Interesting Locomotive oil info

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgl

I used to volunteer at a train museum, the steam engines were lubed with grease that was packed into a threaded hole in the connecting rods and then a screw was squeezed down on it. The grease was almost as solid as an Ivory soap bar. If you made a ball of it and threw it at somebody's head it would probably knock him out.

I talked to a guy that works as a mechanic at the local railroad and I asked a few questions about the engines. He said they pull oil samples every month from the engines. I think they are 16 cylinder diesels. They used Shell oil and when the dipstick is at the add mark they add a 50 gallon drum of oil to the sump. I thought that was kind of interesting.

In 1968 I used to work as a hostler on the Erie RR. We not only had turntables to turn engines but we had a wash rack and service area. We would hook up a air pump in a 55 gal. drum of lube oil to fill it if it was just to the add mark.One thing not many people know the equiptment that fixes the tracks cost at least 2 times as much to maintain as the rolling stock.

Canadian Nation Railway(CNR) is the major employer in my little town. I work for them through my taxi company and my older brother is currently employed by CNR as an engineer. Here's some interesting facts on some of the newer locomotives out there:

-crankcase oil capacity: 400+ gallons
-fuel capacity: 4000 gallons
-fuel used: #2 diesel, similar to heating oil.
-coolant capacity: 275 gallons
-weight: 200+ tons
-expected service life: 40+ years.
-cost: $2 million dollars
-4300 hp at the wheels
-engine: turbocharged 2-stroke V16 diesel displacing 11,360 cubic inches
-each piston is 9" across and travels an 11" stroke.
-idle: 270rpm, redline: 900rpm
-the generator for the electric motors could power 1000 houses
-each traction motor can draw nearly 1200 amps.
-the contact patch between a train wheel and the track is smaller than a dime.
-a train with 0.5hp per ton can easily travel along at 60mph.
-a freight train uses 1/100th the manpower and 1/7th the fuel compared to a fleet of tractor-trailers to carry the same weight the same distance.
-the cooling system is filled with straight water. So if the engine ever needs to be shut down in the winter, there is a valve on the outside to dump out all the coolant.
-to assist in braking, the traction motors can be reversed and act as generators. The generated power is turned into heat and dissapated through large radiators in the roof.
-the 2 major manufacturers in North America are General Motors and General Electric.

Norfolk-Southern in this part of the world uses Gulf oil. I believe the viscosity is 15W40. They sample it every so often, and only change when the lab tells them it's time. FWIW
smile.gif

The local coal region serviced by Burlington-Northern Railroad probably runs appx., 70 plus sets of trains through the area strip mines. Using the above mentioned oil and fuel capacities we see a three engine train set holding 1,200 gals.,of oil and 12,000 gals., of #2 diesel fuel. Some of the older engine sets use 4 engines to a train.

Imagine what future fuel and oil costs are going to eventually add to your power and light bill.

Good time to stock up on current oil before the prices go much higher.

Next time you get stopped by a train, before you get too mad think of how many trucks it takes off your road.

More train stuff:

The largest North American locomotive in use today is 6000hp on a single 16 cylnders diesel engine. Both GE and EMD (formerly a division of GM) make a 6000hp model. However the dominant units today run about 4400hp.

Newer units have to comply with EPA Tier 2 pollution requirements, mostly concerning exhaust emissions. Newer units use 4 stroke diesels, the 2 stroke variety is unable to meet Tier 2 requirements.

https://www.getransportation.com/general/locomotives/parts/7FDL.asp

Most coal trains (and some others depending on the region) use 2-3 units (usually in the 4400hp range each) on the front and 1-2 radio controlled unit (also 4400hp each) on the rear to push. Still just a 2 person crew.

A good site for train stuff:
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/index.php

my train pics:
http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showgallery.php?ppuser=136&cat=500&thumb=1

Now let's compare Olympic's stats loosely to those of Dr. Aehaas'(I don't know why I thought of this):

- $2MM (CDN) Locomotive vs. Miscellaneous Ferrari's, Lambo's, Mercedes, Maybach's and an explorer thrown in for the wife (new value) [Draw]

- Fits within a football field vs. fits within a large residential garage [Advantage - AEHaas]

- Displacement of 11,360 ci vs. Aggregate displacement of around 30L/1800 ci [Advantage CNR]

- 4300hp v. give or take 2000hp [Advantage CNR]

- .5hp/ton v. power to weight ratio on a Ferrari or Lambo [Advantage AEHaas]

- How many cars/semis does a train keep off the road vs. how many Kia's Dr. AEHaas could buy if he spent the original purchase price of his awesome fleet on Kia's [Advantage AEHaas...I think] Although I'd be pretty impressed if he fitted a locomotive with tires and a steering box and drove that baby to the office....of course, I'm betting it would have 5w-20 in the sump.

(This is just for fun..No disrespect to Dr. AEHaas....I love hearing about his cars, and reading his opinions on 5w-20. A great contributor to BITOG indeed!)

I love locomotives. Its awesome hearing that size diesel open up.
My older brother is an engineer with GE locomotive division and the lucky bugger gets to work with those monsters every day!

A bit off topic but saw a PBS show on a West Virginia sight seeing train that used to be a logger. Used Shay locomotive. What an interesting train! Lots of black smoke from the stack (coal-fired), and the smoke seemed to swirl out of the stack. Never seen a drive system like it before. Made in 1905, wheels direct drive somehow. Lots of info on the web.... Google Shay Locomotive if interested......

I have heard that old train engines used 'bunk oil' for hauling heavy loads. What exactly is Bunk Oil?

This is information I got while riding the Skunk Train in Northern California...which used to haul out redwood trees.

GL

some or most bunker fuel must be heated to pump well to injectors I have seen some that you could "put" a finger print into and it stayed.
bruce

for ships, bunker fuel was popular for boilers, etc. For many marine diesels, marine gas oil (MGO) is a popular fuel, which is similar to NATO F-76, which is used in military shipboard application for diesels and gas turbines. It is high sulfur (generally up to 10k ppm), but the viscosity isnt that great... its less viscous than FP, but generally quite brown.

JMH

Just in case anyone's interested, here's a pic that illustrates the size of the pistons and cylinder liners used in a railroad-sized diesel engine:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=243538

Here's the engine itself; this was a four-stroke engine which made 1,600 hp at 625 rpm:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=243536

And the locomotive, a so-called Baldwin "Shark" built in the early 1950s:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=243560

Not too reliable by modern standards, but those Sharks were good pullers in their day.

Those newer 2-stroke engines are 710 cubic inches per cylinder.

The ones I run are 645 cubes. 3000 hp turbocharged, 2000 hp with a Roots blower. The engines need a positive pressure on the fuel/air mix to run. The turbo is gear-driven at lower RPMs, then clutches out.

Part of the reason for water only for coolant is that anti-freeze would wipe out the bearings. Takes a big crane and a lot of money to change out the main bearings.

You don't want to know how much water is in the drain oil.
blush.gif

If the track is level, 0.5 hp/ton is fine. We usually try to have 1 hp/ton to make it over the hills, in decent time.

They try to have 4300 hp available for traction, so the engine makes a little more, for air compressor, aux generator, etc. There are losses in the system. A 2000 hp engine would have about 1634 hp at the rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back