Insurance totaled car over catalytic converter theft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I trying to work out why anyone would claim this on their insurance. Just have a new cat welded in at any exhaust shop, doesn't have to be OEM....it's a 2002. So you have full coverage on a 20 year old car?
Comprehensive coverage is dirt cheap to carry on most cars. Well under $100/yr.

In states with CA emissions the CAT often has to be OEM. And even when it doesn’t, the aftermarket’s are usually not efficient enough to keep the P0420 away.

In states with CA emissions the CAT often has to be OEM. And even when it doesn’t, the aftermarket’s are usually not efficient enough to keep the P0420 away.
It has to be a certified California compliant but not necessarily OEM.

After 10 years it doesn't have to be I believe. I'm talking OEM equivalent here.

There is no such exemption in CA.
Is the OP even in CA? This is just mind blowing to me - I had the cats changed on 2 of my vehicles and I don't recall this being more than a $500 repair for parts/labor.

First-hand experience with an ebay cat, they work well enough to keep the OBD happy.
yup I have one on the Project Civic car, couldn't see myself trying to pay $1200 for Honda's! Even if you could find a dealer who still had one. Plus thought I'd try a no-name from China since Honda never fixed the iron casting exhaust manifold issue (where it splits open at the o2 sensor) and turns out the no-name is actually the correct thickness! It's an all-in-one exhaust manifold + catalytic on the Project civic.. so far I've had it a year and still working well, curious to see how long it will really last..

I have seen in some states that require emission testing, this no-name cat actually had lower emission outputs than the Honda when it was new! I'm thinking this cat might last 5-7 years is what I've heard aftermarkets usually last.

I had the cats changed on 2 of my vehicles and I don't recall this being more than a $500 repair for parts/labor.
That price is certainly doable with aftermarket cats. The OP isn't in California but his state does do emissions testing so he can't go cat-less.

That price is certainly doable with aftermarket cats. The OP isn't in California but his state does do emissions testing so he can't go cat-less.
Nor would I ever recommend not running a cat. Emissions testing is usually just OBD readiness...no more sniffers.

Nor would I ever recommend not running a cat. Emissions testing is usually just OBD readiness...no more sniffers.

Unless you fail a drive-by emissions test in Virginia. Then it's a dyno+sniffer test AND an OBD test. And you have 30 days to get that test done.

Unless you fail a drive-by emissions test in Virginia. Then it's a dyno+sniffer test AND an OBD test. And you have 30 days to get that test done.
Good thing I live in Richmond and not NOVA. As I understand it you choose that method.

Good thing I live in Richmond and not NOVA. As I understand it you choose that method.

NOVA is a non-attainment area per the EPA so emissions tests are required. This has been the case since at least 1985.

The drive-by emissions tests are because some people have figured out how to cheat with the OBD-II tests.

And some people also cheat by registering their vehicle in other parts of the state even though it's not actually driven or kept there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back