Interesting info when cross examining part numbers

CKN

So I needed a cabin air filter for my 2017 Santa Fe XL. Rock Auto had them for $3.16 cents each. Brand is "Ultra Power". I bought two. Shipping was $5.00 for both. The part number is not a sticker-but an image printed right on the package. Around the web WIX uses the same part number for their filter-for an average of $10.00 each. Looks identical. It pays to shop around.

Many companies "use" competitor's part numbers just for familiarity. STP (Autozone), SuperTech, etc use FRAM part numbers for oil filters and I presume air filters too.

you can't even go by the supplier as one filter may have met a different standard than the other...Chevrolet makes the Malibu and the Corvette but the two are not identical... ;)

Bill

Was the WIX filter supposed to be extra special for $10? I'd assume not, so yeah it's good to get either same level of filtration, or at least "good enough" for lower cost, but when bottom feeding like this, I find it is often more of a gamble what shows up in the box... if you order same "Ultra Power" in a few years to replace what you have now, will you get the same filter or whatever they sourced at the time? The latter seems more likely to me.

Granted, I'm a fan of "good enough". It's not particularly dusty here, I don't have severe allergic responses, and might just remove a cabin air filter once it gets dirty and not put a new one in, for higher airflow particularly in winter for faster windshield defrost/deicing. Sometimes I even open my windows or sunroof without a filter over it. ;)

Once again the point is missed.
The CAF is there to keep bad things away from the expensive-to-replace evaporator and/or heater core.
Dave, turn your pineapple right-side-up and always install a CAF. It's there to protect a part of your vehicle.
You can find another, cheaper way to be recalcitrant...you rebel you.

"Back in great grampi's day they didn't wash their hands before surgery...didn't hurt them none".

Back