Interesting "plain Jane" 2010 F250 at auction today

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
2010 F250 "plane Jane" F250 at salvage auction today. Pre bid is at 4k.

Not sure why this truck is at a salvage auction, where one can't test drive, etc. Title is clear. Looks not well taken care of and has zero options. A color few may like, but one may not be able to be choosey in today's market.

A wild guess- this was a government vehicle purchased at a government auction. Has some major problem that make the truck not easy to sell at a used car lot. So put it on a salvage auction and see what bids come in.

f250.jpg

RWD, awful color, 5.4 liter engine, beat to crap, tailgate suggests a fifth wheel or gooseneck... so it has been used to pull... with only a 5.4. Only thing going for it is low miles.

2 door, 2 wheel-drive, vinyl seats and floors, manual windows, steel wheels, bright green, etc. Couldn't give that away even today except to a landscaper. At least it's built to do exactly what pickups were meant to be and not become a mall crawler for soccer moms.

Car wizard absolutely rails against the triton engine. His newest video basically states that any of these Ford trucks you buy with a triton engine, just plan on replacing the engine as part of your purchase price.

Oh, and if you look at the miles per gallon it shows less than 3 miles per gallon on average. So clearly was being used to haul something, and matches with the tailgate.

And if you do like the car wizard says, both the engine and the transmission will need to be replaced most likely. 10K at a shop.

Car wizard absolutely rails against the triton engine. His newest video basically states that any of these Ford trucks you buy with a triton engine, just plan on replacing the engine as part of your purchase price.
Just another anonymous shop in the middle of nowhere that got famous only because of youtube. If people only bring him broken triton engines, of course it's gonna seem like all of them are junk. People rarely bring in good running ones to replace the engine.

This truck looks like a basket case! The only good thing about is is the color :D

Oh, and if you look at the miles per gallon it shows less than 3 miles per gallon on average. So clearly was being used to haul something, and matches with the tailgate.

And if you do like the car wizard says, both the engine and the transmission will need to be replaced most likely. 10K at a shop.

Isn't that the kind of mpg 18 wheelers get?

Definitely was a fleet vehicle and you can see from the under hood shot that was the factory color. Was that color offered to the public? I don't think I have ever seen one.

For $4k even if it needs some drivetrain repair it's worth it.

The 3v triton in the 3/4 tons were often run on fleet oils. 15w40s and the like. They last quite a bit longer that way than the 1/2 tons 5w20 spec. Had one in my 09 and ran like a top on 0w40. Don’t discount the drivetrain with a 6w140 transmission in it.

Are all 5.4's 3V or not? Definitely the 3V is a terrible engine.
No, the 2V 5.4L (which is extremely reliable, see: the million mile van) was sold for many years. There was also a supercharged 2V for the F-150 Lightning and Harley Davidson truck, as well as a DOHC 32V version found in the Lincoln Navigator and a derivative of that mill in the Cobra-R.

I would bet that p/u was run hard and put away wet !! look at the grill , body damage and the tailgate.
This truck looks like a basket case! The only good thing about is is the color :D

Isn't that the kind of mpg 18 wheelers get?
They get better. I had a 1976 International TransStar II with a Big Cam Cummins and running it hard it would get 4 mpgs.

Back