Interesting advice from dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to share something I heard at a Jeep dealer earlier today, thought you guys might get a kick out of it -

I went with my dad to pick up his 2021 Grand Cherokee and while we were there the salesman was talking about 20k mile OCIs as a "feature" of these cars. We questioned him and he kept insisting that they use "full synthetic" (probably just Pennzoil platinum?) and the Pentastar engines are easy on oil. Really seems like terrible advice, especially considering lots of people wouldn't question it.

Remind your loved ones to change their oil often!

Alex

So refer him to the owners manual which clearly states to the contrary. Or smile and keep on walking.

Your choice.
The owner's manual ( I just looked) clearly supports the salesman.

20,000 miles.

2 years.

32,000 KM.

That's the recommended oil change interval.

Further: "We recommend you use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Mopar, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade."

20,000 miles.

2 years.

32,000 KM.

Further: "We recommend you use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Mopar, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade."

@Astro14 check page 329 of the link you provided. It plainly states to never exceed 10,000 mile OCIs.
Please cite the page that states 20,000.
Thanks!

Screenshot_20211202-203843_Drive.jpg

Last edited:

20,000 miles.

2 years.

32,000 KM.

1638498901919.jpg

I'm seeing that under no circumstance shall it ever exceed 10000miles

Well, I was looking at "Servicing and maintenance" page 331.

Take a look at the chart.

I think I was reading the chart as oil change intervals, but the verbiage says,

"At Every Oil Change Interval As Indicated By Oil Change Indicator System:Change oil and filter.Rotate the tires.

NOTE:Rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before the oil indicator system turns on.Inspect battery and clean and tighten terminals as required.Inspect the CV/Universal joints.Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, hoses and parking brake.Inspect engine cooling system protection and hoses.Inspect exhaust system.Inspect engine air cleaner filter if using in dusty or off-road conditions. Replace the engine air cleaner filter, if necessary."

So, it's got a 20,000 mile service interval.

But it's got an OLM.

And it says follow the OLM.

Interesting.

I was clearly mis-reading that chart.

Perhaps the salesman made the same mistake. "Service interval" in this case has little to do with oil change...

And no, for the record, I wouldn't run a GC for 20,000 miles on any oil.

Well, I was looking at "Servicing and maintenance" page 331.

Take a look at the chart.

I think I was reading the chart as oil change intervals, but the verbiage says,

"At Every Oil Change Interval As Indicated By Oil Change Indicator System:Change oil and filter.Rotate the tires.

NOTE:Rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before the oil indicator system turns on.Inspect battery and clean and tighten terminals as required.Inspect the CV/Universal joints.Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, hoses and parking brake.Inspect engine cooling system protection and hoses.Inspect exhaust system.Inspect engine air cleaner filter if using in dusty or off-road conditions. Replace the engine air cleaner filter, if necessary."

So, it's got a 20,000 mile service interval.

But it's got an OLM.

And it says follow the OLM.

Interesting.

I was clearly mis-reading that chart.

Perhaps the salesman made the same mistake. "Service interval" in this case has little to do with oil change...

And no, for the record, I wouldn't run a GC for 20,000 miles on any oil.
Good point, thanks for the extra info!

I figured the dealerships would insist on 3/3K to get them in as often as possible to spend money.
Most dealerships in my area lose money on oil changes as they’re trying to be cost competitive with Walmart’s pit crew oil change.

It’s the repairs at $125/hr and parts mark up that are the money makers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back