Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a very unscientific test that has shown up on the bottom side of my truck. At an oil change I drained my M1 mix (5w-30 and 0w-40) and took a paint bush and applied the used oil to the frame of my truck and a few rust areas that I was concerned with. The oil had a tendency to bead a little on very dry metal and rust. Hmmm I thought maybe I'll take a clean peice of steel and visually inspect the adhesion with clean oil. So with some scrap steel at my father garage, I poured a little M1 (left over 5w-30) and some corrisponding CarQuest 5w-30. Both puddled. The dino had a tendency to smear better when smeared with my super accurrate, lab certified thumb. The M1 smeared and then sort of broke the film as if the surface tension of the oil exceeded the adhesion strength to the steel.

Maybe M1 has such good results in bearings because its shear strength is stronger than other oils. Yet in cylinder walls the oil is more prone to adhere to itself than the iron, causing dry spots.

This of course is only the results found by Crashz Labs!
grin.gif

You might be thinking of the 9ppm of iron in one VOA of GC 0W-30. The Silicon is different, however, in that it is intentionally put in as an anti-foaming agent.

quote:

Originally posted by Tones:
You might be thinking of the 9ppm of iron in one VOA of GC 0W-30. The Silicon is different, however, in that it is intentionally put in as an anti-foaming agent.

Here's the VOA I was remembering...Mobil 1 15w-50...

Fe...1
Pb...3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back