Interesting Coolant Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool
smile.gif
G1200 looks like a great stuff. Will it work with toyota coolant? Or just mixed with water?

I didn't mean for that to be taken as a recommendation. I hoped the guy doing that experiment would have posted pics of the other mixtures and the metals.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
Cool
smile.gif
G1200 looks like a great stuff. Will it work with toyota coolant? Or just mixed with water?

I was just going to ask that. We Toyota owners are told by dealers to only use Toyotas red concentrate or pink 50/50. That they have chemistry specific to the aluminum block, head, and radiator used. Not doing so will result in corrosion which leads to overheating problems and mechanical failures (water pumps, head gaskets, etc). Mixing green will result in gel, I have seen that personally on a neighbors car.

I topped off with Universal Prestone (light yellow) will I be fine, or should I drain it this summer? I added 2 qt max. Noob in coolants,they still confuse me a little.

I topped off with Universal Prestone (light yellow) will I be fine, or should I drain it this summer? I added 2 qt max. Noob in coolants,they still confuse me a little.

It's your decision on what you want to use. Personally I wouldn't worry about using Prestone AMAM.

I use Super Tech in my stuff. If you can back flush your cooling system, get it clean, flush the city water out with distilled water, you could also probably use Super Tech. There are directions all over the Internet on how to do this. Bing and Google are your friends.

Mixing green with any non green always has disasterous results. Even mixing g12 with g12 plus or g12 plus plus can cause gelling in higher concentrations. I just replaced a water pump in a VW cabrio that had green instead of g11 and the water pump vanes were worn to about half their normal depth. I cracked one of the vanes off and you could see the plastic was dyed green even internally.

Zyx, Id change the coolant out, 1/2 gallon is kind of alot to top off with. Although it says its safe, who really knows. Id dump it and refil with toyota or approved stuff.

2qt top off was due removing intake manifolds and valve covers. Coolant looks bright and clean since I got the car. And I think it drips a little somewhere, I believe I just reattached some little hose not really tight, can smell some burnt coolant sometimes after long hwy drive when car stops.

Last edited:
So why does he have a picture of pre-mix peak but claim it's 100%? The jug also looks like the older siliated green, not the universal the author claims.

2qt top off was due removing intake manifolds and valve covers. Coolant looks bright and clean since I got the car. And I think it drips a little somewhere, I believe I just reattached some little hose not really tight, can smell some burnt coolant sometimes after long hwy drive when car stops.

do you have the large tank at the passenger crash wall?

Yeah its similar to my 02. Here's what i think...Notice how low the fill line is on the tank, and the cap with the overflow tube has a breather. Because the fill line is so low and there's so much air, when its hot the expansion coolant fills the tank, forcing air out the breather. What you smell. Hot coolant vapors. I smell it too. And I think that low fill line exposes the coolant to more air than others causing more evaporation. I looked at my 00 corolla which uses just a tiny bit of coolant in a year. Different setup, 90% full, no air cavity. I decided to ignore the fill lines on the Camry and fill that up about 90%. Sure enough the coolant loss slowed to a trickle, and the smell on hot days from the breather disappeared. Try it, wont hurt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back