Interesting comparison

Nice, I like reviews like this.
My BIL bought his 3rd Camry(2018)...the newest generation and is very disappointed in the feeling of quality from his previous Camry's. He had:
1995 Camry XLE 4 cyl
2004 Camry LE 4 cyl
(a couple of BMWs in between)...always in the shop!
2018 Camry XLE 4 cyl
Everything including sound deadening(quiet) on the '18 feels cheap. The doors close with a tinny sound, the engine sounds "gruff" and ride quality if terrible. Of course his 2018 has 18" wheels with doesn't help. As far as mechanical, he is having NO ISSUES!

And though this newest Camry feels sporty, he didn't really want sporty, he wanted a Camry(old school).

MSRP - 2004 LE V6 = $22,260 (adjusted for inflation = $30,378 in 2020)
MSRP - 2020 LE = $24,970

2004 LE V6 = 18/27 MPG (this number has been revised from the "easier" EPA drive cycle, original sticker was 21/29 MPG))
2020 LE = 28/39 MPG

2004 LE V6 = 4-star NHTSA crash rating, with a 3 star for passenger side
2020 LE = 5-star NHTSA across the board, with 4 standard active safety features

Last edited:
I'm waiting this morning to hear about the safety inspection on the 05 Camry I checked out for my sister. We road tested it and it drove like new with 170k. Fingers crossed, it should be a good car.

If I were to have the choice of having either brand new right now,I'd take the 04 V6. I've always liked that body style with the spoiler.

My buddy & my BIL(mentioned above) each had 2004 Camry LE w/4 cyl and both put on ridiculous miles ~300K miles and the cars still ran and felt new-ish with little rust to speak of after 14 years of NY state salt.

Toyota does something with their raw metal(I'm not talking about undercoating) that other MFGs don't do. I wish I knew what it is that they do. Does anyone know?

My buddy & my BIL(mentioned above) each had 2004 Camry LE w/4 cyl and both put on ridiculous miles ~300K miles and the cars still ran and felt new-ish with little rust to speak of after 14 years of NY state salt.

Toyota does something with their raw metal(I'm not talking about undercoating) that other MFGs don't do. I wish I knew what it is that they do. Does anyone know?

I hope that's the case with this 05. It looked good but hard to see through the thick buildup of yearly undercoating.

Hmmm, could be hiding something. IDK what area you live in. Are you in the salt belt? If not, then not to worry unless there is structural damage due to an accident. But, I doubt that too.

Hmmm, could be hiding something. IDK what area you live in. Are you in the salt belt? If not, then not to worry unless there is structural damage due to an accident. But, I doubt that too.
Yes we're in Ontario. Lots of salt here. Just got word on safety.
For safety needs rear struts and sway bar links, 1 bulb, alignment. Overall very good shape.

Yaaah, BING-BING-BING, you're a winner! :)
My sister is the winner, but I was kind of pushing them towards this car as opposed to the 09 corolla which was $6500 + tax. This was $2500 plus safety/repairs, so still several thousand less. Also looks like the Corolla was built during the oil consumption years and the 05 was not.

Back