Interesting read from australian blender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://nulon.com.au/facts/Factsheet 103.pdf

"Facts and Fallacies
Australians traditionally are of the opinion that our conditions are tougher than anywhere else
in the world, hence we must have thick, gutsy oils to provide protection. By and large, this is
absolute rubbish. In most parts of Australia conditions are quite temperate. Conditions in
Australia are no tougher than in the Arizona desert or, to the other extreme, Alaska. We are
fortunate in that we can use the same viscosity oil all year round. In Europe and North America
a car has to be prepared for the winter months, and again for the summer months. Part of the
preparation includes a change in the viscosity range of the engine oil to cope with the extreme
temperature conditions.
Some unethical manufacturers are producing and marketing oils of such high viscosity they are
not recognised as meeting industry standards. The general public and resellers are being led to
believe high viscosity oils offer a greater level of protection and reduced oil consumption"

Thanks for posting, that certainly is an interesting read! The bit you highlighted pretty much sums up people's mentality in the Middle East as well. Car specifies 5W-30 - but no, we'll just dump in 20W-50 because it provides "better" protection. No consideration given to tighter engine tolerances or anything like that.

Well for a BIG COUNTRY ..you need BIG&BOLD OIL. Makes perfect sense to me
21.gif

Nulon shouldn't even comment on the issue, given that they market a 40W-70, which isn't an industry accepted standard.

20W-50 was the Oz baseline for just about ever.

(20W-50 plus a tin of STP was what most mecahnics ran).

Then STP came out with 25W-60, and the fans went wild...then Penrite came out with their high visc, no FM tripe.

Finally the majors got in, offering xW-60s, and even 25W-70 (Shell).

If Nulon are declaringthemselves unethical for 40W-70, I've got no probs.

I think most people are still misinterpreting the original post in this thread. Virutally all of the population in Australia lives is on the coastal cites in very temperate (moderate temp) regions. Yes, there is a desert region, but few every drive there. The US has deserts that are just as extreme as the Australian interior.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

If Nulon are declaringthemselves unethical for 40W-70, I've got no probs.

they do seem to be contradicting themselves. in the same document where I got the quote above, they later on say "use a thick oil when its hot".

When I was working in Saudi Arabia we were using Castrol 10w-30 mineral base engine oils in GM cars.Have seen some cars have reached up to 500000kms with out any oil related problem.
Falcon LS still no tax in middle east? When I was there in mid nineties there was no tax on your salary.100% tax free salary.

Interesting.
a) A high viscosity oil takes longer to circulate and provides protection on initial start-up,
particularly in a cold engine.
b) A high viscosity engine oil may not even be picked up by the pump, resulting in severe
engine damage.
c) More energy is consumed to overcome the higher viscosity, i.e. increased fuel
consumption.
d) As high viscosity oils are more resistant to flow, oil does not return to the sump as quickly
for cooling.
e) It is true that a high viscosity oil produces higher oil pressure, but pressure in excess of
engine design requirements is of no significance or benefit.

Yes but everyone knows it's a lot more macho and a direct measure of your manhood to use heavy oil.

Only wimps use 0W-XX!

As a kid, my neighbour's son acquired a newish Triumph Bonneville (a beautiful bike and I know I'm dating myself). The spec' oil was Castrol 20W-4O. But being a cool kid he changed that out and installed some Castrol GP 50 race oil.
One cool evening after a fight with his girlfriend he fired up his stone cold bike and roared up the street. He managed to get about a mile before the engine seized.
My dad helped him rebuild the engine and told him to use the recommended 40 wt oil and of course to take it easy when the engine was cold.
About a month later. Another fight with the same girlfriend and an even cooler evening and off up the street he roared. Again he got about a mile before the engine seized.
This time my dad was less sympathetic. He even showed my dad a partially empty can the oil he used. It was Castrol GP 40 race oil not the 20W-40 street oil. My dad let him rebuild the engine himself this time.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
How do they come up with these oil grades? Extrapolate?

They talk funny.

When you talk funny your brain doesn't work.

If you don't believe me, drink a bunch of alcohol and see you talk and think.

I reckon they are slamming Penrite oils (another Australian brand), because they are big advocates of thicker oil.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Do they even stock 5w20's down there?

It would be interesting to see some UOA's on the same engine with different viscosities.
banana2.gif

Only Fuchs that i know off have the *w20 grades. Shell has it special order but for racing cars i think.

Nulon are only new to making oils, selling them here for 2 years. They have been in the additive business forever, and i enjoy their products and info, but they still push and advertise Teflon use in all oil and fluid additives. I asked them if they use it in their oil and they deny it. So i take their word for it. Their oils arent the cheapest either as a Group 3 oil up there with Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge which are both PAO's content.

They are clearly targeting Penrite for their high visc oils as well as Castrol for the 10w60. Silly thing is Penrite have thinner oils as well and if you read their info sheets they only reason they made such wide viscosity and high visc stuff was to cover more vehicle requirements and have something unique that someone might want, so if you used 10w40, they made 10w50 common for that one step up and so it goes, if someone uses Mobil 1 5w50 and want slightly thicker, Penrite Make a PAO Sin 5w60. They even have a 0w50 (ester/pao) for those who want step up from 0w40. They never said if its better or worse, it was their marketing and they are very honest about it. Hence why people love their oils, and well priced. THey have a Sin range which is up there with Mobil, Shell, Castrol, then they have a Group 3 Synthetic range which is 30% cheaper at around $45-50 consistently, and regularly on special at $40 pushing it into the Semi synth and Magnatec price range of Castrol and Mobil etc. Nulon is $60 + for their GRoup 3 synthetics, they dont have a PAO. They are even more than Valvoline Synpower which is excellently priced. I cannot say much for Penzoil Platinum here or even Shell helix ultra at most places, they price we pay here for PP you would be able to use Redline or Amsoil in the U.S. Honestly up around $70-80 AUS for Platinum here. Thats why no one uses it. Shell is also $60 plus but is so wide spread can be found for around $50 if you look around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back