interesting car!

Hi everybody! thanks for all your help and attention. inadvertently got a ride in a super car yesterday. my friend was staying at a fancy hotel in Boston, and we needed a ride to the train station. the hotel sent us, free of charge in a Mercedes S 550. Wow! like riding in a lear jet. tons of silent power! I know I will never ride in one again, but it was fun! http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/model/class-S/model-S550V now helping my son get a subaru outback this week! best bob

Yeah you get what you pay for with a merc, but I would buy a 2 year old one before I bought a new one just so I don't feel depressed about how my 95k car is worth 70k in 1 year...

Robertslowpoke

yes! 2009 S550 four matic for $58,000. in kelley blue book still a Ton of money, but 40,000 less than sticker!! wow!!!! as an aside, my good friend got a MINT Acura RL i think 2006 with 50,000 miles for $19,000. considerably less than $55,000 new. GREAT CAR

The S class is a nice car, but the S550 is only a taste of what a good S class is capable of. Go test drive an S600 or even better yet an S65 AMG, the power will take your breath away. Sadly in this country the roads are to slow, the S doesn't come into its own until you are above 100. 70 is just a slow idle.

Last edited:
I actually had one as a rental on a trip to Germany, I had reserved an Astra and all they had was an S-Klasse (what a shame!) Drove it on the Authbahn, which sounds great until you realize the speed limit is 120 km/h and there are speed cameras all over the place, so the highest I had it was 120km/h. Very cool car though, but not a drivers car at all. You are totally numb to the road. Everything is top quality though, the speedo turns into a nightvision camera, adaptive cruise, split LCD for the nav system allows the front passenger to watch a movie while the driver has the nav screen, lane departure system vibrates the steering wheel to warn you. The best part was having the heated and cooled seats on at the same time. Talk about being spoiled!

Robertslowpoke

Ha!! Hatteras guy!! 165,000 to $210,000 i would be terrified to even TEST DRIVE one!! sounds like fun, though!! what a beast!!!!

S65 AMG's start at $220k, and than you can send them to Brabus to make them even more special. But you can sort out all but the fastest cars around in a 3 ton super luxury sedan. IE have your cake and eat it too.
Why buy a Lambo when the 3 ton sedan can do it all, and message your butt while it does it? LOL. I have done over 170mph in a V12 powered S class and it didn't feel like a lot. One day I'll have to buy one that can break 200 and do it, but not for a bit. The Maybach is even more remarkable, and Brabus can get one to move pretty good.

Last edited:
Here is how you order a custom car from Mercedes. This video only scratched the surface. It didn't get into the Guard options or the really special things they do for good customers. Even to this day Mercedes will do some pretty wild options to good customers cars. Especially since AMG is around. They don't advertise it since they don't need to but AMG is still a custom tuning house, and will build whatever you want. The dealer order sheet needs only to be a starting point if your checkbook will allow. Have a color you just have to have? They will do it, even on a C class if you are well connected. I have seen a couple of custom colored factory cars.

Last edited:
I was fortunate to test drive a $30 million 1963 Ferrari 250 GTO about a month ago after doing brake work on it. I only drove it in the parking lot but, man, was I nervous driving it!