tells me one thing - that IR IS its biggest competitor, and thus likely one of the best.

I shopped the snap-on and the top of the like 1/2" drive IR cordless (360W, I think). I ended up with more batteries, a flashlight, charger, bag and the wrench for a fair amount less than I could get the snap-on for.

Score one for the IR - cheaper.

The Snap-on does not use a Li-ion battery. I prefer them, since as a backyard mechanic, I neither keep my batteries constantly charging, or constantly cycling due to use. Li-ion batteries, like on the IR, have far lower self discharge, and last a lot longer for backyard use as a result. The practical benefit? Ive done at least 20 sets of lugnuts on my vehicles, over the last year, on THE SAME, INITIAL CHARGE. Try doing that with NiMh or NiCd. What this equates to is fewer battery cycles, a tool that is always ready to go without having to think about keeping it charged, etc.

Score two for the IR - Li-ion battery

IR has a family of Li-batteries which all use the smart charger and can be swapped around. For example, I can use their big battery on their LED flashlight for a brighter beam and longer life, or i can use their smaller battery to run it if I have one available. I can use the smaller battery also to run an electric ratchet. It seemed to me (prove me wrong, but I didnt gain a compelling grasp that I was off) that IR has more parts that can be used with the battery/charger system/family than snap-on did.

Score three for IR - somewhat wider application of the battery system.

For me? The choice was IR. And it has been great. Far more power and ability to remove stuck lugs and bolts than my 12A milwaukee plug-in. Light and convenient with a great battery.

The only one that would be on my list at this point besides the IR is a DeWalt, IF and only IF it could be had with a Nano Li-ion battery. The iron phosphate chemistry used in those batteries is very attractive to me, and I'd be keen on using that, especially since the dewalt cordless system has a lot of good stuff...

So Id say the IR or go with dewalt for long-term tool choices with everything youll need around the house.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The snap-on is a good tool, but how good in practical terms for the backyard mechanic? Last I checked, I don't hard-connect one to another and let them fight to the death for which one will break first.

I posted the same question a year or so ago. The recommendation varied, but many cited the snap-on video of it "smoking" its IR competition. This only tells me one thing - that IR IS its biggest competitor, and thus likely one of the best.

I shopped the snap-on and the top of the like 1/2" drive IR cordless (360W, I think). I ended up with more batteries, a flashlight, charger, bag and the wrench for a fair amount less than I could get the snap-on for.

Score one for the IR - cheaper.

The Snap-on does not use a Li-ion battery. I prefer them, since as a backyard mechanic, I neither keep my batteries constantly charging, or constantly cycling due to use. Li-ion batteries, like on the IR, have far lower self discharge, and last a lot longer for backyard use as a result. The practical benefit? Ive done at least 20 sets of lugnuts on my vehicles, over the last year, on THE SAME, INITIAL CHARGE. Try doing that with NiMh or NiCd. What this equates to is fewer battery cycles, a tool that is always ready to go without having to think about keeping it charged, etc.

Score two for the IR - Li-ion battery

IR has a family of Li-batteries which all use the smart charger and can be swapped around. For example, I can use their big battery on their LED flashlight for a brighter beam and longer life, or i can use their smaller battery to run it if I have one available. I can use the smaller battery also to run an electric ratchet. It seemed to me (prove me wrong, but I didnt gain a compelling grasp that I was off) that IR has more parts that can be used with the battery/charger system/family than snap-on did.

Score three for IR - somewhat wider application of the battery system.

For me? The choice was IR. And it has been great. Far more power and ability to remove stuck lugs and bolts than my 12A milwaukee plug-in. Light and convenient with a great battery.

The only one that would be on my list at this point besides the IR is a DeWalt, IF and only IF it could be had with a Nano Li-ion battery. The iron phosphate chemistry used in those batteries is very attractive to me, and I'd be keen on using that, especially since the dewalt cordless system has a lot of good stuff...

So Id say the IR or go with dewalt for long-term tool choices with everything youll need around the house.

Thanks!

Well? Any purchases?

Not yet. The Microsoft cashback is coming back next month, so I am going to wait until then to make a purchase.

In the meantime, I have been looking at the new Milwaukee M18 cordless impact, model #2663-22. It has 450ft-lbs of torque, two Li-Ion batteries and a 5-year warranty.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200389725_200389725

What do you think?

Im sure it's not bad... I like my milwaukee impact, but the IR feels and operates stronger.

Id look into what else the M18 batteries can be used for. I'd want to have maximum versatility, which is why Id still vouch for the dewaly nano li-ion system. I think Milwaukee has a lot of options too, but Im not sure if it is in this size or the smaller batteries...

Im sure it's not bad... I like my milwaukee impact, but the IR feels and operates stronger.

Id look into what else the M18 batteries can be used for. I'd want to have maximum versatility, which is why Id still vouch for the dewaly nano li-ion system. I think Milwaukee has a lot of options too, but Im not sure if it is in this size or the smaller batteries...

How could the IR be stronger? The IR has 360 ft-lbs of torque while the Milwaukee has 450 ft-lbs. Do you have a Milwaukee M18 cordless impact?

no, above I cited my milwaukee plug-in, which is what I meant... the IR has a better feel, handles better, and makes more torque. Mine is the 9072-22, which is rated at 300-315 ft-lbs, depending upon the source... Compared to my IR, Id say that milwaukee is overrating their parts by about 100 ft-lbs at minimum!

I don't necessarily buy any torque values presented. Are they all measured the same way to a specific spec.

Irrespective of the brand you buy, a cordless impact wrench is definitely worth buying. I was impressed by how well my Bosch cordless(which you can get for less than $300) performs, compared to a corded one I have. Unlike drills, where a corded one is always stronger than a cordless one, the new generation of cordless impact wrenches perform better than the corded ones.

Impact wrenches are especially useful when you are working by yourself and you cannot hold the other half of the fastener setup you are working on.

THe IR and it is pretty handy when taking wheels off outside.I do not trust anything made by Bosch and I have heard about nothing but problems with Bosch power tools.Tim and tom whom are brothers and are also a couple of my father's friends will never buy any Bosch power tools anymore.They recieved a cordless drill from thier brother in law and the batteries failed.It was cheaper to buy a new cordless drill.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
Tim and tom whom are brothers and are also a couple of my father's friends will never buy any Bosch power tools anymore.They recieved a cordless drill from thier brother in law and the batteries failed.It was cheaper to buy a new cordless drill.

There's your authoritative answer, Critic. That's a tough bunch up there in Muskegon, Michigan and I wouldn't hesitate to listen to them.
crackmeup2.gif

TimandTomjacketHiRes.jpg

Last edited:
Wrong picture you doitmyself and their brother in law used to work at Bosch.The drills went bye bye,in the dumpster and are now gone.Bosch is a no good company that loves screwing up anything they buy out.They did it to Vetronix,an automotive scan tool company and the Rep I know whom is now retired was screwed by them.They cut his pay and commission which he was forced into rerirement.

FWIW, I have an IR IQv 1/2" drill and 3/8" impact wrench. Both of them get used heavily every working day. I have been through a few brands of battery powered impact and drills, these are the best, by far.

I buy nothing but IR tools now because I know that I am going to have a good, long lasting tool that won't leave me stranded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back