Interesting PQIA Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q is a boutique oil not unlike Amsoil. Extended performance and drain intervals are its hallmarks. The lack of manufacturers approvals should not deter anyone from stepping up to this fine lubricant of unknown base oils. j/k

Originally Posted by sloinker
Q is a boutique oil not unlike Amsoil. Extended performance and drain intervals are its hallmarks. The lack of manufacturers approvals should not deter anyone from stepping up to this fine lubricant of unknown base oils. j/k
grin2.gif

Boutique oils are generally over priced oils sold to 'true believer' customers.
Some are top notch oils, but that level of product is rarely, if ever, necessary.
Amsoil, Red Line, Shaffer's, and perhaps Royal Purple and a few more are
generally good products. I've seen some boutique oils by unknown blenders
that aren't over priced, but not worth taking a chance on.
Most especially motorcycle oils.

I know you are kidding around here.. the comparison between Amsoil and that garbage is like comparing horse number2 droppings to finished cut diamonds...

Amsoil is a great great product. With a long track record to prove it is a legitimate oil. API approval or not. Dexos approval or not.

But I have seen first hand one of those bad oils listed on the PQIA site.... That "oil" looked jacked jacked up... Not translucent... Strange color... And when compared to Valvoline white bottle it was obvious that something was terribly wrong with that junk "oil".

And for people on here who say color doesn't matter much... This was a clear case where it mattered a whole heck of a lot. Plus the lack of clarity of that "oil" was a aspect that obviously mattered a whole lot too.

This is the part that always got to me ... a single mom driving an oil burning beater to a low paying job will not know better than to buy this garbage ... Hence the below:

"banned 19 motor oil products from sale in the state, "Many of these allegedly mislabeled motor oils are sold at cheap prices, thereby luring those consumers who can least afford the extra maintenance costs or early engine failure that may result from using the wrong type of motor oil."

Originally Posted by 4WD
This is the part that always got to me ... a single mom driving an oil burning beater to a low paying job will not know better than to buy this garbage ...

These are the cars I do "charity" oil changes on.

I sometimes don't see them until two years later -

- same oil filter I put on in 2015 or 2016

Originally Posted by bbhero
^^^^^^

I agree 4wd. Great point there.

They still sell some of this trash here in quick marts ... it sits right next to a bottle of Chevron premium dino that's 0.50 more ...
I told one of the owners how bad it was and just got "well, people buy it because it's cheaper" ...

The irony here of course is if one reads the PQIA site or is a bitog member/reader then very unlikely to buy bad oil. Unfortunately, it's the unsophisticated unaware consumer frequenting places like convenience stores that are snagged. Removing bad oil from shelves is an example of good gov't intervention. Beyond that, requiring a warning about buying bad oil anywhere oil is sold, or posting the linked PQIA article. Obviously that's not going to happen or even feasible.

PQIA is to be applauded for trying, but as long as there are unethical "motor oil" manufacturers, some are going to be preyed upon.

Originally Posted by 4WD
^^^^^^

They still sell some of this trash here in quick marts ... it sits right next to a bottle of Chevron premium dino that's 0.50 more ...
I told one of the owners how bad it was and just got "well, people buy it because it's cheaper" ...

Well, ya know that old saying "you cant fix stupid!"

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by 4WD
^^^^^^

Well, ya know that old saying "you cant fix stupid!"

The majority of owners have no idea what API and or manufacturer recommendation mean. Some hardcore followers still can't fathem because store brand has the same recommendations and certifications as their favorite brand means thier performance is so close to equal if I changed thier oil while they are sleeping 200K miles later they would never know.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by 4WD
This is the part that always got to me ... a single mom driving an oil burning beater to a low paying job will not know better than to buy this garbage ...

These are the cars I do "charity" oil changes on.

I sometimes don't see them until two years later -

- same oil filter I put on in 2015 or 2016

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Really cool deal Linctex. Well well done.

Well … seems folks don't realize we are a small tribe with a few Tribol leaders … (consider you as one)
There are still millions who live paycheck to paycheck … and motor oil is not interesting to them …

And there are so many products we could cross relate this junk oil to that would bring down lightning from the skies if put on a shelf (or maybe a pump) to scam the poorest of consumers …
NY got this right …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back