iPhone Mini 5G speed test

Bought an iPhone Mini yesterday. Not that I need download speeds this fast, but still.
This is standing outside in Columbus, OH.

5G test oudoors at Michelle's house.JPG

Last edited:
that upload is kinda crappy, I get better than that with a $20 moto e6 and LTE ;)

Which 5g is that, I heard verizon's is extremely variable from super fast to slower than LTE right now.

This is almost certainly not really 5G. I will regularly get those speeds on my iPhone X with "5Ge", which is just three 4G download channels bonded and zero 5G infrastructure from the RAN toward the core. At your signal strength and your distance from Chicago, the latency on true 5G would be much less, like around 15ms and the throughput should be much higher. Unfortunately, 5G is technical spec and also a marketing term.

I don't know of any carrier that has their 5G backhaul network completed, much less designed.

Last edited:
i have gotten 200 on tmobile 4 g on my phone regularly especially if i am close to a tower. even higher uploads. i would expect real 5 g to deliver 500 -1 gb speeds

i have seen over 300+ on a lg phoenix phone.. in the ny metro area. not very impressive at least until 2022 i cant see the investment for a 5g phone. 4g lte is not going any where any time soon and 4g will only improve as engineers rework and tweak the networks. hopefully once 2g/3g is phased out there will be less chances for those airwaves to impede 4g

Nice!

If you get into a bigger city (DC, San Francisco, NYC) etc where you'll get the 750 - 1000 stuff apparently. 5G still rolling.

Near my cell tower at local park I get 150 Mbps / 50 up on my iPhone 11 with 4G LTE for comparison.

Back