Interesting comment by USA Admiral Gilday about China

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
In this mornings edition (Friday 21 October 2022) of the Bangkok times, USN Admiral Gilday stated to the Atlantic Council " and what we have seen over the past 20 years is that they(China) have delivered on every promise they've made earlier than they said they were going to deliver on".

Fascinating comments about China's resolve to deliver on what they say they will do, and seem to do it ahead of schedule.

Please leave politics or any other not permitted dialog from this thread- thanks in advance.

We all have our opinions but if bad happens it won't be pretty. The taxpayers dollars isn't enough for close to a century of wars without profit and foreign spending.

I wonder if this is true?

Things are not looking as good for China long term. Their demographics are bad.
My informal thought is that industrial capacity is the center of gravity anytime adversaries have at it over the long haul.

The best modern day case study to understand today's warfare IMHO is the 2020 Nagorno-Karabakh war in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding territories. It was a major escalation of an unresolved conflict over the region, involving Azerbaijan, supported by Turkey and foreign mercenary groups, and Armenia, along with the breakaway Republic of Artsakh with an Armenian ethnic majority but internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan.

The war lasted for more than a month and resulted in Azerbaijani victory after ceasefire agreement signed with Armenia ceding territories surrounding Nagorno-Karabakh. The defeat in war ignited protests in Armenia calling for the resignation of government. Post-war skirmishes continued in the region, including substantial clashes in 2022.

Armenia spent decades preparing for this war, on its turf. Armenia had put in place a huge quantity of defensive fighting positions. None of it mattered, Azerbaijani crushed Armenia in under six weeks. Azerbaijan's strategy- technology will beat conventional fighting tactics. And Azerbaijani was right- very right.

I bought a tee shirt like this once while in HK. Agree, the Chicoms do what they say.

china.jpg

My informal thought is that industrial capacity is the center of gravity anytime adversaries have at it over the long haul.

The best modern day case study to understand today's warfare IMHO is the 2020 Nagorno-Karabakh war in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding territories. It was a major escalation of an unresolved conflict over the region, involving Azerbaijan, supported by Turkey and foreign mercenary groups, and Armenia, along with the breakaway Republic of Artsakh with an Armenian ethnic majority but internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan.

The war lasted for more than a month and resulted in Azerbaijani victory after ceasefire agreement signed with Armenia ceding territories surrounding Nagorno-Karabakh. The defeat in war ignited protests in Armenia calling for the resignation of government. Post-war skirmishes continued in the region, including substantial clashes in 2022.

Armenia spent decades preparing for this war, on its turf. Armenia had put in place a huge quantity of defensive fighting positions. None of it mattered, Azerbaijani crushed Armenia in under six weeks. Azerbaijan's strategy- technology will beat conventional fighting tactics. And Azerbaijani was right- very right.
That is a reason the U.S dominated the German and Japanese military during WWII.

Strategic elements....high tech parts....flexibility of production.....

It takes more than ever rising stock valuations to secure wealth, lifestyle and progress.

Read Halberstam's book, "The Reckoning" (it's a car book) for a representative slice of what we don't have anymore.

We here in the USA are still exceptionally innovative. There is a lot more to this subject than naval power, aircraft carriers or fighter jets/missiles.

But we outsource everything. Believe it or not, there are no camshaft blanks to be had right now. And that's not coming back. Battery power won't do the job, and by decree, engine production is grinding to a halt. Strange times we live in.

We here in the USA are still exceptionally innovative. There is a lot more to this subject than naval power, aircraft carriers or fighter jets/missiles.

But we outsource everything. Believe it or not, there are no camshaft blanks to be had right now. And that's not coming back. Battery power won't do the job, and by decree, engine production is grinding to a halt. Strange times we live in.

And being sadly dependent on others for important to us products will sadly could be out undoing as well.

Innovative means nothing with the basics to build with/on…….

China’s “might” is as fragile as old Soviets Union’s, maybe even more fragile. The difference is that old Soviet Union was an enemy and had no influence on Americas public opinion or economy. China on the other hand, has a lot of influence here from economic to social and legacy media. Even movies and sports cater to that regime.

The Navy could send their entire fleet of Littoral Combat Ships over there as a show of force.

However, they can only go as fast as 15 knots and the seas cannot be over 8 feet.
You've got the wrong ship, I've been on the bridge of one at Flank and those things will boogie....but that is about all they do well. You would want the D(V) equipped FLTII DDGs for that mission.

You've got the wrong ship, I've been on the bridge of one at Flank and those things will boogie....but that is about all they do well. You would want the D(V) equipped FLTII DDGs for that mission.

I’m thinking of the funny triangular shaped vessel. They recently put the restrictions on because the hulls are cracking.

Agree that a DDG would suffice.

We need war to get out of the current doodoo our economic system is in. Hence the vilification of Russia in the past 15 years and the vilification of China in the last 4 years.

Koenigsegg camshaft less engine for all finally!

an interesting read from 11 years ago…
“how the u.s. lost the naval war of 2015”

i’m a ww2 history bug. the usn’s experience in 1941-42 along the atlantic coast versus german u-boats and across the southern pacific versus japan, is sad and sobering reading. yeah we won, but our eventual victory was darn costly and resulted from an industrial base and national character that i cannot see today.

Back