Intake Manifold Cleaning 135 bucks 07 Marquis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister took her car to Pompano Ford on US-1 for a oil change this morning and they insisted on her doing the Intake Maniflold cleaning for 135 bucks..They told her she is ruinning the car driving it without cleaning the mainfold.

She called me up in a panic I said do not do it..The car [07] 4.6 Mercury Grand Marquis with 40K miles and she runs only Chevron gas..The car is running just fine...Even though the car is a short tripper [for the most part] I really do not think that it is necessary.

Then they offered to change out the brake fluid,p/s fluid and clean the mainifold for almost 400 bucks..I told her to get out of there.

I know they have to upsell to keep their job so this is not surprising..I never had a Maniflod cleaning on any of my cars..Even the ones with 300K miles.

How would you really know you need a Manifold Cleaning?

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
How would you really know you need a Manifold Cleaning?

Unless they pulled it to take a look, no idea...

If she had a check engine light related to some kind of variable intake runner system, maybe.

I have a Windstar that did genuinely need the intake manifold cleaned - PCV valve / valve cover problem caused 2 quarts of oil to be sucked through the intake during an OCI, so the manifold was coated with nasty sludge.

A '07 MGM has a std intake, no variable runners etc(I have one with 53K)...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Sounds like a wallet cleaning...

Agreed... I've owned five 4.6 Fords, not one has ever needed the intake cleaned...

I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles in P71 crown vics with nary a manifold cleaning. I can say that transmission service with MERCONV and differential service with 75w-140 syn (if you are working it hard) are way more important.

Its basically a Seafoam treatment. They do a drip into a vacuum line. Lube techs love doing it to make a show and they get little stickers they can trade into the snake oil salesman for beer money.

Sounds like that dealership is hurting for businesses. A lot of people avoid the dealership and find an indy shop. I'm sure all 3 of her muffler bearings also needed to be greased and adjusted (sarcastic chuckle).

In 1990 I bought my 5.0 Mustang from that dealership.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Sounds like that dealership is hurting for businesses. A lot of people avoid the dealership and find an indy shop. I'm sure all 3 of her muffler bearings also needed to be greased and adjusted (sarcastic chuckle).

I just LOL'd!
thumbsup2.gif

Don't forget the blinker fluid
smile.gif

My Taurus throttle body was filthy after short trips and non top tier fuel for several years.

After cleaning it up, I did back to back treatments using Techron Concentrate and then Gumout to take care of everything else.

Brake fluid is worth doing every few years. Ford don't specify it in their maintenance schedule and I was never upsold it even after a brake inspection, even though it was the real reason behind my brake complaints.

Sears will do the brake fluid exchange for $40. Worth it so you don't have to handle the stuff, so long as you trust them to use a fresh bottle and bleed it correctly and long enough.

PSF you can do yourself with a $5 bottle of Mercon V and a turkey baster. Once every week for 3 weeks will get you to 90% new fluid and one bottle.

And throw in a bottle of Techron or use half a bottle of All In One Complete in two back to back fuel tanks to take care of any deposit issues from short trips. And continue to drive those short trips as that is actually the best way of cleaning those deposits.

Thanks everyone..I had her read what everyone said and she feels a lot better..They made her a nervous wreck.

The issue with indpendents down here is the help constantly changes..After you find a real good independent the really good worker takes off after a short [or even long] period of time..The shop owner is always too busy in the office to go out on the floor to do anything [cause he is always short-handed] so you end up being at the mercy of the newbie..Most of the really good independents go out of business..Most also have very limited hours.

I have been dealing with Gus Machado Ford on US-1 in Miami and so far they been awesome..The problem is it too far away for my sister to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back