Investing - Payphones

15 or 20 years ago I received promotional material for a new kind of investment - your very own payphone. The idea was that you would purchase an existing installed payphone, keep a share of the revenue, but also pay for maintenance/repairs. I've often wondered how it worked out.

Did anyone buy one? Did it work out?

15 or 20 years ago I received promotional material for a new kind of investment - your very own payphone. The idea was that you would purchase an existing installed payphone, keep a share of the revenue, but also pay for maintenance/repairs. I've often wondered how it worked out.

In 1967, I converted a storefront in San Francisco's Mission District into a photo studio and darkroom. I did this with a couple of other photographers. We decided to install a payphone. Maybe not quite the same situation as you've described, but we were to split the proceeds with the phone company. In the four years we had the studio, and the two years I had the place to myself, no one from the phone company ever came to collect money or provide an accounting. Maybe they knew we didn't use the phone much ...

I can't imagine this would have made anyone any significant money.

I think the last time I saw a pay phone was in college, and I graduated 8 years ago...

Maybe 20yrs ago they'd make some money.

The little mom and pop gas station, deli, minimart down the road from me still has a payphone off to one side of the lot. I've lived near it since 2004 and have never seen anyone use this phone. Not sure if it even works.

I would say 15-20 years ago was still at least 10 years late to the party. Kind of like VCRs or cassette tapes in the late 90s (when DVDs were already out). Someone doing their due diligence had to have seen the writing on the wall, as cell phones were already quite popular.

When the Bell co's saw the writing on the wall they sold them all off to private businesses. That's when they became 50 cents for 5 minutes jobbies.

I passed by a payphone yesterday. No handset (yanked off). Beat up and lots of graffiti, but cash box still intact.
I'm sure it'll cost someone more to pull it out. Probably just abandoned it.

For those of you speculating on payphones having poor investment potential, I share your thoughts.

Selling their payphones was probably an idea for the telephone companies to get one last puff out of their probably considerable investment. The phone companies could see that cellphones were taking over.

That was one of many questionable investments I've seen or heard about over the years. Another was diamonds - in a bag. A young guy harassed my F-I-L to buy diamonds until he told him - "If they're such a good investment why are you telling me? You should buy them yourself".

In my younger days another (Canadian) "investment" was in MURBS (Multiple Unit Residential Buildings). They were apartment or condo units, largely a tax write off, promoted primarily to doctors and lawyers. One of my patients tried to sell me a MURB. I assessed the investment potential and told him I thought the costs were excessive and the rent projections far ahead of reality. He said that was all true but wouldn't I like the tax write off? One Saturday morning in the Surgeon's Lounge at the local hospital, a group of community doctors were "chewing the fat" when the subject turned to MURBS. A number of older docs gave us "young uns" some advice - "don't invest in MURBS, they're an ongoing cash sink." I understand that it's only recently that many investors managed to get out from under their "invetments" by selling their MURBS at break even or a small profit.

What else has come and gone? There were also hockey cards, and movies.

And what do we have now? I suspect that investing in cryptocurrencies will end in tears for many "investors".

I see a lot of pay phone stations but the phones are gone. Somehow a lot was done without a cell phone.

This sounds like the biggest scam ever. Fifteen to twenty years ago takes us back to 2000, and anyone back then knew that payphones were about to go extinct. The pay phone owners were looking to sell before they were left with a dead technology. Smart, but ill intent.

Sounds like a bunch of pay phone owners came up with a sleazy plan to sell everything to an unsuspecting individual.

Last time I used a pay phone was at the UP State Fair 2012

I viewed cells as a waste of money (and still do)

Got caught in Momentum and have one whether I want it or not.

I viewed cells as a waste of money (and still do)

Got caught in Momentum and have one whether I want it or not.
I'm still resisting. We have a family cell phone but I don't have one.

I would pay $35/month but not $75. The average cellphone plan in Canada is apparently just over $100, one of the highest in the world. Lots of people here must think they're rich, but there's a big difference between being rich (ie assets) and being able to pay the bills (ie cash flow). In Alberta they have a phrase that covers it nicely - "big hat, no cattle".

I could afford $100/month but I'd rather take it in pizza and beer.

Back