Interesting warning on documentation that came with long block

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to recall someone having exhaust manifold work performed and then experienceing valve damage shortly there after. Apparently their catalyst is bolted right to the manifold (some foreign designed engine). Anyway the documentation that came with my factory reman'd long block says to clean the intake (duh) and the exhaust manifolds and the catalytic converter. I guess the scavenging effect can have unexpected consequences of sucking debris back into the combustion chamber.
dunno.gif

I think the manufacturere with the direct bolt on Cat converter is Kia.

What a nightmare they are I heard. Expensive cat swap.

Yip, and they are known to fail just as the warranty is gone.

Mind you with Kia isn't the warranty close to 7 years or something?

There is an auto manufacture who is currently having an expensive issue with exactly this problem.

The pup cats at the end of the headers are disingegrating, and the wave dynamics of the head and header are such that the particles of disintegrating Cats find their way back into the cylinder, where they proceed to tear up the upper cylinder area.

quote:

The catch is expensive service to keep the warranty up. There are not a lot of independent mechanics that work on Kia's and can do everything required. At work, someone just sold their almost three year old Kia after trying to keep up with required maintenance, and bought a Civic.

quote:

Originally posted by Jim 5:
I thought emissions items like catalysts had to have a longer term warranty by federal law.

The last one I heard was 8/80k ..but it may be 10/100 by now
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:

quote:

The catch is expensive service to keep the warranty up. There are not a lot of independent mechanics that work on Kia's and can do everything required. At work, someone just sold their almost three year old Kia after trying to keep up with required maintenance, and bought a Civic.

Yea, guess they want you to practically replace the car before the warranty expires.
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back