iPod versus Bicyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

I do, however, yell at the idiotic driver's who have no clue how to drive around cyclists.

And thats an approprate time to use a horn.

quote:

hence the topic seeking ideas.

And I gave him several ideas...which included calling his local cycling organizations...but it seems all he wants is someone to laugh and agree with him that using a horn is both safe and fun.

But since hes looking for ideas and Im trying to help...Mori, go ahead and give the number to your local Parks and Rec....go ahead and give me the number to the cycling club that helps maintain this path, I'll tell them your having a hard time with the walkers and see if they might be able to assist you.

But 10mph??? How can this be fun? And BTW, its obviously got a speed limit because of the walkers...you obviously must yeild to them just like you are on a trail.

quote:

Where do you get the idea I was "seeking ideas"? If you care to go back to the beginning of the thread, I wanted to know "How do you handle this sort of issue?" That's not the same as asking for ideas, suggestions, advice, etc. I also stated in the thread that I had found a solution that worked for me.

Okay then, "this is how you handle this sort of issue"...like a responsible adult...who cares about his riding spot.

BTW, the offer still stands, I'll still be more than glad to help you contact the above mentioned and tell them of your problems with those "walkers"...Im sure they will be happy to help.

banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif

The pedestrians with the headphones are idiots, plain and simple. When i rollerblade or ride my bike on a path i wear a single earphone, so that my ear facing the rest of the path can hear people saying things like 'on your left'. I tried two earphones once, i couldn't stand it. I had no idea what was going on around me. I'd do the same as you are Moribundman.

quote:

Originally posted by ShortBuSX:
I just dont believe that you will find a cycling enthusisat that agrees that you should ever honk at "walkers" whatever the situation...

You're reading the post of one of them right now.

Im often on both ends. My fiancee and I bicycle and run in Fairmont Park, in Philadelphia, on the same trail for both.

I shall postulate a few things:
-when exercising outside, the necessity of an ipod or whatnot to pass the 'boringness' is negated... thats why you're outside and not in somne gym facility
-when you are with friends/significant others, thus the need to go two by two, you have each other's company, plus the lack of monotony per my first line, thus doubly less need for ipods or whatnot.
-when you don't have your ipod/cd player/portable radio on, you can hear normal voiced comments from bicyclists behind you, let alone normally hear them coming from behind.

So, what do those three add to? The fact that people on foot just plain don't care and are rude, and thus a safety issue.

The rules of the park permit bicyclists. Bicyclists are typically charged to follow the rules of the road, and then, by extension, pedestrians should be charged to follow their end - stay to the far, far side of the road when moving, and keep in mind that you have the right of way, but it doesnt mean that you won't be killed if using it excessively.

When my fiancee are running, we run side by side. We dont need to wear ipods or whatnot, and when we go, and we hear someone approaching, or tey yell out, we adjust immediately to single-file. problem solved, in fact, no problem.

When we are bicycling, we are aware of pedestrians, and when we are within ten yards, always shout 'on your left' as a matter of awareness, even if they have looked behind and are aware that we are there.

However, there are always the cases where fat broads are chugging along, careless, and dont move, or require three shouts and then get spooked and jump six inches in the air before moving over. What gives? It really isnt 80% of the people on the path... most have the common sense and ability to handle going out and along, even in groups, without issue. It is that last 20% of people who dont care and think they are entitled to do what they please, and that everyone should look out for them.

These people exist on the park paths, on the roadways, in the shopping malls, and every other location that one can think of, except (hopefully) your own house.

For 80% of the pedestrians that are traveling in a group (if youre not in a group, you can be t the far right regardless, and shouldnt need to be alerted to the presnence of a biker at all), there is no issue. For the other 20%, they really do deserve to be hit, or at least honked at.

People dont like irresponsible drivers going below the speed limit in the left lane on a major highway... it is really an analog to the irresponsible, careless pedestrian taking up too much path with bikes trying to pass.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

Where do you get the idea I was "seeking ideas"? If you care to go back to the beginning of the thread, I wanted to know "How do you handle this sort of issue?" That's not the same as asking for ideas, suggestions, advice, etc. I also stated in the thread that I had found a solution that worked for me.

Oops. Hey, I got the trail type correct atleast!
tongue.gif
I guess I confused "How do you..." with "How would you..." My bad.

while there are posted rules, there must also be give and take. I used to commute 50miles (round trip), ride for fun, live on bike. I know the "dumb pedestrian" frustration. When I walk, "on your left" sounds funny, foreign, from behind. The time it takes to recognize, process, and respond, is often longer than the cyclist's approach time. Same with the bell. We approach so rapidly, a relaxed ped just can't move quickly enough oftentimes. They may be walking for casual pleasure, we may ride for serious recreation even daily transport. Perspectives differ, and give-and-take is important. Manners above all. The guy who gets startled by a serious, frustrated cyclist, cuz he doesn't hear/react, and gets clipped by a handlebar & loud horn, develops a bad taste for US, and may be the guy who pushes me off the road at a a RR crossing in a buick.

Yes, there are rules... but let's just assume the ped won't hear, plan to avoid, and be happy when they do understand. If we do have to confront, then maybe a "PLEASE! Clear the bike lane! said harshly even but with nice words might at least invoke some guilt they remember.

There's a great multi use path on Long Island. It also has singletrack running parallel it's entire length and then some. 75% of the time I'm in the woods where everyone operates under the same rules. On days when I have my son in his trailer (he's 2), and I'm forced to ride the paved trail, my issues are not really with the walkers/joggers, but with the roadies who swear they own the place. No one knows the rules of the road better than me, so I wish the path nazis would stop screaming when my wife isn't hugging the extreme right side of the path.

Off topic I guess, I havent read a word of this post, but funniest site i've seen involing bikes was last summer. A man that looked to be in his 40's and very hairy/overweight, was riding his bike on the street on the wrong side of the road, wearing multicolored spandex (light green for his shirt, pink for his shorts). He had an i-pod around his neck and one hand holding his cell phone to his ear, and the other hand was making the limp wrist pose just sticking out into air. He seemed to be having a good time tho
laugh.gif

It depends on the bike path. Here in Amherst, NY, a very popular bike path is shared by walkers, cyclists, joggers, you name it. It is constantly in use, with roadies whizzing up and down it all the time. When I'm cycling, I yell out 'On your left!' a few seconds before I overtake the slower people. Only problem I have are with the Ipodders, half of which just ignore me, and the other half step off the path. I also move as far left as I can when passing, and wear bright colors so they notice me as soon as their heads snap around. Nothing like a red lid and bright yellow jersey to get attention...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back