Insurance company wants money for Rental car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: montero1
My nephews car was hit while he was at work, the person that hit it left a note, and gave his insurance info later on.

He drops the car off at a BWW dealer, so they can assess the damage- it needed a rear bumper cover, and some work underneath.

He gets a rental car the day he drops the car off, and keeps the car until it's repaired, 9 days later (parts had to be ordered). The other parties insurance (USAA), is telling him that he owes for 6 days for the rental car. They said because he chose to take the car to the place of his choice, he should have waited until the parts were in before getting the rental.

Was he supposed to have the dealer put the old parts back on until the new parts arrived? Maybe drive around with no bumper?

He got his car back, and hasn't paid anything so far. I guess in time they would send a collection notice? He called his insurance (Aetna) to see how to deal with this, they basically told him to get lost, not their issue.......

I've been with USAA for 40 years and unfortunately I think that's the way it works. Couple weeks ago my wife's vehicle sustained almost $4k in damage while sitting in a parking lot - individual did not leave a note and left the scene. We chose to take it to a very good body shop that is not one of USAA's. The adjuster told me to make sure I only use a rental car while the car is actually being repaired. And because that type of accident is considered collision, we had to fork over the 500 deductible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
It sounds like he didn't call his insurance company at the time of the accident. If he had done this any confusion in regards to expenses could have been avoided. His insurance company would have contacted the other parties insurance and advised him on a rental car.

I don't really see this as being the fault of HIS INSURANCE company.

Even if he's not filing a claim, his own insurance should know about it.

My policy, with my company, with my state (blah blah) reads that I have to call them to report an accident regardless of fault, and regardless of if I expect to make a claim. They would rather hear about it from me than from someone else way down the road!

From a customer service POV they should take ten minutes to explain to you how the system works in your state and how to get the other insurance to properly make you whole.

If you have full coverage you can then have them fix you up and subrogate the other ins as appropriate.

But even if you're liablity only they should be helpful to a degree.

That is absolutely crazy that an insurance company can require you to go to their body shop. That is against the law here. They can have approved shops where the shop takes the place of an adjuster and things can go faster. If an insurance company here requires you to go to their shop for work, you can report them to the state board and get a nice check from your insurance company.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
That is absolutely crazy that an insurance company can require you to go to their body shop. That is against the law here. They can have approved shops where the shop takes the place of an adjuster and things can go faster. If an insurance company here requires you to go to their shop for work, you can report them to the state board and get a nice check from your insurance company.

Yes - in CA (and I imagine other states as well), you have the right to choose the body shop you'd like to do the repair. USAA advises the policyholder of that when they report an accident and/or submit a claim.

I'm almost positive in MD you can chose the shop of your own. I don't know that the damage could have been assessed while he waited, and if it could have been, it would have been several hours. Also, I don't see them bolting back up the old parts so he could wait on getting the rental car. I also was always told that you DON'T involve your own insurance, in the even you are definitely at fault.

I just think this takes some nerve of them to make a big deal out of a couple hundred dollars since it was their moron that plowed into someones car while it was parked.

Insurance and Body Shop worked it out, nephew owes nothing.
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back