Internet Oil Filter Videos Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I want to rant about all the oil filter YouTube videos… There are very few reviews that go beyond the physical construction of the filter and there is so much misinformation it is mind boggling. The typical review goes something like this. I cut open these here filters and this one was made with cardboard so it is obviously trash and will grenade an engine within 5 miles. This one on the other hand looks really purdy and the box says 97% efficiency (with no qualifiers) so it is the best. Almost none of the reviews take into account what a filter is supposed to do and if it does that effectively.

It got me to thinking if someone were to make a filter out of a solid slug of billet aluminum and carefully turned it on a lathe and then polished it to a high shine, welded the end plate on with beautiful welding job because why crimp when you can weld, put unobtanium end caps on the filter cartridge because we all know that unobtanium makes it filter better, it would also need a triple silicon bypass valve and of course a coil spring to hold tension because well why not, and for the filter media the finest most evenly spaced screen door mesh available. The box would have marketing speak like 5 micron efficiency (at 0.02% but this would be omitted) 100% efficient (at 1 inch, also omitted) or maybe something spectacular sounding like “Filters particles 5000 times smaller than the human eye can see” (at 35,000 feet) None of this of course would matter to the YouTuber because it would be the best looking filter anyone had ever seen. It wouldn’t filter worth a darn but who cares about details like that.

But does it have a louvered center tube?
laugh.gif
LoL

Too bad all the filters didn't have the efficiency rating @ 20 microns so they all could be compared in the same manner.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
lol, what do you expect? the average person isn't very bright, at least from my experience.

Someone was comparing filters on YouTube. Saw a combo valve and the video poster thought it was just a ADBV and kept wondering where the bypass valve was.....

The OP has hit on a good point.

This board has knowledgable people and provides good info in response to thoughtfully asked questions.

However, the posting of cut-open used filters, while nifty and cool, can't be worth the effort or time. There's nothing which can be learned aside from physical conditions like pleat spacing, condition of media and seams and visual verification of valving.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Too bad all the filters didn't have the efficiency rating @ 20 microns so they all could be compared in the same manner.

I agree. That could and should be standard info listed plainly on the box. Easy to do, but I know they won't.

Quote:
This board generally has knowledgable people...

Fixed. There is a lot of what the OP is complaing about right here on BITOG, and it's growing.

Just don't click on YouTube videos. Problem solved.

Beyond a visual analysis of the filter, what more do you want? 99.9% of people cutting open filters are looking only for physical defects.

"Well, now that we have this filter cut open let me take this square millimeter section of the media and run it through my handy dandy spectrophotometer here next to my slop sink..."

8)

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
But does it have a louvered center tube?
laugh.gif
LoL

Of course it wouldn't because internet experts using strictly subjective reasoning and who have done no testing whatsoever say it restricts flow. The internet never lies you know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back