Interesting perspective from the enemy's position

Originally Posted By: msparks
Wow, watched this and thought, OMG how can they stand it? Is it gonna get me next? Also thought WOW, those bombs sure arrive fast. Aint but 2-3 sec. http://tinyurl.com/dgmcj7
Keep in mind that the artillery is traveling at many times the speed of sound. The projectile was already well on its way before you heard the report from the cannon.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Wow, watched this and thought, OMG how can they stand it? Is it gonna get me next? Also thought WOW, those bombs sure arrive fast. Aint but 2-3 sec. http://tinyurl.com/dgmcj7
Keep in mind that the artillery is traveling at many times the speed of sound. The projectile was already well on its way before you heard the report from the cannon.
+1 The sound has been edited as well so there is no way of telling what the actual timing was. The sound of the incoming round exploding is nearly simultaneous with the visible burst. That wouldn't be so unless the strikes were within a couple hundred feet from the camera, which they weren't.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
It would have been way better if we weren't watching this video at all.
+1

You guys are reading it all wrong. Someone needed the soil turned and a couple of wells dug. (remembering that guy in jail that wrote to his dad that "Joey" was buried in the garden). It would have been better if the last few seconds were with the camera on its side.

i reckon being in the artillery would be great, until you get to a set battle where you have the same skills firing back at you.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
i reckon being in the artillery would be great, until you get to a set battle where you have the same skills firing back at you.
It's hard dirty work and 155mm rounds weigh around 90 lbs. A lot of artillerymen also have severe hearing problems.

Originally Posted By: XS650
It's hard dirty work and 155mm rounds weigh around 90 lbs. A lot of artillerymen also have severe hearing problems.
+1. at university we always had to speak up in one class cos the prof was in the artillery when he was young.

Looks like a training video to teach their people how long they have to change positions before we return fire. It's possible that the rockets were fired by people but the camera is probably in a tripod without anyone minding it.

msparks

Back when I was at the 101st. They would do Tactical operation demonstrations, where they would sling load a howitzer in an start putting lead on target within 60 seconds of hitting the ground. Pretty cool. Thanks for the link to the firing video.

Our rounds were on the back of Erector Launchers. You can see one of them at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum sitting next to an SS-20.

The newest self-loading howitzers are can send off 6 rounds in a row and have them all hit the ground at the same time. It doesn't allow the enemy to move after the first round hits. cool stuff.

Come to think of it, you don't really get to see the rounds. Think about it.
 Originally Posted By: javacontour
Our rounds were on the back of Erector Launchers. You can see one of them at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum sitting next to an SS-20.