Interesting development on Oz fuel dependence

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife & I had an opportunity to emigrate to Australia in the mid-90's, but saw it as a somewhat shaky prospect at the time (however the facility we would have worked at is still going strong).

Posts like this and the one where the older guy who broke up a home invasion getting a Luger away from his assailants and wound up being charged with manslaughter make me appreciate our decision to stay here in the USA.

This is the kind of stuff you get when you grease a politician. The holding company behind all this is as corrupt as they come. They know that just about any politician has a price. I hope the citizens support these guys and their demonstration. Let's hope Tony Abbot is as good as his speeches.

Lots of violations of several kinds on the replacement tanker, where they are paying the crew $2 per hour.

I think that is a good illustration of the mistake the oil company is making in this situation. You want quality you have to pay for it.

It is a shame. Sadly I doubt there will be much pressure on the company. At least here in the US plenty of people buy Firestones after the Explorer scandal, BP gas after the gulf disaster, Sony tv's after the rootkits... etc. People just don't care, if it costs 3% less they buy it. And the reason it costs 3% less (in this case) is that the guys on the boat are making two bucks an hour.

I mean, from the article the company sells 25% of Australia's fuel. One would think after this press... not anymore they don't. Sadly I think it will matter very little to their market share, and will benefit their bottom line.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
My wife & I had an opportunity to emigrate to Australia in the mid-90's, but saw it as a somewhat shaky prospect at the time (however the facility we would have worked at is still going strong).

Posts like this and the one where the older guy who broke up a home invasion getting a Luger away from his assailants and wound up being charged with manslaughter make me appreciate our decision to stay here in the USA.

My wife is continually printing out positions vacant int eh US for me to read over dinner...you made the right call I think.

We have so much as a country, and within a decade when the only jobs are barristas and hairdressers, and no-one can afford those "services"...bleh..

It wasn't easy Brisbane / Bulwer Island climate was described as very similar to what I grew up in on the South Texas Gulf Coast, and now I'm almost a Canuck in Northwest Ohio!

We've had so many refineries change hands in the last 20 years here that you're a grey beard if you know the lineage. A positive side effect is some companies with particularly poor personnel safety records no longer exist here though.

Best of luck to y'all in such matters maybe there will only be a brief period of unease before matters settle out. It's tougher sometimes when an established global company pulls out and some independent fills the void.

Whups - I looked again - the Bulwer Island refinery is to shut next year and only operate as a terminal afterwards!

We certainly did make the correct decision then. Looks like you have flight of the supermajors from Oz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back