Interesting list of advice for saving gas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this list on the internet of gas saving tips...most of them are well-known stuff, but there are a few interesting ones, right at the bottom - most notably, 'use a graphite motor oil'.

http://www.howtoadvice.com/savinggas

You don't hear much about graphte motor oil anymore, and I don't think there are any marketed in N/A now. I've read the threads on Arco, and how their graphite oil flopped years ago.

This is a fairly new list, so I am suprised that they mention graphite motor oil, but not regular synthetic oil for saving gas...Synthetic is much easier to get than graphite oil or additives, but there is no mention of them....weird!

Also interesting that they mention using MMO in the gas to save it, as experimenters on this site have found that sometimes the exact opposite happens, but the motor is smoother......

This must be older than that. They mention buying radial tires to reduce drag. Its tough to find any bais plys anymore, and the ones that are availible are almost strictly off road use only.

that article is an old one..in there is states when the old speed limit was 65- 70mph..talked about 55 the new speed limit....that must be at least 10 years old

1974 called, they want that article back.
grin.gif

They also talk about making sure the choke is disengaged, operating the carburator at peak efficiency, and removing vinyl tops!.... very dated!!!

BTW, what's the consensus on filling up during the cooler parts of the day? Isn't the temperature of gasoline in the underground tanks pretty much a constant?

Kestas,
yep, the tanks are a relatively constant temperature all day.

That being said, don't buy straight after a tanker drop in hot weather...not only is the fuel hot, but anything in the tanks will be in suspension.

ooops....look who's got egg on their face!

To be truthful, I read the article, but I didn't read it too closely or pay that much attention to it...but you guys are right, there are 100 clues in that article that it is severely dated!

dunno.gif
...sorry to waste time with this!

Although, even this being found out, Synthetic oils were out at the time graphite oil was out, so I'm still somewhat suprised it wasn't mentioned!

Actually it's kind of an interesting article. I need to read it while I wear my leisure suit and listening to disco for the full effect though...
lol.gif

Addyguy, if you haven't noticed, one of our pleasures on this site is to pick apart information. It's good you posted it.

I love the advice to avoid reverse gear maneuvers to save gas. How is that possible? If you're not backing out of parking space, you usually have to back into one. Also, what about reverse gear causes this wasted fuel?

Lotsa bad advice in that article!

quote:

Originally posted by michaelc80:
Actually it's kind of an interesting article. I need to read it while I wear my leisure suit and listening to disco for the full effect though...
lol.gif

Funny you should mention that, as when I was reading it the BeeGee's "Stayin Alive" was on the radio! WOW I Think I experienced a time space anomoly
lol.gif

Matt_S wrote:

>> I love the advice to avoid reverse gear maneuvers to save gas. How is that possible? If you're not backing out of parking space, you usually have to back into one. >>

It won't help you save gas, but it reduces the chance of your backing out blind and being hit by some moron using his cell phone.

If you back in to the space, what's behind you is (usually) stationary, because it's already parked. When you come out, you don't have to inch your way into the traffic lane, hoping no SUV is bearing down on you. You can look easily around you and pull out without so much strain. (Maybe that's where you might save some gas -- not inching out.)

The advice might be dated. Doesn't necessarily mean it's bad for today; some of it doesn't apply, that's all. The principle of thinking ahead still applies. (Okay, I'll agree: the "Inflate all tires to the maximum limit" isn't good advice.)

Check out the link at the bottom -- "45 Professional Tips to Cut Big Gasoline Bills." A couple of those are dated, but most of them are still useful. I like "Let [the kids] walk to school"!

-- Paul W.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
I love the advice to avoid reverse gear maneuvers to save gas. How is that possible? If you're not backing out of parking space, you usually have to back into one. Also, what about reverse gear causes this wasted fuel?

quote:

Originally posted by labman:

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:

Oops, left out;

Thinking about this some. How many times have you killed 5 minutes driving all the way back to Wally's waiting for everybody to get out of the way, and still ended up parking out a ways? Suppose instead, you pulled and grabbed a spot near the outer, scattered places with nobody facing you. Maybe even one close to a cart return. You are going to be in the store while the guy in front of you is still waiting for Granny to grab the spot where somebody is unloading their cart after they pull out. You come back out, put your stuff in your car, drop the cart off, and pull through into the outbound lane and head for the exit. You saved time, gas, and didn't end up walking much more than usual. Fewer door dings too. I already sort of do that to gain access to the grass to relieve the dog before going in. May work on it more.

Drive slower only works to a degree. Cars used to get their best mileage at about 30-40. From there it went down. Haven't gone anywhere much since I got my Scan Gauge, http://www.scanguage.com/ I haven't done much with it so far. Can't figure out a place to mount where I can see it, but people that might mistake it for a radar detector can't. Don't want to fool the cops or the people that would break into the car. Going to Pittsburgh for our son's wedding late next month. Could be a good time to let my wife drive part of the time while I play with my toy. I had a Zemco computer cruise control on my '81
Phoenix. It showed about 4 mph difference between 60 and 70. Be interesting to see how my more aerodynamic Cavalier does with FI.

Maybe this article isn't outdated: Convert your V8 to V4 = HEMI Multi Displacement Engine.

The term "carburetor" should have been an another clue. The artical is just the same as all the current gas saving tips: drive like a grandma, and keep your air filter clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back