Interesting Wasp Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Interesting wasp hive ... I would not want to be swarmed by those bad boys!

crazy2.gif

You couldnt' pay me enough to do that job!

OTOH, my grandfather used to keep bees. He'd have hives and when servicing them would only wear face protection.
Not once was he ever stung.

Those things really hurt when they sting you. I got stung in the chest when I was a kid. At the time I thought it would be fun to squirt their nest with a water hose nozzle. The things are so smart that they flew around the water stream and then flew down in through the top of my shirt collar. They stung me 5 or 6 times in the chest. It's a very hot acid burn sensation to those of you who have never been stung by one. And it's far more painful than a bee sting.

Wait until dark then put gasoline into a pump sprayer and spray it into the hive and the bees will be dead the next day. No drama.

Originally Posted by CT8
Wait until dark then put gasoline into a pump sprayer and spray it into the hive and the bees will be dead the next day. No drama.

That goes against my belief that killing living creatures needs to be quick and painless. I kill a lot of black window spiders every year and they die so quick that I don't think they ever know what hits them. Hopefully by doing that, I can build up some good Karma and die a quick and painless death someday.
55.gif

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Those things really hurt when they sting you. I got stung in the chest when I was a kid. At the time I thought it would be fun to squirt their nest with a water hose nozzle. The things are so smart that they flew around the water stream and then flew down in through the top of my shirt collar. They stung me 5 or 6 times in the chest. It's a very hot acid burn sensation to those of you who have never been stung by one. And it's far more painful than a bee sting.

Never been stung by a wasp before. Once I was walking and a wasp (likely the prairie yellowjacket that's common around here) landed on my arm. Not sure why it landed on my arm, but I stood perfectly still because I heard their stings/bites hurt really bad.

Also - I remember my mom used to keep potted strawberry plants on a rear deck. Well they like to build underground nests, and apparently liked one of these pots. So what I did was take a squirt bottle and squirted quickly and ducked behind a screen door. Eventually it must have been flooded because they were started to come out in large numbers and didn't come back. I was kind of freaked out that I'd get stung/bitten.

I was stung by a hornet many years ago. It was not pleasant for me or the hornet. He flew out of a hole in the ground when I was cutting the lawn and got me on my left side. I made sure everyone of them in the hole died, and I killed the one that stung me by clapping him between my hands. I got lucky. lol My wife strongly suggested I go to urgent care to make sure I didn't have a reaction to it, but I ended up convincing her a dose of Benadryl would be enough. Boy do they hurt.

I waited patiently until nighttime, sprayed carb cleaner in the hole followed by a lit match and then I plugged it up for good measure. I never saw them again.

Wasps can be a gardener' s friend. They help get rid of the harmful insects. If you have enough land there are ways to attract wasps at a spot near your garden, but away from the house.

I have been stung by wasps a few times and the sting itself hurts like [censored], I get a bit of swelling around the sting, and then after 15-20 minutes it's all gone...getting a mosquito or blackfly bite is a bigger deal for me than a wasp sting.
I guess my daughter inherited that trait from me, when she was little she loved to go get the mail by herself and I would let her do it as our street is pretty quiet. She was doing this one Saturday and started screaming bloody murder, I was working in the woods and it probably took me 15 seconds to run over to her. I was horrified to see she was being swarmed by yellowjackets, they had built a nest in the gap underneath the mailbox...I picked her up and ran back to the house, ready to call 911 and/or take her to the hospital immediately. She stopped crying pretty quickly and only had minor bumps where she had been stung...in less than half an hour, she was outside playing again with no ill effects or swelling.
We also get the big whitefaced hornets around our house and I'd bet a sting from one of those would be a bigger deal for either one of us...

What I would like to know is how someone sawed that opening without getting stung.

Hornet anesthetic?

Never had hornet sting, had ground yellow wasp sting, that was enough for me.

Rod.

Originally Posted by CT8

That goes against my belief that killing living creatures needs to be quick and painless. I kill a lot of black window spiders every year and they die so quick that I don't think they ever know what hits them. Hopefully by doing that, I can build up some good Karma and die a quick and painless death someday.
55.gif

Drowning is a vacuum filled with soapy water any better?

That is cool. I saw a construction crew come to a standstill clearing lot when they went to push over a dead tree with a huge nest in it.

The tree was well gone by. Fill the gaping void with wood putty?

Cut a 10' section of the tree (with the nest undisturbed) and fly it to deep woods and let the little monsters live.

I wonder what they (the wasps) do for the planet.

That could've been a great 2:30 video. They're always too long.

Originally Posted by Kira
I wonder what they (the wasps) do for the planet.

Check my posting 8 posts up.

Also, the same can be said about many insects, especially mosquitoes.

Not all wasp species are the same either. The normal paper wasps are somewhat aggressive, the yellow jackets about the same. But then there are some like the bald faced hornets that go out of their way to attack, those are very dangerous if you happen on a large nest and they go after you. Those European hornets in the video look similar.

I remember getting started at a new site when I was painting houses and noticing a can of wasp spray in one of our boxes of supplies.
The boss was just about to take off in his little truck, I held up the can and asked him what was up..."Oh, yeah, the soffits are infested with wasps here, just spray them when they come after you."
I think I made less than $5/hour at that job, would have been SO worth it to fall off a roof and die after being attacked by wasps. I'm not even sure if I was covered by my dad's health insurance then...

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I kill a lot of black window spiders every year

So thankful I have white windows.

Quattro Pete, check your carma.....
banana2.gif

I have beige Mac spiders.

It's more fun with flames.

Or some of that expanding foam stuff....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back