Interesting oil filter cut & post video

Saw this interesting video on a VIC oil filter. The guy is asserting that the bend on the base plate might’ve been caused by the leaf spring design. There are no obvious dents on the can, so if it’s not the leaf spring causing the bend then it must’ve happened during the manufacturing process

The can has the best paint work that I've seen on an oil filter! :LOL:
The MFG should be notified of this bend in the end plate where the spring is located.
They may want to make changes to this spring design. Yeah right! :ROFLMAO: Who would have ever known?

Plenty of holes in that center tube and the way the filter seam is done with it already attached to the tube, not sure I have ever seen that done that way.

Interesting, the VIC oil filters are regarded as the best oil filters in the russian oil Forum. They never had a faulty one, to my Knowledge.

There are no obvious dents on the can, so if it’s not the leaf spring causing the bend then it must’ve happened during the manufacturing process
It does look like the flimsy end cap did bend where the leaf spring is putting all of it's pressure on the end cap. Could be the stack up of the guts are just a hair too long for the assembled can, and therefore the leaf spring was probably "bottomed out" and the flimsy end cap was the weak link and bent slightly.

I think he's right. That leaf spring most probably caused the bent endcaps which in-turn compromised the filter pleat straightness. Other than that, great looking filter.

This VIC Oil Filter for Honda has the same Spring design and the end caps are not bent.

Looks like a failure - Bad batch in the manufacturing process. I dont think that the spring(design) is the culprit. Most likely the end caps where bend before the catridge was inserted into the filter casing.

Back