Intercomp 4" Tire Pressure Gauge Adjustability / Repair

I have an Intercomp 4" 0-6 Tire gauge (360060 i believe)

I recently noticed it is starting at 7psi. There are some youtube videos on adjusting pressure gauges but it does not have a screw near the needle.

I called Intercomp and asked if it was adjustable or repairable and got a NO, but al so a lot of hemming and hawing before hand so confidence in the answer is low.

Anyone tried to dissemble and repair one then tested against several others?

Dispaonting for a ~$60.00 gauge...

You remove the front of the gauge, pull the needle, replace the needle in the appropriate place. This is a lot easier if you have a needle puller. This is a Bourdon tube type gauge so there are other adjustments available behind the dial. Without an adjustable pressure source it is very difficult to adjust properly. A good calibration lab could adjust it, but it would not be much cheaper than buying a new one. For the amature resetting the needle is the best bet. I would reset it at your normal tire pressure.

As redbone3 said, pull the needle, replace the needle in the appropriate place. This is a lot easier if you have a needle puller.
The 'needle' would be called the 'hand'.
The 'front of the gauge' would be called the 'crystal'. Yes, even a cheap piece of plastic.
I've repaired hundreds of Dial Indicators and the way we removed the 'hand' was to use two small screw-drivers.
One on each side of 'hand' (at center of dial) and gently pry off. Worked every time.
Check for linearity and repeatability.

What made the 'hand' move off position?
Now that I think of it, the gauge may have taken a shock that would miss-align the gears inside.
If this is the problem and you can not open the back up (to work on inside), then it would be unrepairable.

Just my 2 cents.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen ... I will give it a try tomorrow... since is basically junk anyway i guess i have nothing to lose by trying and checking it against 3 milton pencil gauges and an accutire electronic.

As for why - excellent question - and one i do not have an answer for it was in the back of the Escape in the side pocket and had the shock protector on it...

If its toast i guess i'm shopping for a replacement - probably longacre this time around ...

I recently bought a Dial Type gauge to use as a backup to my digital.

Check out Jaco, they make a good product.

This is the one I bought (as a backup)

So prior to moving the needle it was reading 5 -6 lbs high based 3 Milton USA pencil gauges. I cannot find my electronic - i will not attempt to explain how one loses what looks like a slightly oversized red 9v battery but it happens.

I moved the needle back to the resting post - this was pretty easy using 2 small pry bars - popped right off - pushed back on easily and is now within approximately .5 lbs (less than a graduation) of the 3 milton gauges which are all exactly the same.

Second problem discovered - it no longer holds a reading. The release button appears to be only a release so the hold mechanism must be built into the gauge.

I guess I won't throw it away - but I don't really trust it.

Thanks for the Jaco link. I want to pick up a nice gauge but gotta decide which one... Intercomp is out it needs to fit around saddlebags, fenders and spokes for the bike and id prefer USA made... I may have to give up USA made, though the O'Reily guy can get a Milton dial gauge and I'm pretty sure those are USA.

Not being able to hold the reading would make it useless to me.

I was going to suggest the following Longacre until I seen the price. In 2015 I paid $38.99 for it but I really like it.

So prior to moving the needle it was reading 5 -6 lbs high based 3 Milton USA pencil gauges. I cannot find my electronic - i will not attempt to explain how one loses what looks like a slightly oversized red 9v battery but it happens.

I moved the needle back to the resting post - this was pretty easy using 2 small pry bars - popped right off - pushed back on easily and is now within approximately .5 lbs (less than a graduation) of the 3 milton gauges which are all exactly the same.

Second problem discovered - it no longer holds a reading. The release button appears to be only a release so the hold mechanism must be built into the gauge.

I guess I won't throw it away - but I don't really trust it.

Thanks for the Jaco link. I want to pick up a nice gauge but gotta decide which one... Intercomp is out it needs to fit around saddlebags, fenders and spokes for the bike and id prefer USA made... I may have to give up USA made, though the O'Reily guy can get a Milton dial gauge and I'm pretty sure those are USA.
Can you open it again and see what messed up with the hold/release?

if it’s reading consistently with your others, it’s probably good enough. Consistency and being in the ballpark is more important than the exact number.

Can you open it again and see what messed up with the hold/release?

Perhaps - i wasn't able to immediately figure out how the back comes off of it when i had it apart, the 3 torx screws near the base in an L pattern is my guess...

Most of my tools that aren't remodeling type tools are not here so i probably do not have a bit to fit them here (neither of the common construction screw bits fit) ... maybe one day i'll have a look.

Back