Interesting article to read about oil, I'd liketo hear some feedback on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
AudiJunkie, long winded article doesn't even begin to cover it, and I think you all have already pointed out enough errors that pretty much disproved any credibility to this article.

So much for the free lunch education here...

Let's over-complicate it and throw in all the myths we can think of in one article. I actually did not read it, but fell for all the jargon as meaning "something". The out-dated oils thing caught my eye, but even a novice BitOGer could dissect that guy a new orifice.

OK OK maybe I will say the whole thing is a crock....
smile.gif

We ametures can only disect this stuff because of all the shared information between members and the gracious contributions from our industry profesional members.
Perhaps some of us take more of an interest in this because it isn't what we do for a living. That means we are more likely to speak and think freely about subjects without worrying about an establishment.
cheers.gif

I'm a history teacher, not an engineer. And, I'm very old school and probably overly conservative with OCIs etc. Even I spotted some questionable stuff.
1. 2000 mile OCIs? This is patently untrue.
2. He seems to be implying that 3000 mile OCIs are necessary when using synthetic. Although I have yet to go 10000 miles on a synthetic oil change (and probably never will), I knew even before I found BITOG that synthetics could go beyond 3000 mile OCIs with the right filter.
3. He states that extra oil should not be added until the engine is down 1 quart or more. I fail to see how adding a half a quart if necessary is harmful, assuming the crankcase is not overfilled.
4. Most Americans drive exclusively in the city? This guy needs to see the USA in his Chevrolet. In fact, I was born and raised in Jersey and I can tell you that many, many people who lived in NYC didn't even own a car because of the expense. Look at a map and see that the majority of square mileage in the U.S. is still suburban or rural. The world is not one big traffic jam.
Anyway, this is the stuff I saw.

OK it seems like the dude is saying it takes about 5 mins for the oil pump to fully move the heated oil into the top of the engine? I find that very false! Just the other day I changed the oil in my other car (tempo with a 2.4L) and put in some 15w-40 oil that was setting out in the 30F temps. I turned the car on and shine the flash light in the valve covver and watch the 15w-40 being pump and drowning the valves with loads of cold thick oil! So if my old 2.4L can pump cold thick oil that fast then any car should and that should imply the engine get's lub from OIL a lot faster then 5 mins.

--Idoxash--

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back