Interested Popular Mechanics Article on oil..

Status
Not open for further replies.
A really sketchy article.

I found these error:
a) Omitted the new diesel lube service category CI-4
b) Wrong about W rated oils being tested at 0°F
c) Implies that 10W-40 is superior to 10W-30

quote:

Originally posted by Ken:
A really sketchy article.

I found these error:
a) Omitted the new diesel lube service category CI-4
b) Wrong about W rated oils being tested at 0°F

Clicked the wrong button again...wish we could edit.

d) Makes synthetic blends sound like a good bargain
e) Are all these claims true for high-mileage-vehicle oils?...sure are great goals.
d) Confuses the descriptions of Group III and Group IV synthetics
f) Probably more....

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Ken:

I'll have to disagree on this one. I don't think they were implying that at all. Here's a snippet:

Viscosity (a fluid's resistance to flow) is rated at 0° F (represented by the number preceding the "W" [for Winter]) and at 212° F (represented by the second number in the viscosity designation). So 10W-30 oil has less viscosity when cold and hot than does 20W-50. Motor oil thins as it heats and thickens as it cools. So, with the right additives to help it resist thinning too much, an oil can be rated for one viscosity when cold, another when hot. The more resistant it is to thinning, the higher the second number (10W-40 versus 10W-30, for example) and that's good. Within reason, thicker oil generally seals better and maintains a better film of lubrication between moving parts....

...Once the engine is running, the oil heats up. The second number in the viscosity rating--the "40" in 10W-40, for example--tells you that the oil will stay thicker at high temperatures than one with a lower second number--the "30" in 10W-30, for example. What's really important is that you use the oil viscosity your car's owner's manual recommends.

The one thing they were very careful on was the definition of Full Synthetic:

The so-called full synthetics contain chemicals that may be derived from petroleum but they're altered so much that they're not considered natural oil anymore.

...yeah, okay
rolleyes.gif

Oz

In the Article they wrote this on Synthetics;

( In fact, there may be some features that your car's engine needs that the synthetics don't have.)

Now whats that about
tongue.gif

Seems they missed a chance to have written a GREAT article...sorta like they tried but couldn't...My favorite about synthetics:

"If these oils pass stringent special tests (indicated by their labeling), it means they have superior, longer-lasting performance in all the critical areas...."

Hmmm.....
twak.gif

quote:

The so-called full synthetics contain chemicals that may be derived from petroleum but they're altered so much that they're not considered natural oil anymore.

i think even group IV and V oils are derived from gaseous byproducts of oil refining.

I liked the fact that they recommended a 4000 mile/4month interval on dino oil, at least they are taking a step in the right direction and away from the 3k interval.

Those pop up ads were driving me nuts though, that Monster Garage one kept coming back up!
mad.gif

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
In the Article they wrote this on Synthetics;

( In fact, there may be some features that your car's engine needs that the synthetics don't have.)

Now whats that about
tongue.gif

I wondered about that too.
confused.gif

All in all I'd give the article a D+
grin.gif

But thanks for posting it dagmando. It gave us some entertainment.
grin.gif

Quote: ( In fact, there may be some features that your car's engine needs that the synthetics don't have.)

Now whats that about?

Mazda rotary engines cannot use synthetic oils. Maybe this is what they were referring to. Poor explanation though.

Well, this may be ancient history, but the owners manual for my '82 model with the 12A engine prohibited the use of synthetic oil. This is also true of my nephew's '86 13B engine as well.

This has to do with the possible deposit buildup because the engines burn oil. Maybe not all synthetics do this, but appearently enough of them do (or did) for Mazda to prohibit them (in the '80's at least.) Today's synthetic may be an entirely different matter.

There is an explanation of this on the Mazdatrix website. Whether they are spreading a rumors about synthetics or not is up for discussion. Here's the link http://www.mazdatrix.com/faq/synthetc.htm

I can attest to Mazda Rotary RX-7s( ProSportsCar-IMSA) using high quality all synthetic Redline ,Royal Purple, NEO and other brands because when I raced against them they "always" passed me doing about 170 mph in the straight a ways and they were not not smoking,but man they were loud! And they were boost limited.

The old 12A and 13B engines when stock injected crankcsae oil into the intake manifold at a variable rate by use of a pump and cable connected to the carb,the further the throttle was opened the more oil was pumped into the intake.

The modded engines I have seen for racing eliminates this and mixes a little two stroke oil into the gas tank.

I have not seen the new RX8 engine but could only imagine it might be a emmissions componet nightmare for the Mazda Techs

Terry's right,those racers are LOUD
smile.gif

2 Questions ...

What Vehicle Owners Manuals state...

"NO SYNTHETICS"?
dunno.gif

That being asked ... what is the TRUTH ...

WHAT ENGINES CAN NOT/SHOULD NOT USE SYNTHETICS?
dunno.gif

As a continuation of the above 2 questions ... I have another Question: (My bro-in-law is a Dodge Dealer)...

I just read in a 2004 PT Cruiser manual that the use of synthetic oils is acceptable. This information conflicts with a service bulletin I read serveral months ago which stated use of synthetic oil is NOT recommended in Chrysler engines. Comments?

quote:

Originally posted by red2rebel:
2 Questions ...

What Vehicle Owners Manuals state...

"NO SYNTHETICS"?
dunno.gif

That being asked ... what is the TRUTH ...

WHAT ENGINES CAN NOT/SHOULD NOT USE SYNTHETICS?
dunno.gif

I was hoping for a quick answer since I will be seeing my Bro-in-Law that owns the Dodge Dealership over the July 4th Weekend.

Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by red2rebel:
I just read in a 2004 PT Cruiser manual that the use of synthetic oils is acceptable. This information conflicts with a service bulletin I read serveral months ago which stated use of synthetic oil is NOT recommended in Chrysler engines. Comments?

I guess that's why Mobil 1 10w30 has ALWAYS been the factory fill oil in Dodge Vipers.
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back