InTech 5.4 32V engine- low oil light came on at high speed, think a bearing may have spun?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I recently acquired a 2004 Lincoln Navigator with the 5.4L Intech 32v engine, 141k miles. The engine was having a misfire (0306) on cylinder six, and P0171 on bank one.

I changed the spark plug and the COP on cylinder six, but still had the misfire. I replaced the PCV and related hoses, and the P0171 appeared to go away. Misfire still remained, but would take a while to show up on the scanner. The SUV idled poorly, but seemed to run fine at highway speeds. At 4am this morning, I went to inspect all the vacuum lines with a flashlight. I discovered the what I believe the crankcase breather hose the goes from the engine to the air filter was not connected. It appears the hose was off for an extended amount of time. Leaving a opening to the engine. No oil or any debris was showing aroung the opening, just a lot of dust and dirt.

After connecting the crankcase breather hose, I decided to go on an early interstate test run. About 15 miles into the run, at a high speed, the low oil pressure light came on. I was unable to pull off the interstate, and slowed down and made it to an exit ramp. On the exit ramp the engine made the sound of metal on metal. I pulled over, and checked the oil. It looked overfilled. I checked coolant level, no change in its level. I had my scanner, no misfire on cylinder six. no P0171. But had a new code, which I cant remember but it was something about to much fuel getting to a oxygen sensor.

Called a tow truck, and had the truck dropped off at a local shop, and I took a uber home (I have no driveway).

I suspect the engine had a catastrophic internal failure. The engine will turn over, but not easily. It will try to start but does not.

On a side note, I am aware of the same engine in a 2004 with 120k miles available for $450, but I have to pull the engine and the SUV is smashed and in a field.

Probably did but that's all pretty odd. I'd pull that engine out and hope for the best, how long has it been in the field.

of course gotta what oil brand + viscosity were you using! sorry for your bad luck but modern vehicles are surely a "crap shoot"

Something internal was failing, and maybe something was added to raise viscosity & mask the noise to some extent? Without a teardown there's no way to be sure, but it sure sounds like something important broke-and may have been on it's way out beforehand. An unfortunately common auction experience...

Sorry for your loss. My kid is driving a Navigator with the 5.4, but his is a 2V. About six months ago, I was at a salvage yard that had a cheap 32V 5.4 that had been involved in an accident and they were selling the whole vehicle pretty cheap. I thought about it a day or two and when I went back, it was gone.

of course gotta what oil brand + viscosity were you using! sorry for your bad luck but modern vehicles are surely a "crap shoot"
Shell RGT, 5w20. Less than 500 miles on the oil. I think the last owner may have never changed the oil.....

Something internal was failing, and maybe something was added to raise viscosity & mask the noise to some extent? Without a teardown there's no way to be sure, but it sure sounds like something important broke-and may have been on it's way out beforehand. An unfortunately common auction experience...
I don't have any idea of that happened. The prior owners did zero maintenance, so I suspect if something was wrong they didn't know it.

Funny, did some searched and found two other Navigator owners with the same experience. My gut tells me these 5.4 32V engines need good oil, and changed regularly.

I don't have any idea of that happened. The prior owners did zero maintenance, so I suspect if something was wrong they didn't know it.

Funny, did some searched and found two other Navigator owners with the same experience. My gut tells me these 5.4 32V engines need good oil, and changed regularly.
Timing chain guide may have come apart. When they start to go it can put the camshafts out of phase, which can set misfire codes. If they completely fail, timing can jump and bad sounds will happen.

If that is the case the oil pickup might be plugged.
Thanks... I think I went traveled too far trying to get off the interstate with the engine having this condition.

I went to the shop (70 miles away) the tow truck driver took the Navigator, to drop off the key. I decided to see if she would turn over. She did, and started, but was misfiring real bad. I shut her off, and drove home :(.

I am moving 3,000 miles in 60 days. If I was staying local, I would look to replace the engine. The SUV has zero rust or corrosion anywhere, I just rebuilt the entire suspension, reconstructed the interior. This Navigator is in really good condition, but I also understand it is 18 years old.

Probably did but that's all pretty odd. I'd pull that engine out and hope for the best, how long has it been in the field.
It has been in the field for about one year- I ran a carfax to get its mileage. 120k, two owners. The interior of the smashed up Navigator was exceptionally clean.

Timing chain guide may have come apart. When they start to go it can put the camshafts out of phase, which can set misfire codes. If they completely fail, timing can jump and bad sounds will happen.
I was going at a very high speed, trying to get techron flowing fast through the fuel injectors. She failed at a very high speed.

Maybe this was meant to be. Better fail like this than failing in Wyoming on I80 towing a loaded enclosed trailer.

I was going at a very high speed, trying to get techron flowing fast through the fuel injectors. She failed at a very high speed.

Maybe this was meant to be. Better fail like this than failing in Wyoming on I80 towing a loaded enclosed trailer.
Understood. I am not sure if these are an interference design or not, but if valves kissed pistons, she's done. If not, it may be salvageable, assuming it was just guides and a chain that jumped.

Understood. I am not sure if these are an interference design or not, but if valves kissed pistons, she's done. If not, it may be salvageable, assuming it was just guides and a chain that jumped.
My gut is she is done:(.

I like the idea of pulling the donor engine in the field, and prepping the engine and replacing this likely blown engine. My issue is time and location. The blown engine is at a crazy run pull a part 160 miles away. They are closed weekends, they don't put the vehicle on welded rim stands, nothing.

I’m really leaning towards timing on this one. i doubt it’s an interference engine, and I doubt the bottom end is bad. It would have been making noises you’d notice on 5-20. I’ve had a stretched timing belt throw odd misfire codes and occasional burps at idle. It was only half through its lifespan but was stretched pretty good. New belt at 30k when the water pump went around 90k total and she was as right as rain after that.

we don’t know, however, if your oil pump is toast. the filter is past it, so any debris in the oil would have been munched through it.

NOT a bargain after all....there is a reason why these things end up at auction. Sometimes being frugal when you can afford better is a waste of time.

I’m really leaning towards timing on this one. i doubt it’s an interference engine, and I doubt the bottom end is bad. It would have been making noises you’d notice on 5-20. I’ve had a stretched timing belt throw odd misfire codes and occasional burps at idle. It was only half through its lifespan but was stretched pretty good. New belt at 30k when the water pump went around 90k total and she was as right as rain after that.

we don’t know, however, if your oil pump is toast. the filter is past it, so any debris in the oil would have been munched through it.

I would think the Intech 32V engine is Interference.

Back