Insurance totaled car over catalytic converter theft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a thread about the catalytic converter being stolen in my 02 Accord.

I spoke with the insurance company and they have decided to total the car over this. The adjuster said this is due to the age of the car, coupled with the high costs of the cat, oxygen sensor and repair to the surrounding exhaust.

I'm pretty sad. This car has sentimental value. It has been in my family since new and still runs & looks great.

They will let me know the exact payout amount tomorrow but I have been given 2 options:

- Take the check and turn over the car and title to the insurance co.
- Take a reduced check and get to keep the car with a salvage title.

If I was to keep the car, what would a salvage title mean? Is it undriveable with a salvage title until it is fixed and certified by the state? Is the salvage branding then converted to clean?

I thought about finding someone to straight pipe the exhaust but it wouldn't be able to pass an emissions inspection, and it would obviously not pass any sort of re-certification by the state without a cat.

This is my first time dealing with a totaled vehicle. Any advice would be appreciated.

You have to really think about replacing it in today's crazy market. It might be worth keeping it even if repairs exceed the value of the car- compared to what it would cost to replace the vehicle. It has to pass emissions- doesn't it?

You have a third option - keep your car, tell the insurance thanks but no thanks, and fix it yourself. I'm sure you can get a cheap converter and get a muffler shop to make and exhaust pipe for less than $1000. I wouldn't involve the insurance company in this if they just want to scrap your car.

Does your state require OE cats to pass inspection? I know Maine does. You will need, obviously, a receipt for the new cat, and at a minimum the EPA certifications that it works for your car.

There may be a third choice, arrange with the insurance company for a "release of liability" or whatever they call it, where you let them off the hook for a certain check size, and you get to not re-title your vehicle.

The salvage title will turn into a rebuilt title after the state's blessing of your repair job which allows re-registering it. You will probably have your current registration voided in this whole mess, and get to deal with all sorts of fees every step of the way.

How rusty is your 20 year old Accord from the northeast? :unsure:

If you live in a non-emissions county, it doesn't matter because you don't actually have to replace it, or at least you can use the cheapest aftermarket cat on ebay :sneaky:

Once you know how much the payout is, that will make for a more informed decision. I'm actually surprised you still have comprehensive insurance on a car that old :D

If I was to keep the car, what would a salvage title mean? Is it undriveable with a salvage title until it is fixed and certified by the state? Is the salvage branding then converted to clean?
Salvage inspection only checks if major parts are roadworthy. No missing bumper or windshield, no fender or bumper with jagged edges sticking out, not putting out a smoke screen, wheels not falling off, etc. I doubt they would check for a cat unless it was loud.

There are brand new CATS for your model on eBay for less than $75 including shipping. If you value the car, just fix it and keep your title. Maybe the insurance company will kick in a few bucks if you get a repair estimate from an indy shop.

Just me, but I would never even think to call my insurance company over a cat on a 20 year old car (Or really any car for that matter). This falls squarely into the 'fix it myself' category . Even if I had to pay someone to fix it. Unless there was massive damage to the car, insurance would never be involved.

Same thing with homeowners or anything like that. Lightning takes out an appliance, get a new one or fix it yourself.

I view insurance as being for catastrophic losses, anything else is my responsibility.

There are brand new CATS for your model on eBay for less than $75 including shipping. If you value the car, just fix it and keep your title. Maybe the insurance company will kick in a few bucks if you get a repair estimate from an indy shop.
have you used those personally? I'm doubting their quality
because unless its an i crackhead vendor llegally selling cut offs the rare metals alone are likely 5x-10x or more than that 75$ price.

@mclasser - I’m sorry for the trouble. Some guys stole from you and you’re stuck with the burden. I think your plan is sound. I’ve not heard any horror stories about gaining a salvage title, but I have heard there can be inconveniences, the inspector never shows up, stuff like that, which can be frustrating if you have to maintain a schedule and it costs time and money to take time off from work to meet a guy who doesn’t show up, etc..

One of my sisters has a 2003 Acura 3.2TL. Even though it is an older car, it is in fantastic shape since it was in Florida for most of its life before she got it. Her cat convertor was stolen about a month ago. She called me wondering why her car sounded "like a motorcycle".

I priced out replacements since it is in a strange spot with a flex pipe, and to buy the part from the manifold back to the resonator was almost $1800 for aftermarket stuff. I ended up getting some adapters from Advance Auto, a universal Magnaflow cat, and welding it all together for under $400. In CT it will pass emissions as long as the check engine light is off.

Cancel the claim and go out of pocket on this. Get a few quotes from local exhaust shops. Your insurance probably wont go up if they don't pay out, still possible, but less likely with a $0 claim.

I have a thread about the catalytic converter being stolen in my 02 Accord.

I spoke with the insurance company and they have decided to total the car over this. The adjuster said this is due to the age of the car, coupled with the high costs of the cat, oxygen sensor and repair to the surrounding exhaust.

I'm pretty sad. This car has sentimental value. It has been in my family since new and still runs & looks great.

They will let me know the exact payout amount tomorrow but I have been given 2 options:

- Take the check and turn over the car and title to the insurance co.
- Take a reduced check and get to keep the car with a salvage title.

I thought about finding someone to straight pipe the exhaust but it wouldn't be able to pass an emissions inspection, and it would obviously not pass any sort of re-certification by the state without a cat.

This is my first time dealing with a totaled vehicle. Any advice would be appreciated.
The adjustor is ... Sorry, can't say it, but you know what I mean. Insurance adjustors have discretion. I'd call him and give him your option: you paid insurance, you did nothing wrong. He can either make it right and pay for the repair, or he can deal with your lawyer. I just had a similar conversation after they botched a repair 3 times for an accident that we weren't at fault for. They didn't even want to cover a rental or loss of use. After I had that conversation with the adjustor, suddently the car was repaired perfectly on the 4th attempt and loss of use money materialized. What do ya know...

Don't let the insurance company "click" you around, take charge.

have you used those personally? I'm doubting their quality
because unless its an i crackhead vendor llegally selling cut offs the rare metals alone are likely 5x-10x or more than that 75$ price.
The few I saw on eBay are universal, generic, non-OEM cats. They are pictured as new and should be OK for a 20 year old Accord. Now maybe they DO suck and may only last a few years, but what does the OP have to lose for $73?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back