Interesting RX observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys & Gals

So I thought I would share some interesting stuff concerning my Auto RX treatment of my 04 Mazda3 - 90,000kms.
I don't have a digi cam or the pictures would speak for themselves.
I bought this car before the winter , and it was dealer serviced before I got it .

-Before the Winter I did a Amsoil engine flush and re-filled with Castrol 5w-30 syntec and a wix filter. I ran this oil for over 6,000kms. I kept the filter in a ziplock back to compare with the RX filter.
My car has a cartridge type filter - I replace the element only
-Then used GTX 5w-30 with the RX clean phase. Run it for 6,000kms as well.
Pulled the RX filter out and compared it to the Syntec filter.
-I was suprised to find that the RX filter captured nothing at all, just golden brown. The Syntec filter was filthy, little bits of goo and the media was jet black.
I am not a pro but to me it looks like the syntec cleaned the engine better than the Auto RX.
I cut both filters open and stretched out to view in between the pleats - and the findings were the same!

I am currently 1,000kms into my Rinse phase and will compare the three filters side by side - I will try to find a friend with a digi cam and hopefully post the results, a few months.

As of no I am feeling a little ripped off for the price I paid to get RX into my Canadian hands. Shipping/exchange and everything was almost $40 CAD.

I would encourage everyone who is using RX to get a baseline and compare the filters before/clean phase/rinse phase.
You might be surprised.

Next time I might just run diesel oil instead for 5k!

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
It does not do much in the cleaning phase, the rinse phase is when the magic happens. :p

I agree 100%

I will keep my fingers crossed - also dealer service was dino 5w-20 QS every 7k kms.

Just be patient, you're jumping the gun a little here. Wait for the rinse phase. Syntec is a good oil but I highly doubt it would clean "better" than ARX.

It will be nice to see the rinse filter.

Good Luck!

Supposedly most of the cleaning occurs during the rinse phase.

But from my experience, Auto-RX did not do anything for my car even though the engine was neglected.

I've used ARX on 3 vehicles so far and only one had what I would consider some rediish/brown residue on the valvetrain. So I would consider the other two vehicles to have been fairly clean engines anyways, if not very clean. I found that all three vehicles showed dirtier/darker oil and filters during the clean phase than the rinse phase. The vehicle with the residue on the valvetrain had a very reddish/brown tint to it during both rinse phases though.

The 4th vehicle I'm using it on is a brand new 2009 RAV4 V-6. I changed the OEM fill and cartridge filter at 600 miles. The oil and filter element looked very clean, as I would expect. The fresh fill included a 3 oz maintenance dose of ARX. I changed that oil and filter at 2000 miles (1400 mile OCI). The oil was pretty clean looking, but the filter media was surprisingly dark for such a short interval. It also had a fair amount of dirt and grit in between the pleats. I will be changing the oil (with ARX) and filter again at 5000 miles. It will be interesting to see what happens then. I'm using Valvoline Premium 5W-30 for break-in.

So far, I'm impressed with the results of ARX in the engines for preventive maintenance. But I'm blown away by how it has saved an automatic transmission, a steering rack, and what appears a transfer case. I couldn't be happier.

I'm on the fence about buying and using Auto-Rx, so I have been trying to read as much as I can about it.

Some of you have stated that the cleaning happens in the rinse phase... Can someone explain this further?

I would think most of the cleaning is accomplished in the Cleaning phase, since there is actual Auto-Rx mixed in with the oil at that time.. Or .. is it just loosening everything during the Cleaning Phase, and you continue to see more results in the Rinse phase?

If your hands are dirty and you wash your hands with soap, doesn't the dirt come off when you rinse your hands with water.

Clean Phase loosens everything up.

Rinse Phase sends everything to your oil filter.

Originally Posted By: c3po
If your hands are dirty and you wash your hands with soap, doesn't the dirt come off when you rinse your hands with water.

That's a question, right? Well, if my hands are soiled with old contaminated engine oil and grime, using soap and water will not clean my hands. I'll actually have to scrub with a brush, especially to get my fingernails (="oil rings" in your analogy, I suppose!
grin2.gif
) clean. I'll probably end up using abrasives like pumice or a citrus-based solvent. Maybe I should ARX my hands?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman

That's a question, right? Well, if my hands are soiled with old contaminated engine oil and grime, using soap and water will not clean my hands. I'll actually have to scrub with a brush, especially to get my fingernails (="oil rings" in your analogy, I suppose!
grin2.gif
) clean. I'll probably end up using abrasives like pumice or a citrus-based solvent. Maybe I should ARX my hands?
wink.gif

Oh get off it, you LOVE ARX
LOL.gif

But seriously, some people say the action happens in the rinse, but I have seen cleaning in both phases.

Either you like it or you don't, most (not all) have seen results w/ the product. The overwhelming amount of positive feedback on the product is why I tried it. I was on the fence as well but finally tried it and like it very much.

Waiting for Mori's next wisecrack
27.gif
Just messin' with you man.

grin2.gif
wink.gif

Mori, I was making an anology and using dirt in there, not oil, nice to see you here again.

grin2.gif
wink.gif

I use a hand cleaner that contains lanolin. It removes grease much more easily than most other cleaners do.

I always love Mori's comments, no matter what he says he will always be my friend.

I am probably the only friend he's got.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I use a hand cleaner that contains lanolin. It removes grease much more easily than most other cleaners do.

Lanolin is comedogenic. Maybe you should clean your engine with it.
wink.gif

I always love Mori's comments, no matter what he says he will always be my friend.

Sweet, but I don't want any ingratiating prigs as friends!
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back