Interstate MT-47/H5 Battery

If Exide is making Interstate, I'll make sure to stay far away
Shame, as the Interstate price/warranty combo at Costco is strong
Is it a regional thing?

The following quote is in " FORM S-1 REGISTRATION STATEMENT UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OF 1933 for Clarios International Inc.
As filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on July 20, 2021."

" In addition, we partner with our partially owned joint venture Interstate Batteries on manufacturing and distribution throughout North America."

Clarios now makes some models of Interstate …again. It took what I heard several years of complaints from their dealers but they now make the common battery sizes like group 35 and 75 for Interstate.

I know someone who works at the Canby, Oregon Clarios plant who told me it was a big deal when they started making the green boxes again because the Canby plant originally made most of the old Megatron I batteries because Interstate didn’t want to switch to JCI (at the time) newer battery design they had, so they kept paying JCI just to keep that plant open till JCI said no more pretty much…

plant originally made most of the old Megatron I batteries because Interstate didn’t want to switch to JCI (at the time) newer battery design they had, so they kept paying JCI just to keep that plant open till JCI said no more pretty much…

What's the newer design? JCI/Clarios batteries mostly haven't changed (externally, anyway) since at least the mid 90s, and likely not since the 80s.

Exception is the Group 47/78 H5/H6 style batteries, which changed from using two vent strips that each covered 3 cells and a vent port in the middle of the long side of the battery, to the more conventional design of individual vent caps for each cell and a vent port in the end of the battery, this change occurring sometime after 2008.

The Interstate batteries were usually white case with a green cover, but this is just plastic color, the batteries were externally identical to JCI manufactured batteries otherwise.

Understand Interstate is a brand and marketing company. They do not manufacturer batteries. Clarios makes most Interstate batteries but they do also source from other companies like Exide. This is all on the their website.

Does the top of the current battery in your Volvo with the vent caps look like your prior Interstate battery?

Understand Interstate is a brand and marketing company. They do not manufacturer batteries. Clarios makes most Interstate batteries but they do also source from other companies like Exide. This is all on the their website.

Does the top of the current battery in your Volvo with the vent caps look like your prior Interstate battery?
Yes. It looks like the past 3 batteries.

What's the newer design? JCI/Clarios batteries mostly haven't changed (externally, anyway) since at least the mid 90s, and likely not since the 80s.

Exception is the Group 47/78 H5/H6 style batteries, which changed from using two vent strips that each covered 3 cells and a vent port in the middle of the long side of the battery, to the more conventional design of individual vent caps for each cell and a vent port in the end of the battery, this change occurring sometime after 2008.

The Interstate batteries were usually white case with a green cover, but this is just plastic color, the batteries were externally identical to JCI manufactured batteries otherwise.

I've had a series of JCI 48/91/H6 batteries over the course of many years, since it's a common size for Euro applications.

The single center vent style case with the 2x3 siamesed vent caps and basket-style handle dates back to 1990 at least, if not earlier. I've had them in DieHard (before Sears was flown into the ground), Interstate (all black MTP-91) bought directly from the distributor and Bosch/Pep Boys guises. For internally-mounted appliations, it came with a vent adapter tube (usually included in a plastic bag attached to the case).

That was supplanted by the style with the dual end vents, individual caps, and dual fold down handles, though the Costco Interstate version omitted them. It no longer needed any vent adapter, and the protector plate for the postive terminal had a snap off plug to seal the opposite vent hole that wasn't used.

The last, and current style has dual end vents, a small single fold up handle in the center, and a large continuous strip that incorporates the end vents, with no discernable caps, which are hidden underneath. Duralast, SuperStart, Champion, EverStart, and Costco Interstate all now use it, though the last lagged for a bit before switching from the previous style. The terminal protection caps also incorporate a vent plug, and give an uncommonly tidy appearance, though that becomes moot once those caps are removed for installation. The sole Clarios Interstate H6 appears to be a lower-line model (H6-70), while the rest are sourced from others, including what looks like Exide, like the OP's.

A lot of compliants about JCi batteries here but I've never had a bad expereince with any of them in this size; they're tough. On the flip side, a Group 35, in a car whose driver liked to leave the dome lights on, didn't fare so well.

My current H6 is clocked at six years plus. When it goes, it will likely be replaced with another Costco Interstate, whose price, replacement warranty term and no-hassle nature nobody else matches.

Back