Interesting observation on fuel economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The pickup has another 100 bhp?
There's your answer.
At the power peak, the pickup must burn more fuel to make more power.
You note that both of you used WOT regularly.
WOT in the pickup brings more power, so it must consume more fuel to make the greater power.

Yup, mentioned that in the OP. I'm just thinking that those brief bursts of WOT wouldn't be enough to make up for me towing the trailer, but I'm guessing that's not the case and in fact it was.

The difference is not all that great. About 8 liters of fuel over the span of 400km sounds about right for the extra 100hp. Perhaps you used WOT on the F150 more than you realize
wink.gif

2002 Expedition MPG 11City/15hwy
2014 Ford F150 (5.0) 14City/19hway - E85(10City/14hway)

These figures are according to fueleconomy.gov

In 2002 Gasoline was $1.25 a gallon
Today Gasoline is $2.29 a gallon

While the price of fuel has doubled, the fuel economy has not. I would rather have double fuel economy than double the HP. IMHO.

Headwind/tailwinds? Temperature differences?
I have found towing an aerodynamic load on a trailer doesn't really hurt mpg very much at all behind the Tracker and although I use a lot more throttle to get going, I also leave a lot more space and do more low/off throttle coasting, and make sure I don't have to stop at lights, just coast and time them to keep up momentum.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Headwind/tailwinds? Temperature differences?
I have found towing an aerodynamic load on a trailer doesn't really hurt mpg very much at all behind the Tracker and although I use a lot more throttle to get going, I also leave a lot more space and do more low/off throttle coasting, and make sure I don't have to stop at lights, just coast and time them to keep up momentum.

Temp was roughly the same; within a few degrees. It was windier when I took the Expedition.

Must have just been there was more liberal use of WOT with the F-150
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back