Interesting Pennzoil dino effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother's F150 did the same thing when going from Motorcraft to PP. It has leveled off now(maybe 1/4 qt per 5K miles).

Originally Posted By: tig1
Why use an engine flush if the engine is clean. Long time M1 user here and i've never had a need to use that stuff. In fact I never heard of Arx until I joined BITOG a few months ago.

ARX is not an engine flush, and has a great number of "success stories" on here. I had a bottle, so figured this was a good opportunity to use it. If no benefits are gained, nothing is really lost... except a bit of oil consumed.

Long term I will be going back to M1 HM or maxlife, its just interesting, that's all... time will tell what happens. I have about 1600 miles to drive next week, and Ill be watching it closely.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
The only thing that goes in my crankcase is *OIL*.

thumbsup2.gif

Couldn't agree with you more.

My '87 Legend did the same thing when I ran one change interval (5k miles) with Pennzoil YB 10w-40.

Since I've owned the car (272k to 400k miles) I've run nothing but Delo 15w-40. Original owner ran Castrol GTX 10w-40.

Using Delo, I'd hit the add a quart mark at 4500 miles. When I used Pennzoil YB 10w-40, it hit the add a quart mark at 3000 miles. I used the YB because I had it laying around and I wanted to use it up.

Anyway, going back to Delo the engine went back to the 4500 mile add a quart interval.

My Park Avenue has been consuming some oil during the last 10K miles. Back in '07 I ran my Auto-Rx treatment (on Chevron dino) and then switched in April of '08 to PP. At 2600 miles the low oil message appeared, and I was down half a quart. This continued, with me having to add a quart in 5500 miles/6 months. The last 6 months/4800 miles, I had to add 1.5 quarts.

Now I don't know if it is due to Auto-Rx, if it's due to PP, or if this car normally uses 1/2 quart of any brand of oil by 2600 miles. It's part of the reason I went back to dino on this change; we'll see if it leaks/consumes on Castrol, and if it does, how much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back