Interesting Article on Police Fleet. Extended Drains, 5W-20, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by farrarfan1:
Just purchased my wife a 2004 Chrysler Concorde with the 2.7l dohc 24 valve engine. Instinct tells me this engine will be hard on oil so I went to google for research on Wal Mart Super Tech synthetic and ended up here.She only drives the car 6-7000 miles ayear so it falls under the 3month/ 3,000 mile oil change for warranty, thought I'd try synthetic. Anyway when I found this message I thought I'd throw in 2 cents worth. I'm a 25 year veteran of the Indiana State Police and am currently driving a 2001 CVPI that was issued to me in July 2001. Our commissions ( ISP word for patrol car) currently has 106,000 miles on it. New 2004 CVPI sitting at the garage in Indy waiting for final equiptment check before it's issued to me. Our cars are issued to us individually so one officer is the only one to drive the car and we can use them for personal off duty use. Oil changes are done at 5,000 miles using re-refined 5w30 oil and either Motorcraft oe Wix filters depending on which supplier has the bid.My car runs as good as the day I got it, and only uses 1/2 quart of oil between changes and this is always after the 4,000 mark. Probably the additives are going. We have very few engine failures that are caused by a lubricated part breaking. Most cars go well past 100,000 miles and are still running good. This is on a re-refined oil that is not the weight Ford recomends and it is also a longer drain interval than is recomended.Something to think about in the debate I've seen on here about the 5w20 oil Ford recomends. Previous POV that I traded on the Concorde was a Grand Marquis with 19,000 miles, all on Motorcraft 5W20. Not many miles but the car ran well on it. Any advice on oil for the 2.7l would be appreciated.

If it were mine I would treat it like one of the infamous Toyota Camry "Sludge Monster" engines as it has many of the same problems.

If you are going to dump the oil every 3 month 1500-2000 mi I would just use the cheapest SL rated Dino I could find and a SuperTech Filter.

I would change it every 6 months and not go over 4000 mi.

Havoline/Chevron 10W-30 ($1.10) for the warmest 6 months and 5W-30 ($1.02) for the coldest

Year round
Motorcraft 5W-30 ($1.42). Although it is not advertised as such it is now a Group II/III Hydrocracked/Synthetic Blend according to the back label. At this time the 10W-30 is still just Hydrocracked Group II.

A full synthetic is a waste of money for 6 month 3000-4000 mi drains. If you insist you can buy Mobil 1 10W-30 or 5W-30 ($19.77-5 QT)

If you are going to have WalMart do the oil change I would go with the 5W-30 Motorcraft as they are going to just charge you the $2.00 upcharge for bottled oil (Since it isnt marketed as a blend) and upgrade to the the SuperTech Filter (Champion built) $0.85 upcharge as most of the members of this site prefer it to the standard Fram.

If you are doing a self-change I would use a OEM Mopar filter until you can match it up with the supplier.

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by ZiTS:
The Police Interceptor is as fast as the fabled Chevy Caprice of the mid '90's.

No way! I've driven several of both and every Chevy I ever drove was faster than any Ford I have driven thus far. Top speed, the Chevy had the Ford by about 10 mph and acceleration was far and above better in the Chevy. Chevy's broke down more though.

quote:

Originally posted by SlimTacoma:

quote:

The Police Interceptor is as fast as the fabled Chevy Caprice of the mid '90's.

No way! I've driven several of both and every Chevy I ever drove was faster than any Ford I have driven thus far. Top speed, the Chevy had the Ford by about 10 mph and acceleration was far and above better in the Chevy. Chevy's broke down more though.

If memory serves:

The 1996 Caprice LT1 holds the record for the fastest 4-Door Sedan in the fabled Michigan State Police test. 150 MPH.

The Chevrolet Camaro holds the record for any Police Pursuit Car at 159 mph. They had a 161 mph limiter because even with a aluminum driveshaft it was not safe at speeds above this. Police doing pole vaults in your automobile at high speeds is bad for public relations

The Rumor is Dodge is working very hard on the Dodge Enforcer (Think stripped 300C with Magnum nose) and is setting their sites on the 150 mph record with the 340 bhp 5.7L Hemi.

Rumor is the Crown Vic will also get the 300 bhp 4.6L 24V V8 from the '05 Mustang in '06.

Gene

Rumor is since they redid the suspension you might be able to shoehorn a 5.4L into it too.

They aren't the fastest cars in the world, but they're nice. I've got a 98. It only has 215 hp stock (old heads).

The HPP package on civilian vics is very similar. Dual exhaust and all the other fun stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by darkdan:
Rumor is since they redid the suspension you might be able to shoehorn a 5.4L into it too.

Hmmm... I know in the past that would of required a domed hood due to the higher deck-height (the reason the Marauder is only a 4.6L). I would be nice to have the 349 bhp 24V 5.4L (I believe it is the same spec as the F150) used in the Australian Falcon XR8.

Gene

[ June 26, 2004, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

Sorry guys. Like it or not, the new Police Interceptor is equal to the Caprice. I don't recall if it was the MSP or LASD testing, but the '04 Ford has been proven. I'm not talking about civilian versions, nor am I talking about the police package Camaro, which is the top speed holder. I'm talking about the 2004 Police Interceptor and the mid 90's Caprice police package.

On another note, I can't wait to see if Dodge will be recommending the 5w-20 viscosity for their future police vehicle. Assuming it has the Hemi, and seeing as how they are recommending 5w-20 for the '05 Hemi's, that would make 2/3 rd's of the pursuit-capable police vehicle manufacturer's recommending 5w-20.

Z-

[ June 26, 2004, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: ZiTS ]

What is the usual top speed of a loaded down, with light bar, driver, etc police crown vic of say 2002 model year? How about a 1999? I'm just curious, as helping with law enforcement, a fairly new, at the time, 99 had trouble exceeding 117mph. It didn't have a light bar on the roof. Then what is so special about cadillac STS that with a 4.6L it will do 152mph? Isn't that a 4000lb car?

quote:

Sorry guys. Like it or not, the new Police Interceptor is equal to the Caprice. I don't recall if it was the MSP or LASD testing, but the '04 Ford has been proven. I'm not talking about civilian versions, nor am I talking about the police package Camaro, which is the top speed holder. I'm talking about the 2004 Police Interceptor and the mid 90's Caprice police package.

On another note, I can't wait to see if Dodge will be recommending the 5w-20 viscosity for their future police vehicle. Assuming it has the Hemi, and seeing as how they are recommending 5w-20 for the '05 Hemi's, that would make 2/3 rd's of the pursuit-capable police vehicle manufacturer's recommending 5w-20.

Z-

MSP Test

1. Road Course:
2004 Ford Interceptor 1.42
1996 Chevy Caprice NA (Different Course)

2. Braking 60-0 mph:
Ford Interceptor 150'
Chevy Caprice 144'

3. 0-60 mph
2004 Ford Interceptor (3.55) 8.25
Ford Interceptor (3.27) 8.44
Chevy Caprice 8.0

4. 0-100 mph
Ford Interceptor (3.55) 22.5
Ford Interceptor (3.27) 23.3
Chevy Caprice 21.0

5. 1/4 mile
Ford Inceptor (3.55) 16.3
Ford Interceptor (3.27) 16.4
Chevy Caprice 15.7

4. Top Speed
Ford (3.55) 123 mph
Ford (3.27) 128 mph
Chevy Caprice 150 mph

You were saying?

Gene

[ June 26, 2004, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:

4. Top Speed
Ford (3.55) 123 mph
Ford (3.27) 128 mph
Chevy Caprice 150 mph

You were saying?

Gene

If they get a Caprice going 150 mph in police trim, I hope they have good brakes for when they get to the bottom of the hill.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

4. Top Speed
Ford (3.55) 123 mph
Ford (3.27) 128 mph
Chevy Caprice 150 mph

You were saying?

Gene

If they get a Caprice going 150 mph in police trim, I hope they have good brakes for when they get to the bottom of the hill.

The test cars dont have a light-bar or spot light to slow them down. Believe it or not weight effects top speed very little, Its mostly just Drag Coefficient and frontal area.

They made a big deal out of the 150 mph because it finally dethroned the 149 mph 1969 Polara.

Brakes were a weak point until 1996 when they got the 4-Wheel Disc from the Impala SS.

Gene

[ June 26, 2004, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

Since someone brought it up, here is a short piece about the new Dodge Magnum Police Special:

Page Down To Second Section of This Article

-

John

Well, Gene K, I was saying, and still am saying, that the two are equal. Maybe it will help you if I take a quote directly from the same publication you mention concerning the 2004 MSP Patrol Car Evaluation:

"The 250 hp, 3.55-geared Ford CVPI (which stands for Crown Victoria Police Interceptor) is now comparable to the LT-1 Caprice in terms of acceleration. The CVPI is also the fastest of any 2004 police vehicle to 60 mph, to 80 mph, and to 100 mph."

It's right there on page 61 if you still don't believe me. But wait! There's more...

"For the 1999 model year evaluation, the MSP changed the brake test warm-up protocol. Instead of four 90 mph stops followed by the 60 mph stop for score, the MSP now does two 90 mph stops and six 60 mph stops for score. Since this change, the Ford CVPI has stopped in an average of 142 feet."

Yes, the '04 CVPI's stopped in 149.6 feet and 150.4 feet (different gear ratios). But this change in the braking test since 1999, not to mention the AVERAGE DISTANCE OF 142 FEET, makes your comparison to the 144 feet for the Caprice invalid, just like you said the road course was.

Regardless, all I originally said that apparently offended you so bad was that the 2004 CVPI and LT-1 Caprice are equivalent - as far as acceleration goes. I never said one was better than the other, only that they are comparable. I didn't even mention the braking part of the test which you brought up. Maybe next time you won't be so quick to attack.
nono.gif

Now, can we get back to the main reason for this forum...oil?

DSteven, I know for a fact that a fully loaded and equipped 2003 CVPI will do 118 mph.
wink.gif

[ June 27, 2004, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: ZiTS ]

quote:

Ford Engineers suggest the use of 5W-20 in the 4.6L OHC V-8 Police Interceptor with a 3000 mi OCI. This results in optimum fuel economy and durability.

Bulk dino 5w30 quickly shears to the "5w20" like viscosities and doesn't even have to meet Ford's 5w20 double Sequence IIIE test spec. How is this an extraordinary recommendation?

Gene-thanks for the response. I did a little research and it seems like it's the pre-2001 2.7L motors that had sludging problems, at least according to a couple sites. Have 4 friends with cars that have this motor no problems. Looks like the Motorcraft 5w30 is a good oil at a really good price. Walmart has 5 quart jugs of Mobil1 for 19.82. Super Tech synthetic is 11.82 for 5 quart jug. That's about 2.35 a quart which is about what most name brand synthetic blends sell for. I was looking at the cost of around 14 dollars with the st filter and st oil. I would prefer a longer drain interval but the warranty requirements are 3months/ 3,000 miles whichever comes first and with my luck I figured I's try to follow their requirements at least while under warranty. I can live with 14 bucks or so every 3 months since I change it myself but will definetly consider the Motorcraft 5w30. Thanks again for the advice Great site. I've learned more in the last couple days reading this that I thought possible. I've alwaays compared my pov with the maintenace on the CVPI's I've had.Figured what works on them should work on my pov's but I guess there's a lot more to it than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back