Introducing my 2005 Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Patman
The 98 needed a few things fixed that would have made selling it privately very difficult,

Just curious, what did it need?

Congrats, that's one sweet looking machine, 6spd to boot
20.gif

Congrats, I know you will drive it and enjoy it. I recently did the same thing, trading my nice 06 Mustang GT for a 10 I found on a lot with only 5k. I mainly wanted to get back into a manual tranny and it was Grabber blue with white stripes, which I love.

Since the boss hates blue color, she would have never let me buy the beauty you have posted :) Just to stop my drooling, would you slap me by posting the price of the car? Hopefully that will make me forget about your car!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Just curious, what did it need?

The AC didn't work anymore, the digital display for the climate control was also pooched. The passenger side headlight made a grinding noise when going down. The transmission would leak oil for the first 20 seconds on really cold mornings if the car had sat for a few days. The oil pressure sending unit was dead. And one of the speakers was no longer working (aftermarket setup so the wire probably was not hooked up securely enough but I wasn't about to take the door skins apart to look) But it still looked great:

A clean C6 still makes my head turn. What great looking cars.

Congrats! That thing is beautiful.

I'm interested in a follow-up thread comparing it to your '98 after you put some time in it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: harbor
Great color and love the 6 sp manual. Post a pic of the interior when you get a chance. Well done....

Here is one taken by a friend of mine who went to the dealership before me to take some random pics of the car (the car was an hour away and he lived right there so his pics helped me decide if it was worth the trip up there) The leather is a little worn on the edges, but that's pretty normal for the amount of miles with these cars.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Beautiful color. Congrats and enjoy! Thank you for buying a manual trans car too!

Even though I loved my C5 a lot, two major factors which pushed me faster into getting a C6 were the fact that I wanted a nice bright metallic color again (I was super tired of the hard work involved with keeping black looking perfect all the time!) and the second major factor was that after driving a Lamborghini Gallardo last summer (with a manual trans) I got the serious bug to own a manual trans again. Since I've always loved the C6 ever since it came out, it was only a matter of time before I got one, but these two factors helped me to go for it even sooner than I had originally planned. I'm already planning my next Corvette though! I want a C7 badly but the price tag is going to be massive (for me) when it first comes out. But I figure in about 5 or 6 years the used ones will be priced in my range, and then I'll get one.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Since the boss hates blue color, she would have never let me buy the beauty you have posted :) Just to stop my drooling, would you slap me by posting the price of the car? Hopefully that will make me forget about your car!

They were asking just under $28,000 for it, which is actually about on par with similar 05s in the US with similar miles on them (you can find C6s in the US for the low 20s but they typically have over 100k on them) I got a better deal than asking price though and was happy with the price they gave me for mine
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jigen
A clean C6 still makes my head turn. What great looking cars.

Congrats! That thing is beautiful.

I'm interested in a follow-up thread comparing it to your '98 after you put some time in it.
smile.gif

Here is my take after putting about 200 miles on the C6. It is definitely more refined than the C5. When you go over bumps in the C5 you feel as if the suspension is at the bottom of it's travel but in the C6 it's very smooth. It's a bit better in mine because of the electronic suspension too, in touring mode it's very comfortable even on the bumpiest roads (although even in sport mode it's still not as rough as the C5!) The interior looks more modern and has a more expensive feel to it, especially the things like the push button start and the push button to open and close the door mechanism. And having the hatch pull itself down when you drop it is such a cool feature! In the C5 it was hard to close the hatch if the doors were all closed and windows up. I always had to open a door when closing the hatch.

The brakes are better in the C6 but the handling feels like it could be better in the C5, although I don't push my cars too hard in the corners so it could just be my impression since driving the C5 feels more like a raw race car type of a feel while the C6 is more of a cruiser.

When it comes to power, the C6 is definitely a lot quicker! My C5 ran 12.8 at 109.4 in the quarter mile, so it was no slouch, but this C6 is easily down in the very low 12s. I owned a supercharged Mustang GT that ran the quarter mile in 12.16 seconds at 112mph, and this C6 feels that quick off the line and I bet it's trap speed is closer to 116 or 117. I doubt I'll drag race it for a while, the rear ends in the 05s are known to break with hard launches at the drag strip (a friend of mine did just that) and they aren't cheap.

The road noise in the C6 is a lot better, you can actually carry on a conversation! Squeaks and rattles are almost nonexistant, although you can hear a bit of noise from the removable roof. That's the only noise my C6 makes though, no other rattles (my C5 always had a few annoying rattles, especially the glove box)

Gas mileage is a bit better too, even with the bigger more powerful engine, but most of that is due to the 6 speed manual vs the 4 speed automatic (and my C5 had the optional 3.15 axle ratio too, giving it slightly worse MPG) I managed to get 31.1 MPG on my one hour highway trip home from picking up the C6. I did get almost that MPG in my C5 once, but most highway trips were closer to 27 MPG.

Fantastic car! I love the color!

I saw the C7 at the car show and its an impressive ride. I can't wait to actually get some time in one, might be tempted to buy one in a few years.

Oh and I got a video of you blowing the carbon out of it.

Have you properly stretched her legs yet?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Have you properly stretched her legs yet?

Most definitely!
smile.gif
The first day it was too cold out and the roads were wet most of the time. But yesterday and today I've had the chance to make a few full throttle blasts and the car is crazy fast! I will definitely be selective in the areas where I test out it's acceleration though, I haven't had a speeding ticket since 1997 and would like to keep my clean record intact
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
When are you gonna install long tube headers and have it tuned ?

I'm surprised your old car wasn't 6 speed.

I doubt I'm going to modify this one, at least not that heavily. I might do a Vararam on it since that's pretty cheap, but other than that I will leave it alone. I definitely don't want to do tuning again, I like the fact that I can run 89 octane in a pinch if I end up somewhere that doesn't sell premium.

My old car would have been a 6 speed if it weren't for the fact that it was my daily driver and I was driving into downtown Toronto every day (worst rush hour traffic in North America!) Also, my ex wife didn't drive standard and never wanted to learn. But my new wife is definitely excited to learn how to drive a manual.

Congrats on the new car, Patman!

My best friend last summer traded his 2010 Cobalt SS turbo for a 2007 Corvette. His is silver with a black leather interior, 6-speed manual, and the see-through roof.

His has about the same mileage as yours, and he paid a bit under $27k I think. He runs M1 5W-30 in it as well.

He's been nice enough to let me drive it a couple of times, and man those cars are a blast - very fast, but easy to drive! A week ago we also did a day trip to the US with it, and they are very good highway cars as well - I'm impresed with its overall abilities.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

He's been nice enough to let me drive it a couple of times, and man those cars are a blast - very fast, but easy to drive! A week ago we also did a day trip to the US with it, and they are very good highway cars as well - I'm impresed with its overall abilities.

My wife and I like to do a lot of day trips where we just jump in the car and drive aimlessly for a couple of hours, and we are really looking forward to being a lot more comfortable in this new car. And we can carry on a conversation at highway speeds now without having to yell!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back