Integra Oil Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got a 1999 Acura Integra with about 72,000 miles on eBay and here is the link to it:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4554420829&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
It used to be a personal lease car
What is a good oil to run and what weight?

Thanks

PS: I am considering running Auto-RX and then FP and some LC are those good to maintain the car?

5W-30 or 10W-30 should fit the bill quite nicely. If the motor in this car has been maintained, that is probably the last thing you will have to worry about.

I get any oil that’s on sale which is usually Chevron 10W or 5W-30...also, you can't go wrong with M1! I do 4-6k change intervals depending on my driving habits.
1990 Integra 163k....same B18 engine

Is it a VTEC? I have a 98' GS-R that the manual recommends 5W-30 only. Not sure for non-VTEC engines. Reading the posts here it seems that there is a feeling that Honda engines like moly so Havoline and likely Chevron would be a good choice. Castrol GTX, Pennzoil, Valvoline also but less moly. M1 if you want synthetics that is easily available.

ARX then LC would be a good idea esp if you plan on keeping the car. I have been extremely please with using FP in my cars. Running ARX in my 90' integra and also pleased with the results.

With only 72,000 miles switch to synthetic oil like Mobil 1 and forget about AutoRx.

BTW, i saw the pics of your car on Ebay and your car looks great.
smile.gif

Have been running M1 on 7.5 to 12k interval depends on how many miles I put on during the time. Ran 2 UOA, one at 8.1k and the other 12k and both do way better than average. Driving condition is all highway.

To be honest as long as it wasn't beat on, compression and leak down test is good, then any Xw30 should work for 5k interval, it is a very good engine that many has gotten to almost 300k, just keep up the maintanence and it will last a long time.

That Integra is an LS, not a GS-R, so no VTEC. In addition, it's not the same engine as a '90 Integra. A '90 Integra has the b18a engine (130 HP/121 ft-lbs), while a '99 Integra LS has the b18b1 engine (142 HP/128 ft-lbs).

In any case, I ran Castrol GTX 5W-30 for the first 100k that I owned my GS-R and didn't have any oil-related engine problems. Since then, I started doing my own oil changes... I still use 5W-30, but use whatever is on sale (e.g. Havoline, Chevron, Quaker State, Mobil DC).

I have a 97 Integra LS which I bought used from a friend at 60k miles. I used Mobil 1 5w-30 and 10w-30 at 7500 mile intervals and it never burn a drop in 7500 miles. It is my GF's commute car which she drives 100 miles a day. It now has 120k miles.

I might do what you guys said: Run a 5W-30 Mobil 1 and forget ARX since it only has 71,000 miles. I could use some FP to help out the car a bit right? If I use FP should I get some LC for the engine also?

Thanks for the comments about the car. It was a lease car and he has all the service records. Oil was changed at Acura dealer every 3-4k miles which doesnt seem bad.

Let me know anything else

I wouldn't even bother with FP and LC in this car. It is bascially indestructable. Just go ahead and use Mobil 1 5w-30 (EP better) and change it every 7500 miles if you drive a lot, or 5000 miles if you drive in severe conditions.

My only suggestion is do 3 ATF drain/fill in a row with Honda ATF-Z1. Then change it every 15k miles.

Also change the timing belt and 3 drive belts and the water pump if it has been 7 years and has never been changed.

This car is so good it will last forever.

The Mobil Extended Performance can go 7500 city driving OK?

I hear these trannys clunk alot and I was worried about the tranny. I might just take it to Honda/Acura to get it done because I am afraid to touch trannys after my dads Corolla got worse after the change.

The timing belt I think is original and don't they say only to change at 100,000 miles?

thanks

we have had excellent results with castrol GTX 5w-30. Trying M1 5w-30 now (API SM), and well see...

JMH

Any Mobil 1 will easily last 7500 miles. I have gone 11,500 miles with M1 in my wife's Civic.
smile.gif

offtopic.gif

I notice you live in NY and bought the car from FL on Ebay. I was wondering did you buy the car without a test drive.....or did you come to FL , inspect the Integra and then bid on Ebay & won the auction. How did you know that you were not buying a Lemon if you are 900 miles away ?? Thanks.
cool.gif

Well number one is that I know the seller, he has very good feedback service records carfaxed it and it is fine. I have bought cars from him before.

EZhauling is on its way now and if it was a lemon im protected by SquareTrade and a buncha other things.

I guess I will run MOBIL 1 EP for 7500 bucks

Thanks

It's my understanding that a "lighter" synthetic oil like mobil 1 does very well with honda 4-cyl's. You could probablly run M1, or M1 EP for extended interval. No UOA would be required if you did a change like 7500. Good luck.

I have bought a car from ebay early last year. Having paid more than 10K for the car stated as excellent conditions and did look really nice in the pictures. Got bad tires; repainted right side what I believe caused by an accident but did not show up on carfax report; corrosive battery department; several scratches on the leather seat which the seller stated as perfect and many of other things. The seller got almost 100% positive feedback out of more than 30 car sales(just wonder how could that be). Very disappointed for that experience. The SquareTrade is useless POS if something goes wrong. And ebay's representatives always trying to protect the seller by saying the dishonest is not severe enough, they only take care of dishonest of more than 50% of sales value or something like that effect I don't remember right now. But one thing is for sure, I will never ever buy anything from ebay anymore that worth more than $100. Buy things from ebay is more like gambling. Buyer beware!

Yeah but I actually personally KNOW the seller. Its not some random guy who had good feedback and I just said "hey I will buy it" I actually know the seller and been to his dealership not for this car but he is a well know friend. Thanks but I just came here for an oil reccomendation.

Thanks

I mentioned that because LT4 Vette has asked question. Having been Seeing too much victims from ebay sales, I am giving my deepest sympathy to them cause I once to be a victim too. Never ever believe in POS carfax and SquareTrade, only yourself. Good luck on your deal and let's talk about oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back