Interesting Article on Engine Oil Sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry - I forgot to mention you need to scroll down and click on the article "Engine Oil Sludge". It's under RECENT TOP SEARCHES.

Z-

The WTDN article was a poor one--as you might expect from a layman reporter. It makes the assumption that all newer engines have sludging problems, and then recommends 3000 to 5000 mile changes for all of them.

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
The WTDN article was a poor one--as you might expect from a layman reporter. It makes the assumption that all newer engines have sludging problems, and then recommends 3000 to 5000 mile changes for all of them.

However, he isn't a "layman reporter" just for WDTN - he is a veteran 2-time Emmy Award winning reporter whose column appears in at least seven major cities across the country.

The impression I got from reading the article is that there are a large number of mechanics who do not believe in extended drain intervals. You (collectively) and I may know about the problem with VW & Toyota sludging problems, but any one of the remaining 95% of the population that reads this article will simply have the "3,000 mile OCI" legacy solidified that much more.

Though I don't think the article was poorly written, I do think it should have gone a little more in depth into the causes of the sludging problems (i.e., Toyota's engines). It doesn't account for driving habits, type of oil/filter used, etc. It simply scratched the surface of a bunch of underlying problems.

Z-

If it is true about the milky choclate shake looking stuff under the oil filler, this is a worth while article. Anyone know if this mechanic is right on or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back