iphone owners - come in

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

Our cellphone contract is coming up, and we are considering going from T-Mobile to AT&T. This is for personal reasons, due to rates for places that we need to call.

I came to the realization that this means that I could get an iphone... I dont know if that is good or bad, it just means that I could get one.

It looks like it would be about $15/month for unlimited web, etc., etc. It is attractive because it means better access to all sorts of stuff, email from anywhere, and it would double as an ipod, so one less thing to carry on travel.

Questions though - is it worth it to you? Do you like it? What dont you like?

If I wanted to go onto BITOG, could I post via the iphone? Could I go check web-based email on the iphone? or would I need to use a POP setup to do mail on the iphone?

Is it practical to write much of anything (say a post on BITOG) on an iphone? Is it practical to keep in the pocket of pants or jeans, or is it too succeptible to scratching? I see it is listed as about a half an inch, but with adequate protection, how thick and large does it become?

I have a work blackberry, and love it for use at work and on travel for staying in touch. However, it is quite limited in what else it allows (its an 8830, and for example, GPS is deactivated, I can get into BITOG or most any other site, but I cant login or post to anything, I cant get my personal email on it or any other work IT system).

So Im considering an Iphone 3G... if not, Id get a small nokia brick phone or a motorola razr, which I currently like because of size and form factor.

Your thoughts???

Thanks,

JMH

Do you want to use it to listen to music? If so, I'd avoid it, because Apple iTunes is the only way to transfer music from your PC to your Apple product, without hacking. That wouldn't be so bad if iTunes wasn't so unreliable.

Or, here is someone that makes fun of the iPhone, while using strong language. It is hilarious: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone
It also explains why a certain Nokia is better.

Id use it like an ipod, and havent had any issues with ituned putting music onto it...

Thanks for that head's up, Ill look into it.

JMH

iPhone 3G's data plan starts at $30/mo.

I just purchased an iPod Touch 2G, which is essentially the same thing as an iPhone, minus the voice capabilities.

The phone allows you to do web-based e-mail as well as POP and IMAP type accounts. You can view most web pages from the device, and yes, you can post on BITOG. In fact, the third post in this thread was made from my iPod Touch 2G last night.

The device can be pocketed quite easily. Get the CapsuleRebel case from SwitchEasy. I have their version of that case for my Touch 2G and it barely adds any thickness. The screen protectors (included with the case) are a MUST have item.

$30/mo? thats getting a bit too rich for my blood - just cant justify it.

I saw the AT&T data package in their family plan brocheure that stated that for one phone, unlimited text, web, and a few other things was $15. I see now that it isnt the same as the "PDA" 3G plans required for something like the iphone...

Thanks! That will more or less seal the deal against it... I appreciate the heads-up!

JMH

is it worth it to you?

No doubt, has saved my butt several times being to do everything including mapping, internet, email, and calling on the go. you can bring up a website and just touch any phone number on the website and it will ask you if you want to call.

Do you like it?

Invaluable. Maps, amazing amount of free applications, push email, have tons of music/podcasts/audiobooks on it also. I don't know what the other poster is saying about itunes problems. I have never had one problem with iphone/itunes over the last year and my itunes is loaded with stuff.

What dont you like? ATandT required rate too high

If I wanted to go onto BITOG, could I post via the iphone?

Yes I have

Could I go check web-based email on the iphone? or would I need to use a POP setup to do mail on the iphone?

I use yahoo push mail and it works well and I don't have to check email on my computer anymore because I hear a tone on my phone when it comes in.

Is it practical to write much of anything (say a post on BITOG) on an iphone?

Once you get used to it, it is fast.

Is it practical to keep in the pocket of pants or jeans, or is it too succeptible to scratching?

Too big for jeans I think. Use incase horizontal holster. It is excellent and clips onto your jeans, etc. and phone never falls out. http://goincase.com/products/detail/leather-folio-es89024

I see it is listed as about a half an inch, but with adequate protection, how thick and large does it become?

Not large at all IMO and really unnoticable in the incase holster. Incase Holster: I tried maybe 5 holsters and this one is best by far. You never remember you even have it on.

Your thoughts???

It is worth it no question IMO, even if you use only some of the features and there are hundreds/thousands? of applications now. Many of these apps use GPS.

thanks!

The internet on my blackberry, including the non-GPS en abled maps, google maps, google in general, etc. has saved me a bunch of times. Thing is, I still have to wonder if id get $30/month use out of it... and be really happy with it if it is too big to fit in my pocket when going out, etc.

Have to go see and feel one, I guess...

Thanks again!

JMH

There are no discounts for iPhones with AT&T. My job offers 10% discount for AT&T plans, but iPhones are excluded. In fact, I thought there was some extra $10 charge on iPhones from AT&T.

My fiance and i both have iphones. I have 16gb white and she has an 8gb black iphone. If you like your phone pda mp3 player and psp rolled into one than get the iphone. The call quality is very good, music is great, you can get many apps to organize your life. Battery life is great even with heavy use i get 9 hours of light web surfing, lots of texts and music playing, that's about a whole day of work. I like the fact that apple keeps up with the phone they put out patches and your iphone won't be out of date if a new one comes out you will get new firmware. I jailbroke my phone and it is a lot more fun. If anything just holding and looking at the phone has me hooked.

Yeah, I forgot to add that the on-screen keyboard is excellent and very fast once you get used to it.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
I'd want something that does wireless networking and can run Skype, for cheap calls when I'm in a hotspot.

The current iPod Touch 2G works with skype over wi-fi. You just need a headphone/microphone headset.

I am posting this from my Blackberry 8310.

I have a 2GB microSD card in it that I dump music on. Battery lasts several days with very frequent use. Browser works well. I am running OS 4.5....

Have you looked at the BOLD?

I have a blackberry 8830 for work... generally very happy with it, within the constraints of what i can and cant use it for because of work limitations.

The iphone just caught my eye because of all the marketing, and because a fellow I work with has one... seems pretty neat, but I wanted a more detailed scoop.

Ill still be giving it a look, but as I am hearing of all the additional fees, etc., Im almost positive I won't bite. Sounds to me that the difference between a sandard phone and an iphone will come to nearly $50/month after taxes. That is $600/year that I could have towards my Roth IRA, a few really nice dinners, etc., etc.

Im just too cheap/frugal to justify that much expenditure... I think. One of these days Ill go to the Apple store and check
wink.gif

Thanks,

JMH

My wife got me a first generation Iphone for our anniversary last year. I was not real familiar with it, but didn't like having to sign up with Itunes, and by the time I figured the plan costs and cost of the phone, it was going to be about $2K for the two year service contract, although for me it is a deduction becasue I use my phone only for business. It also seemed to be mostly kidsy flash, with not a lot of business substance.

I took it back (nearly caused a divorce) and bought a Tilt. It did everything my HP Ipaq did so I could drop carrying it, was compatible with all the MS stuff I use at my office and had on my Ipaq, and has an excellent GPS that I find to be as useful and accurate as my Garmin. I bought a map program so there is no additional cost for GPS service. The camera on the Tilt sucks. It has WiFi so you don't have to go through AT&T for internet, although I have unlimited data.

There are tons of 3rd party software for Windows Mobile. The phone part is a bit cumbersome - I need a better keypad program. I have a shell program so it does all the animation, fliping windows, etc., like an Iphone if you like that stuff.

The new Iphone is 3G and a lot cheaper so it may be a better deal, especially if Apple has managed to figure out that cut and paste thingy. Unlimited data at AT&T is $30 / month.

The Tilt is now history or near to it, but I like it a lot and was unimpressed with the Iphone for business.

I've got the 3G iPhone and I love it! It's definitely way easier to surf the net than my old Blackberry, but it is tricky to type things fast with the touch screen compared to the keyboard of the BB. For me, switching to the iPhone was a no brainer, I was previously paying $60 a month for the 25MB plan on the Blackberry, now I've got 3GB a month for $30 with the iPhone.

Well, i got one... Now to find the best case.

need to be super slim, able to go in/out ofmy pocket when I choose to take that route (i.e. silicone may not be the best choice), and protect well for when it is in my bag or pocket.

Any thoughts?

Mike, where did you get the capsule rebel? Online? is it available from a regular brick-and-mortar store like bestbuy? I like the concept of it a lot.

Thanks!

JMH

Congrats on the iPhone. I'm loving my touch more and more, in fact, I'm posting from it right now.

I bought my rebel touch directly from the manufacturer, switcheasy, because it was just released and no one else carried it. The capsule rebel has been out for a while, so you should be able to find it on eBay or from another online vendor.

The case does increase the thickness of the device, but it's reasonable IMO. With the case, mine still slides in and out of my pocket quite easily. The "rib" portion of the case is smooth while the soft jacket is somewhat grippy, so it's a good compromise.

Motorola F3 has served us well.

Bought it for $49 5 months ago, and bought a new recharge card only this week.

we considered some of the pay as ou go rechargeable phones, problem is that we actuall use our phones at least once a day. Problem at the same time is that we only use about 90-100 minutes per month besides us talking to one another.

If we had one of those plans, we'd be charged $1/day wen we use the phone... so we'd probably be charged $20+ in nuisance fees for our limited use... plus our usage which is quite expensive per minute... Our determination was it was too much of a hassle to remember and have two pay as you go phones considering our odd use profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back