Interesting message on my computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been getting an annoying message that tells my my computer is at risk and if I want to fix it I should call 855-820-4763 immediately. I called the number out of curiosity and this turns out to be a scam. Surprise! Has anyone else come across this this message and this phone number?

So if the area code is offshore and they charge $15/minute back to AT&T or whomever, they make their money. Make sure the area code is toll free (which 855 is) or is "in the US or Canada"; the scam maybe the call, not the fake service. JMO.

download malwarebytes on another computer to a USB stick and run it on your infected machine.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Has anyone else come across this this message and this phone number?

Negative.
Sounds like you were clicking around somewhere that you shouldn't have been and picked something up. It happens.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
download malwarebytes on another computer to a USB stick and run it on your infected machine.

THIS!
You may have to do it this way. Lots of these loserware virus programs will not let you download what will get rid of them.
Had to do this on a computer once about 5-6 years ago.
Best of luck

Interesting pop up.

Definitely run a few virus / malware, etc programs to clean the PC.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

It's just a javascript pop-up on a web site. No malware involved; just the equivalent of someone on the street trying to hustle you, or a telemarketer trying to sell you a scam.

Next time just google the number:

Quote:
Got VERY LOUD pop up on computer as I went to new screen. Said my computer may be at risk and call this number for Tech Support. Could not back out. Opened several new windows and ad still there. I had been hijacked. It fooled me for a minute because their logo is a rip off of AVG which I have. I do get notifications from AVG but never LOUD talking ones with a phone number. I was able to get free by shutting down my Internet session.
The caller was identified as a AVC
Reported 14th, Jul. 2014.

Bogus computer assistance for non-existant virus - call them and do what they say so they can take over your computer, steal your information and install their demons in it. Don't click on their ad!!!!

Read more at http://www.callercenter.com/855-820-4763.html#fz2sj6p5gVpLZuRw.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back